Recruiting Forum Football Talk [RIP 9.3.2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
She’s really bad. And I’m someone who really wants women to be in these spots and for there to be some sense of equality in the sports media landscape.

Dreading what she’s going to do to my lunch break - because Sports 180 was my favorite show in 990’s lineup.

Same here. I'll probably catch the afternoon concert on WUOT, 91.9. It's literally impossible to listen to Heather and not get a headache. As good as Josh is on the radio, I'm curious to see what kind of rapport he can build with Heather, and hopefully pull together some semblance of a show. It's unfortunate, because I think that Josh is really talented and can be great on the radio.

Reactions: Bret178
Same here. I'll probably catch the afternoon concert on WUOT, 91.9. It's literally impossible to listen to Heather and not get a headache. As good as Josh is on the radio, I'm curious to see what kind of rapport he can build with Heather, and hopefully pull together some semblance of a show. It's unfortunate, because I think that Josh is really talented and can be great on the radio.
Josh is really good. I’m surprised a bigger market hasn’t hired him away yet.

So this morning I was taking a closer look at our offensive line coach and his previous SEC stint because after all that’s the sort of thing you guys pay me to do. Below is his bio from UTSports. The red text is data I’ve added to perhaps provide some perspective. In 2011, GA went 10-4, 2012 12-2, 2013 8-5, and 2014 10-3.

Georgia (2011-14)

Friend spent four seasons at Georgia, beginning in 2011 as offensive line coach and adding the title of running game coordinator in 2013. During his final season in Athens in 2014, Friend helped guide a Bulldogs’ offense that averaged 41.3 points per game, which ranked eighth nationally, and racked up 457.8 yards of total offense per game.

Against teams ranked in the Top 25, UGA compiled a 3-2 record while scoring 34.4 points per game. Additionally, the 2014 Bulldogs’ offense ranked in the top 15 nationally in rushing offense (257.0; 11th in FBS), team passing efficiency (156.06; ninth in FBS), completion percentage (67.4 percent; seventh in FBS), fewest interceptions (6; ninth in FBS), third-down conversion percentage (49.7 percent; eighth in FBS) and fourth-down conversion percentage (80.0 percent; third in FBS). He helped develop (Isaiah) Wynn [2014 recruiting class 0.9474] that season, laying the foundation for the future first round pick.

Friend and the offensive staff at Georgia also posted record-setting numbers in 2012 and 2013, including single-season total offense (6,547 in 2012 and 6,294 in 2013); average yards per game (484.2 in ‘13 and 467.64 in ‘12) and touchdowns in a season (72 in 2012 and 58 in ‘13).

He also coached three 2012 NFL draft choices – offensive tackle Cordy Glenn (second round, Buffalo Bills) [2008 recruiting class 0.9108], center Ben Jones (fourth round, Houston Texans) [2008 recruiting class 0.9156], and offensive tackle Justin Anderson (seventh round, Indianapolis Colts) [2007 recruiting class converted DT 0.9000]. Friend also coached offensive tackle John Theus, [2012 recruiting class 0.9915] who was selected in the fifth round of the 2016 draft by San Francisco.

ScreenHunter 88.png

In addition to the older guys he inherited from 2007 and 2008, these are the recruiting classes he had to work with while he was at Georgia.

ScreenHunter 89.png

Fair warning: If our offensive line doesn't improve this year I'm starting the petition to bring back Sam Pittman.

I feel so bad for Josh Ward right now. Buddy needs to look at Nashville and save his career imo. Maybe I'm being harsh on Heather but I could not stand her and I simply dont listen when shes on.
Amongst his co-workers, Josh has got to feel like the case of mistaken identity and accidentally thrown in the asylum.
Scared, alone and doesn't belong.

Reactions: RikidyBones
True. Though so many fans still can't understand this league will never be the same as it was 10 or 20 years ago. We aren't going backwards to UK and Vandy recruiting the worst of the worst and going 2-10 year in and year out. This isn't your father's SEC.

Just look at the 247 team talent composite.

