Recruiting Forum Football Talk [RIP 9.3.2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quality answer. And I agree.

But why don’t the people say that as opposed to the stars rankings don’t matter stance.
I think they're relying on the coaches to pick the ones that outplay the service rankings.

Given their pedigrees, I give them a good sized benefit of the doubt.

Okay so serious non trolling question here....

There was some negative reaction from fans when the last two guys committed, based on their "rankings."

This of course led to a number of guys bashing the guys being negative, and basically suggesting that rankings/stars don't matter.

My question is... if rankings/stars don't matter and every kid we take is good in your opinion because the staff likes them, etc.... why do you even really follow recruiting? Maybe that isn't the right way to ask the question. But the point I'm trying to make is that most of us have careers/families/etc. We're not full time scouts. Neither are you.

As such, generally speaking the first thing probably 99% of any of us look at when we offer a kid, or a kid commits, or visits, etc, is their recruiting profile and their ranking.

Are rankings the end all be all? Of course not. There are exceptions to the rule. But by and large, the best teams in college football are the ones who have the best recruiting classes. And those recruiting classes are based on rankings. Clemson, Alabama, UGA, Oklahoma, OSU, etc....

Now, I get calling out the people who insult or trash a kid based off of .85XX composite. The staff can identify talent and if the kid didn't have some, then the staff wouldn't accept the commitment or likely even offer. But I don't get the snarky holier than though attitude towards those of us who question a commitment. Because if everyone is being honest, even the stars don't matter crowd, if they had their choice of Rakim Jarrett committing yesterday over Calloway, they'd go with Rakim. Or Marshawn Lloyd over Ebony Jackson, they'd choose Lloyd. Et cetera et cetera et cetera....

Sports are an escape by their very nature, and thus, many fans want to remain irrationally optimistic. Nothing necessarily wrong with that.

Reactions: chargervol
I want to see what our list looked like last April and what we actually signed.

Guaranteed it it looks way different.
If you recall, a few players that were committed said they hadn't heard from the staff in a while in January. A few of the commits won't be part of the class. I think many of the early commits are conditional based on how well they progress during their senior year.

Today will be about ball striking. Whoever controls his golf ball the best today will win. The winds will be whipping around that place. Molinari has been really good the first 3 days...is he due for a meh round and a few bogeys? Tiger has been really good, too. Think about this...if Tiger had made 75-80% of his putts from inside 10 feet, he would probably be in the lead by 2-3 shots or more. If he can continue to strike it the way he has been especially with the driver and can make the shorter putts like yesterday, I like his chances. If the his putting inside 10 feet sucks like the first 2 days, he won’t win.
Good call..I thought somebody inside 3 shots was going to go off and drive the winning score down to 15 under...the weather definitely changed that. You are right, If Tiger was putting just a smidge better inside 6 feet the first couple of days, he would have won by 4-6 instead of one.

Now...what do you think of his chances going forward? It is obvious to me that he is going to be a force every time he tees it up in majors...for as long as his health holds out. That's three in a row he has been at the top on the final day.

Reactions: OGbabyaviVol
Literally nothing else to do in Nebraska.

Plus rumor is Alabama probably multiplied the actual attendance by 3 and posted that number.

We would have 90,000+ if we had hired Peyton Manning as head coach. That’s how I explain Nebraska. Otherwise we’re doing well for a program that has been an SEC bottom feeder for a decade or more.

Look, I do not condone anything he did, but when you have the fame and money he has, you can have pretty much anything you want - without much effort at all. It is easy to say that we wouldn't act like him, but the truth is that most would give in to something that other people do not even have access to. It is not like he was stuck in one city with his family.

I think most people who hate him probably subconsciously are simply envious of him. If that is not you, then more power to you.

I do not practice a lot of things. I don't drink or smoke or go out on my wife. Most people on this board would think I am old-fashioned (just ask the pot smoking crowd), but I am not delusional. His amount money and fame would make it hard for anyone to stay on the straight and narrow. That is my opinion. If you do not agree with it, that is OK. I choose to forgive his past, and enjoy his golf game. That is not the same as condoning the behavior.

By the way, do any of you Tiger haters want to Bring Back Bruce? If so, isn't that a bit hypocritical?
Thanks for your reply. I understand where you are coming from as the fame. But, there are plenty of guys that have been good golfers and good husbands as well. The greatest golfer of all time comes to mind. Side note, they have turned Augusta National into a long resort course. I saw Kistner draw it left of the flag on 16 and it gets caught up in a strip of rough, that used to never happen mainly because it wasn’t there.

Wait a second

They said he couldn’t win a major from behind
Tiger...just doing things even he has never done before..

The haters don't realize or appreciate the greatness we just had the great opportunity to witness. As Jim Nantz rightly said..this one of the greatest accomplishments in sports..all sports...history.

Reactions: jlawso21
I was wondering where all them young guys who passed up Tiger were at??? Did they not enter the Masters this year? Tiger wouldnt have won with them in it 😉
They all just got to see it up close...I hope they enjoyed it, because he ain't goin anywhere...now they know...and this ain't even 100% Tiger.

Reactions: HeadVol77
I played golf in college and was a pro for a little while. I just don’t like it when azzclowns like bass start preaching about golf. I don’t comment on catching carp
We all comment on stuff we are not subject matter experts on. I did not play any sports past the 10th grade, but I still feel knowledgeable enough to comment on most major sports. Would I know what kind of shot to make from the high rough with a tree nearby? Probably not. But, I still know a good golf shot when I see one.

They all just got to see it up close...I hope they enjoyed it, because he ain't goin anywhere...now they know...and this ain't even 100% Tiger.
They were saying that Tiger and Nicklaus are the only ones to win a major in 3 different decades. Wouldnt it be something if Tiger is the first one to do it in 4? 90s, 00s, 10s and 20s. That would be something.

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill
We all comment on stuff we are not subject matter experts on. I did not play any sports past the 10th grade, but I still feel knowledgeable enough to comment on most major sports. Would I know what kind of shot to make from the high rough with a tree nearby? Probably not. But, I still know a good golf shot when I see one.
I got you. You are like the Bama Bandwagon fan for Golf. It’s ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back