Recruiting Forum Football Talk [RIP 9.3.2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
So actually ... Or just a guess? Lol

Well. I saw the list that JB put out a day before it went out. Was told he’d be interviewing tomorrow and that was yesterday. Enos on Friday. I’m just cautious to post it because it did seem a little out of left field at first. It just seems everything being reported is a day behind. And again, I’m just relaying info from a text thread. I don’t know it to be gospel truth either. I’m just as skeptical as everyone else. 👊🏼

Reactions: Brillovol
I know we’ve said it nonstop, but it must be said...

Butch actually hired an elite coordinator, and somehow, hindered him enough to field the worst defenses in Tennessee history.
The guy that everyone keeps arguing with, the one with the Butch Jones avatar? Yeah, well, that's what I'll always remember him for.
Endless posts about how Shoop was actually the worst DC to ever come through UT. Just kept repeating that Bob was total trash and made Sunseri look good.
Now he hates Friend 😂😂😂

The passing game creates his running game. Defenses are forced to go wide and run a bunch as well due to tempo. Then he hits them with the run game.
he also utilizes the wide line splits putting the best pass rushers one step farther away giving u that split second, helps the run too

Reactions: millst987
I'm not sure Pruitt will be on board with a very high paced offense. I'm sure Briles could adjust however.
See, this makes sense from a high level, but considering two of the names we’re hearing the most are Briles/Yurcich I don’t think pace is as big a factor as we think.

Ultimately, I think Pruitt wants a innovative playcaller and Briles/Yurcich are a couple of the most prolific playcallers in the game right now. I’m sure they can take what they do and make it fit within Pruitt’s game plan.

Anyone mind giving me a brief rundown of Briles' offense?
UH's new offense under Kendal Briles is about more than passing

What makes the offense so tough to defend?

The Cougars are likely to use sets that include no fewer than four receivers, with an emphasis placed on speed. The type of spread offense the Cougars will employ involves the receivers lining up in extraordinarily wide splits in comparison to most teams, usually from sideline to sideline. That spreads out the defense and often prevents them from making quick adjustments.

The wider defensive splits are designed to create running lanes. If a defense tries to bring help, for instance a safety against the run, it opens up passing game to take advantage of one-on-one coverage.

"I think our splits puts some problems on the defense and widens them out," Briles said. "If you pop a run you have a better chance of scoring."

An important component to the run game, Briles said, is a physical, downhill style that avoids negative-yardage plays.

"We're a physical, downhill team," he said. "We're not running a lot of sideways runs taking negative (yards). We run the ball downhill and we're going to be physical in the way we do that."

I relly want more competent poster so bad that I would gladly accept Briles as a trade

It's the days of #metoo, why do you need proof when allegations work just as well.. Anyway actual proof/slash evidence takes to much work...

I'm not leaving the Vols if Briles comes. You can put me on ignore if you would like. This isn't a #metoo situation...he was involved with the program with the most rampant amd systemic sexual misconduct problem in the last 30 years, possibly ever. His dad was the HC. Art Briles and Kenneth Starr took the blame, but others on staff had more knowledge and were more involved with a cover up. Maybe Art and Kendal Briles never talk to each other- but it's more likely they do, and I would personally rather risk missing out on a good coach than hire someone who was possibly involved with the BS that was happening on Baylor's campus.

i wouldnt make the mistake of assuming Pruitt is a ball control Saban type guy on offense. Hell Saban isnt that way anymore. Pruitt learned how to coach under Probst, who is a brilliant gameday caller, some weeks he would pass the chit out of it, some weeks run it 60 times depending on who he's playing and their weaknesses

The airraid and oregon type spread are starting to merge somewhat in coaching circles and pruitt knows what offenses are tough to defend

Reactions: Brillovol and drylo
I'm not leaving the Vols if Briles comes. You can put me on ignore if you would like. This isn't a #metoo situation...he was involved with the program with the most rampant amd systemic sexual misconduct problem in the last 30 years, possibly ever. His dad was the HC. Art Briles and Kenneth Starr took the blame, but others on staff had more knowledge and were more involved with a cover up. Maybe Art and Kendal Briles never talk to each other- but it's more likely they do, and I would personally rather risk missing out on a good coach than hire someone who was possibly involved with the BS that was happening on Baylor's campus.
I disagree with your stance but your point is valid, KB knew what AB was doing imo.

