Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
College basketball's championship is both the most exciting and the most frustrating.

You give Coach Barnes a full week to prepare for a championship game OR you give him a best of 3 series to decide and I'd put him against anyone in the country.

But when it comes down to a tournament run of winning 6 games straight in basically 2.5 weeks and it's honestly hard to feel confident about any coach that's not at a blue blood school stacked with talent.

We may not be a traditional blue blood but I don't think anybody in the country is going to simply out-talent UT right now.

What if told you we'd win 3 football national titles by the year 2040?

VN be like...
not-good.gif

Higher expectations come with success and the situation around you. AD White - Great AD with a great history supporting and hiring coaches. Looking at the SEC programs and the most recent financial data Tennessee out spent everyone in basketball except Kentucky. Great fan support. This isn’t the 80’s and 90’s anymore. Sweet 16’s are reasonable goal but even then UT has seen 1 of those recently despite being high seed.

I guess my thing being that I've been watching UT basketball for 3 decades now is that our expectations shouldn't be what Kentucky, North Carolina, Duke, or Kansas fans expect from their programs.

Yes eventually it'd be nice for the Vols to rise to that level of FF or bust every year, but the program has only made the Elite Eight once.

We've had 2 SECT championships since the 40s, we've only been ranked in the preseason 17 times. The school is 23-25 in the NCAA Tournament. Only 6 coaches in program history have even made an appearance in the NCAA.

Things I keep in mind when looking at our success as a program under Barnes. I absolutely want to see him win a Natty here. I absolutely want to see him make a FF or multiples while here. But right now I just want to see yearly Sweet Sixteen appearances and a team that's always ranked and competing for the SEC regular season or conference tournament championship...that he has at least given us.
I think UT's basketball program has now risen to a level that it can attempt to start to make that leap. To do so, Elite Eight appearances need to become a relatively regular event. Barnes has helped elevate this program. They now must figure out how to elevate their performances in the NCAA tournament. Sweet 16 appearances mean that you beat 2 teams that you were expected to beat soundly. You need to raise your expectations. An Elite 8 game is the first time that you will meet an opponent in the NCAA tournament that is expected to give you a real game. Failure to reach the Elite 8 at this point should be deemed a failure.

With that being said. Happy Rick stabilized the program with consistent tournament appearances even if UT gets bounced earlier than their seeding suggests. Bruce and Rick have made UT one of the best basketball jobs in the SEC due to their consistent success since 05’. Add in AD Danny White who’s going to fully support the basketball program and you have a pretty dang good basketball job at UT. Hopefully Rick can crack another Sweet 16 at least this season. He’s a good guy and if you’re a fan of UT obviously you hope to see that happen

No one except maybe Checkerboard wants Barnes FIRED…. It would be ridiculous. But discussing the situation is a different issue itself. He’s a great guy you want to see break through. Maybe that’s this season? But don’t down play the UT job. The resources are there. There’s a 15 year good history with Bruce and Rick. Plus again the new AD that by all accounts has a fantastic track record hiring and supporting the program. This isn’t the same as the 80’s - 90’s.

I think UT's basketball program has now risen to a level that it can attempt to start to make that leap. To do so, Elite Eight appearances need to become a relatively regular event. Barnes has helped elevate this program. They now must figure out how to elevate their performances in the NCAA tournament.

For sure, between Pearl and Barnes and now DW as AD it's obvious that it's possible.

Barnes has created an amazing culture and he's recruiting better than any previous coach has...but winning at least 2 in the tournament should become the norm now. Not sure if this year's squad is the team that can finally get to a FF or further for UT, but I really think it's something we could see happen before ZZ graduates.

No one except maybe Checkerboard wants Barnes FIRED…. It would be ridiculous. But discussing the situation is a different issue itself. He’s a great guy you want to see break through. Maybe that’s this season? But don’t down play the UT job. The resources are there. There’s a 15 year good history with Bruce and Rick. Plus again the new AD that by all accounts has a fantastic track record hiring and supporting the program. This isn’t the same as the 80’s - 90’s.
I loved Coach Dickey but let’s all be real. He loved the football program ALOT… AD White is more balanced with his efforts in supporting both programs with resources needed to compete.

That's fair... LOL

Pearl woke the sleeping giant.
Barnes fixed the culture and has made us a contender in the SEC

NOW we need to see some consistent results in the tournament...can't be a top 6 seed losing before the 3rd round IMO. Not when you got the talent and culture you want in place.

With that being said. Happy Rick stabilized the program with consistent tournament appearances even if UT gets bounced earlier than their seeding suggests. Bruce and Rick have made UT one of the best basketball jobs in the SEC due to their consistent success since 05’. Add in AD Danny White who’s going to fully support the basketball program and you have a pretty dang good basketball job at UT. Hopefully Rick can crack another Sweet 16 at least this season. He’s a good guy and if you’re a fan of UT obviously you hope to see that happen
You guys that are hoping to reach the Sweet 16 are going into the NCAA tournament expecting failure.

Halle was the one who trolled for Oregon. Kept riding the Nico Crystal Ball from Wiltfong…even after he switched it to UT. Checkerboard is an equal opportunity troll…anybody but the Vols! 😎
This is true. I unblocked him because I couldn’t remember why I did. Two days later I felt the need to argue with him for hours. Caught myself and blocked him again. Happiness

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back