UK - 32nd - only 1 spot behind VT and 1 spot ahead of TCU. Both teams that are good because of good coaches. That is all UK really needs to be fairly dangerous.

USC - 21st - 1 spot behind Washington. Just 6 behind UT...

Vandy - 45th - a spot behind Utah and 1 above NW. 2 other respectable programs when they have had a good head coach.

Yes we should beat them more often than not, but the gap has closed for the foreseeable future. This league doesn't have a Kansas, Wake Forest, Oregon St, etc at the moment.

Very well put. The hope is that Pruitt is a better coach than Stoops, Muschamp and Mason...which he should be, they aren't "elite" by any stretch. I feel like Stoops might be the best of the 3 honestly. Mason is a "let's make a bowl" type of coach, and Vanderbilt seems alright with that at the moment. Muschamp had elite talent at Florida and didn't really do anything of note except one season. Stoops has slowly built Kentucky and has had 3 winning seasons in a row now.

UT historically is #2 in the SEC, I think fans expect that...but to me it's not likely we return to that level within the next 2-3 years if at all to be honest. I'd just like to see us as one of the top 3 in the East year in and out.

I'm confused by the 99.1 switch up honestly. Thought Heather -wanted- that morning show slot? Will West and Tyler going to be hard to listen to I think. Not a fan of West and Tyler...well he was paired with Heather so I didn't give them much listen.

Honestly agree Josh is one of the better voices on the station though. Him and John are probably top 2 for me, I like Ainge fairly well too.

I'm confused by the 99.1 switch up honestly. Thought Heather -wanted- that morning show slot? Will West and Tyler going to be hard to listen to I think. Not a fan of West and Tyler...well he was paired with Heather so I didn't give them much listen.

Honestly agree Josh is one of the better voices on the station though. Him and John are probably top 2 for me, I like Ainge fairly well too.
it's because Heather wanted the noon slot because she has a kid now

it's because Heather wanted the noon slot because she has a kid now
Someone called in yesterday and asked Will West how he felt about the change and he did his best to sell it but you could tell he was pissed.

Then this morning on my commute to work Heather is bragging about no longer having to set a “4 AM alarm” anymore and how glad she is to not be on mornings and there’s just this fat, awkward silence before Tyler changed the subject.

Ainge Show is the only show I listen to from WNML. Should haven given Josh and Will more time.

Stars dont matter tho!

4* on at least one service is a pretty big net. A better measurement might be composite. Might also be nice to see how many guys with at least one 4* don't get drafted, and further consider that half of the guys drafted weren't 4*, meaning that they missed on as many as they hit on.

It really isn't as impressive as it sounds, but yeah, dudes who do this full time get it right occasionally.

Someone called in yesterday and asked Will West how he felt about the change and he did his best to sell it but you could tell he was pissed.

Then this morning on my commute to work Heather is bragging about no longer having to set a “4 AM alarm” anymore and how glad she is to not be on mornings and there’s just this fat, awkward silence before Tyler changed the subject.
She will be dropped and theyll have another reorg. I hope Josh heads to Nashville or another station.

Did any of you all read this story on Niedermeyer by Ubben? The Athletic does let you read 3 stories for free each month and I used the last free one on it and it was excellent. Not sure how I got the free 3 a month but maybe it was from downloading the athletic app? 3 is better than nothing and Ubben is very good.

Reactions: SweetasSoda
So this morning I was taking a closer look at our offensive line coach and his previous SEC stint because after all that’s the sort of thing you guys pay me to do. Below is his bio from UTSports. The red text is data I’ve added to perhaps provide some perspective. In 2011, GA went 10-4, 2012 12-2, 2013 8-5, and 2014 10-3.

View attachment 203881

In addition to the older guys he inherited from 2007 and 2008, these are the recruiting classes he had to work with while he was at Georgia.

View attachment 203883

Fair warning: If our offensive line doesn't improve this year I'm starting the petition to bring back Sam Pittman.
Petition...telethon...prayer vigil? Whatevs...he retires at UGA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back