Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bob Gibson was another one that would buzz the control tower on a regular basis.
Favorite Gibson story as told by Tim McCarver. TM went out to the mound to visit Gibson about getting a little wild. Gibson basically told him to STFU because the only thing he knew about good pitching was it was hard to hit it. 🤣

Intimidators I enjoyed..... Goose, the mad hungarian and the one, the only Nolan Ryan. Always tuned in when those guys were on the bump.
When I was about 13 and had moved up to Babe Ruth ball we were playing a team from Bowling Green and they had this big kid that looked like he was 20 but was around 16 that could hum it. He was warming up between innings and I was the next man up and the catcher looked me and sad be careful he is wild as hell.......he could have rolled up there on the ground and I would have ducked swung. Big fun talking about it now but then......welcome to the bigger league fella.

Not saying Mike could take Ali but you do realize Tyson was knee deep in cocaine, women and booze leading up to the Douglas fight, right? he should have never stepped into the ring.

For the money I always thought Roy Jones Jr has the fasted hands in boxing. Loved watching him. Haven't watched boxing in about 20 years though. Its a huge yawn now.
Ali treated Ken Norton like an exhibition. He only sparred. Ken Norton! You know the Ken Norton that’s a top 15 heavyweight. He lost a split decision. Not an ass whuppin. Ali came back from that and dominated till Parkinson’s.

Ali treated Ken Norton like an exhibition. He only sparred. Ken Norton! You know the Ken Norton that’s a top 15 heavyweight. He lost a split decision. Not an ass whuppin. Ali came back from that and dominated till Parkinson’s.
Ali never was the same after the Thriller in Manila, Ali and Frazier almost killed each other. That was the greatest rivalry in boxing and maybe in sports if you consider what they put each other through.

All of this boxing talk reminded me of another "stupid things you did as a kid in the 70s-80s moment". I went with a buddy of mine on their family vacation to the OuterBanks. Rode in the enclosed bed of their diesel pickup, complete with nary a seat belt and an extra diesel tank with the included fumes . It was the night of Duran/Leonard 1, and we listened to the fight on some high powered AM station out of NYC on a transistor radio. Great fight from what I can recall, post diesel fumes and all. 😜

Every family trip - until I was a teenager - was in the bed of a truck with a topper (I think that’s what they were called). It wasn’t a camper, it was just a cover for the bed of the truck that was approx the same height as the cab of the truck. And you had at least four C Clamps holding it on.

We had cushions and pillows back there and a gallon jug for on-the-go bathroom breaks. Pass snacks through the little sliding window between the truck cab and the bed - good times.

Every family trip - until I was a teenager - was in the bed of a truck with a topper (I think that’s what they were called). It wasn’t a camper, it was just a cover for the bed of the truck that was approx the same height as the cab of the truck. And you had at least four C Clamps holding it on.

We had cushions and pillows back there and a gallon jug for on-the-go bathroom breaks. Pass snacks through the little sliding window between the truck cab and the bed - good times.
Growing up I didn't even know kids could ride in the front of the truck !!!!:)

Are we still going after any new guys or do they feel that we have what they want ? It seems like the rumor mill has calmed quite a bit in the last day or two.

Reactions: hooter vol
A few years back when Barry Zito was playing for the Nashville Sounds on a rehab before he retired I was setting behind home plate. I thought I had seen a real curve ball...........I can say now I have seen a REAL CURVE BALL. It looked like it broke three or four feet and he could throw it anywhere he wanted it to go. A real treat to see someone that good up close.
Darryl Kile could throw a complete game using just his curve…ungodly!

Vols WR talked about the “real football” stuff from Kentucky week. Really cool listening to him talk about his personal relationship with Heupel too.

Just now got a chance to watch this - loved every minute of it! Thanks for sharing! Not hard to see why Frerking has been incredibly successful thus far.

Back in the early 70’s, father was in USAF, stationed at Reese AFB in Lubbock, TX and was transferred to Eielson AFB in Fairbanks, AK. Dad bought a Dodge 4x4 and put a topper on it and sprayed it with insulation. Pulled a Winnebago camper behind us, despite the USAF strongly warned against doing so. Took the sliding glass window out so we could talk with parents. Left Lubbock before Christmas, stayed a week in LA with relatives, and drove the rest of the way arriving in Fairbanks on Feb. 4th. That was a looooong trip. Dad found out why USAF didn’t recommend pulling a camper. Once we reached Whitehorse Canada, everything froze up and couldn’t use the camper the rest of the way. But telling my dad not to do something was like waving a red flag in front of a bull. He was going to show you how to do it. Haven’t cared for trucks with toppers or pulling campers ever since. 🤣🤣

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back