Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
The loss overall isn't all on Barnes, that is not fair at all but he does deserve some pretty pointed criticism without FAHRING him. 15-2 run with no timeout, this prehistoric all defense/no offense system, the continued inability to recruit or create a consistent scoring threat. All fair and warranted criticism imo.

At least everyone will be nice and level headed about this loss.

We don’t have our starting PG, one of the best players in the country. FAU won 33 (now 34) games for a reason. We didn’t rebound and we didn’t make the gimmes. Barnes could have called a time out sooner, but other than that, we just got plain beat.

FAU is not good. That’s a terrible loss. Barnes is not changing and it’s hurting us now. We will be much worse next year and everyone will be screaming for him to go. Need a young innovative coach.

What evidence that we will be worse? We have shooters and a top 50 big guy coming. We won’t be bad at all.

Reactions: hooter vol
Out hustled and out rebounded. Didn’t drive against a team much smaller than us… rotation on defense was terrible. Lucky we didn’t lose by more

Reactions: jave36
Multiple reasons we lost

1. FAU started making some the shots they missed in the 1st half.

2. Barnes in game management was not good.

3. FAU’s game plan was to neutralize our physicality by flopping and building a media narrative of us beating up people. Jay Bilas also helped with his smh.

4. Terrible officiating in the 2nd half, partially due to point 3.

5. We could not hit the broad side of a barn the last several minutes when we did get shots. This is when not having a PG also came back to bite us.
The officiating was not that bad. I counted 2 or 3 bad calls against us, a couple against them.

Yeah, but there are other attractive jobs out there that have struggled to find consistency (Florida, Indiana, etc). Texas took a while to find their footing post Barnes.

I just really can’t understand fans holding Tennessee basketball to a standard it has never reached.

Because at some point you have to get tired of losing big games to inferior teams. Why do think it’s somehow wrong to want the BB team to be good and surpass what it always has been?

The loss overall isn't all on Barnes, that is not fair at all but he does deserve some pretty pointed criticism without FAHRING him. 15-2 run with no timeout, this prehistoric all defense/no offense system, the continued inability to recruit or create a consistent scoring threat. All fair and warranted criticism imo.

Bingo

Who was in our administration…. A much better group in charge…. We have one of the biggest arenas in the country…. One of the best fan support…. Some of the best financial support in the country…. We just didn’t have good leadership.

Lol. I listened to this reasoning all through the last few years of Fulmer. Here we are in 2023, finality relevant in football again. That’s my point. It is much more likely we hire a few busts before returning to consistency, regardless of all the positives in our favor.

Stick with the guy you know will get you to the tourney every year

@Enki_Amenra, I told you something didn’t smell right with all the money coming on us and the line still dropping. Vegas knew the refs would control the game in favor of FAU, so they pushed all their money in on FAU and making sure the money came in on TN. They were hoping FAU would be able to capitalize on the favorable whistle, and that’s exactly what happened. It helped change the momentum of the game.

Yeah, but there are other attractive jobs out there that have struggled to find consistency (Florida, Indiana, etc). Texas took a while to find their footing post Barnes.

I just really can’t understand fans holding Tennessee basketball to a standard it has never reached.
Losing to Duke would have been fine. Losing to FAU with an elite 8 on the line with five days to prepare and looking like that is the problem. And it’s typical Barnes. Texas got tired of excuses and loses that should have been wins. March is where it matters.

A Sweet 16 game for my least favorite Barnes coached team, is way better than I thought they'd do 3 weeks ago.
IMO This team over performed considering injuries and lack of shooters. Defense carried them to lots of wins, but without ZZ at the end and without a healthy JJJ for much of the season our offense just struggled. I am not sure JJJ was ever 100%. It hurts to lose like this, but lots of teams are just wishing to be in Sweet Sixteen

The officiating was not that bad. I counted 2 or 3 bad calls against us, a couple against them.
It wasn’t as bad as Tennessee fans will make it seem… but I do think the refs allowed Fau to play a little more physical than they allowed UT to

Losing to Duke would have been fine. Losing to FAU with an elite 8 on the line with five days to prepare and looking like that is the problem. And it’s typical Barnes. Texas got tired of excuses and loses that should have been wins. March is where it matters.

We drop Barnes, we head to the gutter for a while - book it

Reactions: hooter vol
My most pissed off point of the game was right near the start of their run…. We ran three straight ISO plays with guys that had no business having an ISO ran for them.

He is 68. He isn’t going to change. Barnes needs to pack his bags and hit the road.

He is going to have to do something. With our offense and style of play I don't see us getting the top level talent year in and year out, especially at the wing position moving forward.

I'm not trying to get rid of him though. As long as he is making the tournament every year he is good in my book. But our offense sucks and it's super basic.

Reactions: Revived2002
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back