Imo Briles is a great hire if you want exciting football and are happy winning 7-9 games a year

If you want to win a championship you need to hire an OC that doesn't use pace

Reactions: DD4ME
I believe Pruitt can marry the Briles spread with his defense. You can put up a bunch of points quickly and slow tempo when you need to give your boys a rest on Defense after the opponent’s defense is winded. Theoretically it can work

Reactions: VolsNUT and StoVol
From a football standpoint, Kendal Briles would be a terrific hire. I watch a lot of Big 12 football, and the Briles system when it gets rolling is truly something to behold. I am very interested in seeing how it would do in the SEC.

The off the field picture is a lot more complicated. Let me try to clear up some confusion about what happened with Baylor and what potential role Kendal Briles may have had in it.

Baylor commissioned an independent law firm to investigate its compliance with Title IX, the Pepper Hamilton Report. The PHR issued a findings of fact, that is at the link. The most relevant part is at page 10: https://www.baylor.edu/thefacts/doc.php/266596.pdf

The report found a culture of putting football above the rules, resulting in lots of sexual assaults and violence against women by the football players. Kendal Briles was not named specifically in the report (neither was anyone else on the football staff, including father Art Briles), but the report repeatedly references the "football coaches" or "football staff" in a collective way. Art Briles and the University President Ken Starr were both fired over the findings of the report, and the AD resigned. Kendal, the offensive coordinator and son of the head coach, may have been oblivious to all of this conduct within the program, and may not have been one of multiple coaches who participated in the coverup, but it seems extremely improbable that he had no knowledge whatsoever. Note that the PHR was a private investigation, not a criminal investigation by a local, state, or federal government agency.

The PHR speaks in generalities and doesn't get into citing specific incidents, so what is publicly known about the allegations mostly comes from newspaper stories, police reports, and the many Title IX lawsuits that were subsequently filed. It is worth noting that allegations in a complaint are just that - allegations, made by the person filing the suit, but the attorney signing the complaint has to have a good faith belief that they are true or he/she can get sanctioned. These are civil suits, again, not criminal prosecutions. These Waco Tribune stories have a pretty good recap of the lawsuits that were filed:

Baylor, alleged gang rape victim reach settlement in Title IX suit

Baylor settles with former student who accused football players of gang rape

To be clear, Kendal Briles wasn't named as a defendant in these lawsuits, but that may simply be because as a Baylor employee, the University is liable for his acts and omissions regardless of whether he is named as a defendant, and Baylor is the deep pocket that the victims will go after. They don't need a specific coach to be named to get their recovery from Baylor, and like Tennessee did last year with its Title IX lawsuits, nearly all of these lawsuits were settled by Baylor, who didn't want the additional negative publicity they would get from a bunch of depositions being taken, much less a trial.

Several Baylor football players were convicted individually of sex crimes by state authorities. No football coaches were criminally charged: Baylor University sexual assault scandal - Wikipedia

So what we know is that an independent commission found rampant disregard for the safety of women on campus at Baylor, and that the football staff, of which Kendal Briles was a part, tried to subvert and cover up efforts to hold athletes accountable for their misconduct. We know that rape was a large part of that misconduct, and several players were convicted of sex crimes. Art Briles and Ken Starr took the public fall for it as captains of the ship, and also based on personal knowledge, at least on Art's part, of some specific incidents of conduct. Art Briles will likely never coach again.

People are correct when they say that Kendal has never been convicted of anything, nor has he personally paid any civil settlement. However Baylor has paid millions upon millions of dollars to settle the lawsuits, and those settlements would include any claims that could have been brought by the plaintiffs against Kendal or any other individual coach. Baylor's football program had numerous players transfer, and they went 1-11 two years ago recovering from this. In October of this year, they received a notice of allegations from the NCAA, and severe penalties are expected to be issued next year: Baylor receives notice of allegations from NCAA for lack of institutional control

All of the above will get thrown out and rehashed by the national media members who are looking to settle a score from last year against us, in a way that they don't care about with FAU or Houston. Their argument will be Greg Schiano didn't rape any kids, and Kendal Briles didn't rape any women, but there is witness testimony against the former, and circumstantial evidence against the latter, that both knew of rapes going on in their football program and they did nothing about it. So by rioting against one, and celebrating the other, we are the insincere hypocritical rubes that they said we were.

Everyone can make their own decision about whether Briles is worth it, I'm just trying to lay out the facts as they are publicly available, and clear up some misconceptions I keep seeing discussed.

I believe Pruitt can marry the Briles spread with his defense. You can put up a bunch of points quickly and slow tempo when you need to give your boys a rest on Defense after the opponent’s defense is winded. Theoretically it can work

Sure but that isn't what briles
Does.
He knows only one speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back