Recruiting Forum Football Talk [RIP 9.3.2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would never debate the subject but I fall on the other side and do believe math exists independently.
But as long as it's theoretical and not sure of the consensus, debate is as fruitful as arguing one's favorite color.

But was tongue-in-cheek for my purpose anyway.
Orange is the best color and it's not even close.

Not necessarily. Cal recruited nationwide. Pastner tried it, inked several Memphis kids that transferred away. Tubby didn't recruit anyone, let alone Memphis kids. Cincinnati and GT have actually done more with Memphis kids than any coach since Cal. Recently Memphis hasn't kept anyone home.

Not sure who you are referring to at Cincy and GT, but there haven’t been many high level recruits in the city the last few years. Pastner took Markel Crawford and Jeremiah Martin and lost Chris Chiozza because they offered late. For the most part, Memphis kids stay home. There really wasn’t much to recruit in Memphis under Tubby, but Penny saved Lomax and Harris.

Reactions: ChismsHeadband
The number one recruiting class is impressive, regardless of where they're from. I still hope Penny is a terrible floor coach and they stay mediocre.

The way they played us last year, I feel he may actually be a pretty good coach, if not overly aggressive. Time will tell.

Not sure who you are referring to at Cincy and GT, but there haven’t been many high level recruits in the city the last few years. Pastner took Markel Crawford and Jeremiah Martin and lost Chris Chiozza because they offered late. For the most part, Memphis kids stay home. There really wasn’t much to recruit in Memphis under Tubby, but Penny saved Lomax and Harris.

Thaddius Young is the main name that stands out. Chris Crawford committed to Pastner and stayed here. Tarik Black and another kid transferred out from his regime. Plus the Lawson brothers who didn't stick around.

My bottom line was that you can point to a couple Memphis kids who stuck around, but the homegrown talent that made it elsewhere outweighs the kids who stayed home.

Sure you can. At its heart, math is an imaginary system that humans created to quantify things as well as to reason out abstract concepts. The debate about whether math exists independent of humans is a pretty fierce one given and some would argue math exists in the universe independent of humans therefore disqualifying my first statement. :p

You sure can, the Philosophy of Mathematics and Logic have been interesting subjects for some time. Though even during my time at UT, no professor went further than a Logic class or two. Most others were off in continental and analytical areas, with the fire of epistemology still raging in some and bioethics grasping the multidisciplinary types. I think the end of serious, broad discussion on the Philosophy of Mathematics ended some time ago and was summed up nicely by Putnam, "I do not think that the difficulties that philosophy finds with classical mathematics today are genuine difficulties; and I think that the philosophical interpretations of mathematics that we are being offered on every hand are wrong, and that "philosophical interpretation" is just what mathematics doesn't need".

Reactions: RiotVol and Sleegro
Penny shoes( Google foamposites) is like top 3 seller STILL at Nike. Penny is very popular amongst kids across the nation. Good thing for the Vols is he will affect Calapari the most. With a little karma involved for Cal.

The coach of Memphis getting Memphis kids to stay at home and go to Memphis isn't really impressive.
Either way you slice it, they are about to be a big problem for us. Just like football, we haven’t been keeping the elite players in state. Penny was going to be given resources to do well in Memphis, so we better get ready for that game to be miserable from here on out.

Sure you can. At its heart, math is an imaginary system that humans created to quantify things as well as to reason out abstract concepts. The debate about whether math exists independent of humans is a pretty fierce one given and some would argue math exists in the universe independent of humans therefore disqualifying my first statement. :p
091C2C39-23AE-4C87-9DD7-A5077406FD81.jpeg

Either way you slice it, they are about to be a big problem for us. Just like football, we haven’t been keeping the elite players in state. Penny was going to be given resources to do well in Memphis, so we better get ready for that game to be miserable from here on out.

No they arent. We won when Bruce was here, and Johnny Slickhair was cheating his ass off in Memphis. Penny is an awful coach, as we witnessed.

TN is a National brand. We develop players into a Team.

The number one recruiting class is impressive, regardless of where they're from. I still hope Penny is a terrible floor coach and they stay mediocre.

Be curious to see what Penny does with them.

College basketball recruiting doesn't seem to have the one-to-one correlation to success in the way it seems to in football. Case-in-point: Duke on paper had the greatest signing class in history last year. They had top 5 classes in each of the preceding several years. They matched all that with the greatest coach in college basketball history. And they wound up looking mediocre down the stretch and getting bounced in the Elite 8. Virginia wins it all with veteran leadership, disciplined play and a couple of really good players sprinkled in.

In college football meanwhile, Bama gets most of the great players, matches them with the greatest coach, and dominates everyone in their way pretty much every year. The only people they seem to have to struggle with are Clemson and Georgia, who are doing pretty much the same thing in terms of getting all of the remaining elite players and matching them with great coaching.

College football is kind of formulaic in that way, and honestly has become a little stale because of it.

Be curious to see what Penny does with them.

College basketball recruiting doesn't seem to have the one-to-one correlation to success in the way it seems to in football. Case-in-point: Duke on paper had the greatest signing class in history last year. They had top 5 classes in each of the preceding several years. They matched all that with the greatest coach in college basketball history. And they wound up looking mediocre down the stretch and getting bounced in the Elite 8. Virginia wins it all with veteran leadership, disciplined play and a couple of really good players sprinkled in.

In college football meanwhile, Bama gets most of the great players, matches them with the greatest coach, and dominates everyone in their way pretty much every year. The only people they seem to have to struggle with are Clemson and Georgia, who are doing pretty much the same thing in terms of getting all of the remaining elite players and matching them with great coaching.

College football is kind of formulaic in that way, and honestly has become a little stale because of it.

How does NCAA not see scholly reductions as detrimental?

Memphis will never be a problem for us because them being successful or not has no bearing on our success. We have only signed like 2 or 3 Memphis public school kids ever so not getting Memphis kids isn't end all be all for us.

Penny shoes( Google foamposites) is like top 3 seller STILL at Nike. Penny is very popular amongst kids across the nation. Good thing for the Vols is he will affect Calapari the most. With a little karma involved for Cal.

The sneaker world is a rabbit hole I'm not ready for. The only sneakers I have are running shoes, and even then it's hard finding a pair that fit properly, and aren't some ugly canvass of bright neon colors.

This was a pretty interesting article about the Penny shoes though - Nike Foamposites Are the Ugly Shoe That Everyone Loves

Thaddius Young is the main name that stands out. Chris Crawford committed to Pastner and stayed here. Tarik Black and another kid transferred out from his regime. Plus the Lawson brothers who didn't stick around.

My bottom line was that you can point to a couple Memphis kids who stuck around, but the homegrown talent that made it elsewhere outweighs the kids who stayed home.

But you can’t count the guys who started at Memphis and then transferred out. They would have stayed with competent coaching. The Lawson brothers left because Tubby decided to let go of their father.

Bottom line is Memphis almost always gets who they want in the city. Sure, there have been a few exceptions that went to blue bloods anyway.

Reactions: CreiveHallVol
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back