Recruiting Forum Football Talk [RIP 9.3.2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the main reasons I think our defense will be significantly improved this year is I think we’ll make fewer mistakes. Shown in the table below are defensive rankings in the conference last year against only conference competition. Every other conference team statistically had a scoring defense rank at or better than the lowest ranking phase of their defense whether it be their run defense, pass defense, or total defense. With us our scoring defense was lower than all of the other three measurements and I think that could suggest that while we made a lot of plays on defense last year we also made more mistakes than anyone else.

They say switching from a 4-3 scheme to a 3-4 scheme is rough in the first year because of the learning curve and the likelihood that the appropriate personnel needed for the new scheme are not on the roster. This being our second year in this scheme it’s generally expected that there would be significant improvement, if for no other reason than we’re likely to see fewer mistakes, less guys winging it and doing their own thing on that side of the ball. jmo.

Alabama played 15 games last year. We had the 8th best run defense they faced, Tua had his 5th lowest passer rating against us, we held them to their 6th fewest yards per play on the year, and yet we ranked 13th on their schedule for keeping them off of the scoreboard. Of course Pruitt was unable to contain his frustration on that night.

Georgia played 14 games last year. We had the 6th best run defense they faced. Jake had his 4th lowest passer rating, and we held them to the 4th fewest yards per play out of those 14 games, and yet we ranked 7th on their schedule for our ability to keep them off of the scoreboard.

It’s just a theory but I think we could surprise some people if we can realize our potential for dramatic improvement on defense, and in particular, scoring defense, and I think we probably can do that by cutting down on the mistakes. #PlayTheRightWay. jmo.

View attachment 212080

That apprehensive hyping-yourself-up mode before you dive in headfirst into a Chatta post.

giphy (3).gif

Keep up the good work sir. Love it!!

I think your theory certainly holds water, especially with our young CBs and poor LBs.

Just some tangent thoughts on what you've written -as for Rush YPC, Passing QBR - vs Points allowed - I wonder how much RZ defense plays into this. We were 14th in the league in RZ scoring defense and 13th in RZ TD%. We gave up roughly 2 points/RZ possession more than Mississippi State did (5.4 vs 3.38).

I believe our defense was alright at limiting big plays (though rate has to be considered, as we defended fewer plays than most, 2nd least in the SEC). In terms of absolute numbers, we were no worse than 5th in the SEC in the number of "10, 20, 30, 40, and 50 yard plays allowed" categories. We did jump back to 9th in the more rare 60+ yard plays.

Also wonder how much field position played a role as well - how well our offense played last season carried a lot of variance. Even with good defensive efficiency stats, we are going to give up points when our offense struggles like it did far too often last year. We only gained 258 yards vs Bama and a whopping 209 vs UGA. With field position struggles, even the most efficient defenses will give up points on short fields.

Our matchup was UGA's 2nd fewest total yards given up all year. 5th for Alabama.

Last edited:
We need help and depth at LB.

No need for gimmicks. We are solid at RB with Chandler, Jordan, and Banks.

Crouch needs to focus on LB and learning the position.

I’m an optimist but that is far from solid. You don’t have 1 proven back in that list

Crouch’s rating only dropped (and not much) because he was injured

He’s a game changing/program changing level talent at RB

If we promised him to stay at LB I’m fine w that but let’s let act like we have jamaal Lewis and Travis Henry returning

Reactions: volsagain
My biggest concern right now is our average DL and DL recruiting. You can’t win at a high level in the SEC without a great group. It takes years to develop a great group also. We need some 5* difference makers right away.

Yes. Where are the game changing NT and DEs? We need to flip Rogers and add 1 or 2 more bluechip linemen this cycle. Any hope of winning the East 2020-2022 depends on it. Not gonna beat UF and UGA with JUCOs and 3*s. Rocker's history isn't the most impressive either. He needs talent to be really successful imo. We are building up the LBs and secondary, for sure. But the trenches...well you know the saying.

Reactions: Jack Burton
Florida is not very good this year.
Preseason top-10 with a veteran squad - #26 team in returning production/#3 in the SEC. Outside of a questionable amount of turnover on the OL and little freshman talent incoming due to attrition, they figure to be pretty good. I think we'll snag them in the years to come, but this year is going to be a tough Gator squad imo. Mullen is good and the staff did wonders for last year's OL that was expected to be garbage and turned out pretty solid. Honestly, I would be quite optimistic for 2019 if I were a Gators fan.

Call me crazy but I think Pruitt can beat Kirby this season.

Craaaazyyyyyy. Their talent has jumped leaps and bounds. Maybe we catch them had they played ND the week before us, but with both teams taking a bye, they will be prepared and overmatch us position-by-position. Their talent is only a step or 2 behind Bama at this point.

That said, their new OC stinks. Ya never know...

Yes. Where are the game changing NT and DEs? We need to flip Rogers and add 1 or 2 more bluechip linemen this cycle. Any hope of winning the East 2020-2022 depends on it. Not gonna beat UF and UGA with JUCOs and 3*s. Rocker's history isn't the most impressive either. He needs talent to be really successful imo. We are building up the LBs and secondary, for sure. But the trenches...well you know the saying.
Rogers is out. Find a new name.

Reactions: JacketVol
Reactions: LargePairOfVols
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back