Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whose job is it to make sure his team is good at free throws (one of the easiest things to coach)? Whose teams have been bad at free throws for years? You think it's just luck that some teams are good at free throws? That's coaching, it's practice, it's discipline.
Isn't Santi one of our best FT shooters normally?

Tallest midget...
He's gotten worse every year he's been here. Again, I'm a fan of Barnes, he's been amazing for us. But it's absolutely his fault when his team do stupid things mentally and can't hit free throws.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
Between our first SEC tourney game and our first NCAA tourney game.
I think Barnes got complacent, after $5 mil. Lost a couple really good AC's and better recruiters.

Didnt close with a few kids. This team just isnt that talented. They're better when they can drive the paint to open 3's. Dont have that Jaden Springer to gash to the hole.

Not sure what else to say.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
The truth is that we don't have a team full of highly recruited players. The fact that we became a top ten team is a credit to coaching. It just seems that most other teams have better athletes than we do. I think recruiting is the number one problem that our coaches need to fix.
We have definitely overachieved. I think the lack of talent and depth is catching up to us though.

Reactions: SoilVol
Whose job is it to make sure his team is good at free throws (one of the easiest things to coach)? Whose teams have been bad at free throws for years? You think it's just luck that some teams are good at free throws? That's coaching, it's practice, it's discipline.
The lineup change was a good Move. The foul with 4 seconds was a good call too. They even missed the first free throw. He coached great but the players choked it away. You are just being immature and lashing out like a child.

Santi shot 80% from FT tonight. Him and Key turned a 17 point deficit into a 6 point lead at one point.

Losing our only 2 5 stars is going to make this final stretch of games a damn battle. If we’re lucky the team steps up and they are playing for the Win in the final 4 seconds every game.

Gutted, these young men are playing hard and deserve success. Hate to see fans being so brutal of a 19-6 team that has out performed their talent this year.

Just need to get healthy fast and keep playing hard. ZZ is just a sophomore, he’s still learning.

Hopefully these last minute buzzer beaters don’t happen in the tournament. Still feel like if we are healthy & get hot we can make noise.

A few observations on tonight’s game:

Vescovi, Mashack, Key and ZZ led the comeback and expended a lot of energy. Tired legs produce late FT misses. Lack of guard depth and losing ZZ to fouls beat us.
Mizzou could not miss. Banked threes and the last shot, they were unconscious.
If Phillips had not gotten hurt then probably no comeback.
This team played up to their potential in 1st half of season and now is struggling. We just need to make the NCAA tourney. With all its short comings, this team can still beat anyone in country when they are together and hitting shots.

The lineup change was a good Move. The foul with 4 seconds was a good call too. They even missed the first free throw. He coached great but the players choked it away. You are just being immature and lashing out like a child.
I didn't say he made zero good coaching moves. I said coaches are responsible when their teams are bad at free throws.

Reactions: VolNash17
We're just not as good as we thought we were. We're definitely missing pieces.

And I go back to what I said earlier, Barnes needs an assistant that can unlock the players' offensive potential. Even when we bring in high rated guys, we don't seem to get the offense out of them we should. They play defense great, but they're not living up to their offensive potential. It's like they're scared. Phillips should be much better on the offensive end than he has been.

I think they're as good as we thought but they're also flawed. Our guys got cocky af after the win against Texas and bought into their own hype. They notched a lot of good wins against very good teams. That's the proof of their talent level. Now they're coming down from letting themselves get too full of themselves and have some injuries to mend. They can still make something of the season with a good tourney run if they use this as motivation instead of letting it crash them all the way down.

As for Barnes and the offense, I agree. We need someone helping on that end. Defense is a thing of beauty at times but offense doesn't just run dry at times, it turns into an absolute void - a bottomless pit of nothingness.

Reactions: SoilVol
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back