Recruiting Forum Football Talk [RIP 9.3.2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
price on swain now. thinks he'll name a starter next week. says it's not close, not sure why there's so many conflicting reports, it's JG, he's the starter and the real competition is for #2 between KC and WM. and he's very high on Shrout not being all that far off, and will be surprised if he's not playing a lot in the ETSU game. says we may take 2 QB's this class.

he didn't stutter. he didn't sound unsure of himself.

basically sounded like someone that's just not sure why this is even a discussion....lol.
This is one of the weirder situations I can remember. We all knew last year that Dormady was the guy and the competition was a farce. Now we’ve got conflicting reports where “insiders” think it’s close and every media guy saying JG by a mile.

I’ll trust VolQuest’s plethora of sources over my very few and far between pieces of information. But everything I’ve been told is that “the offense just seems to move better” with Chryst, “there’s a reason he came here over other options” and “the coaching staff just trusts him more.”

Like I said, go with VQ - but the whole thing is weird.

price on swain now. thinks he'll name a starter next week. says it's not close, not sure why there's so many conflicting reports, it's JG, he's the starter and the real competition is for #2 between KC and WM. and he's very high on Shrout not being all that far off, and will be surprised if he's not playing a lot in the ETSU game. says we may take 2 QB's this class.

basically sounded like someone that's just not sure why this is even a discussion....lol.

This is a good litmus test as to how connected VQ is to the program with the new staff.

This is one of the weirder situations I can remember. We all knew last year that Dormady was the guy and the competition was a farce. Now we’ve got conflicting reports where “insiders” think it’s close and every media guy saying JG by a mile.

I’ll trust VolQuest’s plethora of sources over my very few and far between pieces of information. But everything I’ve been told is that “the offense just seems to move better” with Chryst, “there’s a reason he came here over other options” and “the coaching staff just trusts him more.”

yep, it's really weird. you never know about agnedas of supposed sources (and i'm speaking from my perview as a fan w/zero connections whatsoever).

you'd like to believe the media doesn't have any of those agendas or biases, but we all know it's happened in the past.

and all of this of what price said comes with the caveat it's all only based on what he's seen during the open media sessions at practice, and what he's heard. so, i would venture to say that, while he is very confident in his statements, it's still his best educated guess.

Maybe it's a smoke screen by Pruitt to the media, so that WV starts preparing for JG to start the game. Nah, Pruitt wouldn't put out misleading info, would he?

Edit: Oops, got SSVol'd.

Reactions: SSVol
yep, it's really weird. you never know about agnedas of supposed sources (and i'm speaking from my perview as a fan w/zero connections whatsoever).

you'd like to believe the media doesn't have any of those agendas or biases, but we all know it's happened in the past.

and all of this of what price said comes with the caveat it's all only based on what he's seen during the open media sessions at practice, and what he's heard. so, i would venture to say that, while he is very confident in his statements, it's still his best educated guess.

I’ve heard folks elaborate that the reason was the offense is more dynamic with JG. If you can’t stretch the field (KC) and only dink and dunk, teams are going to start stacking the box.

If it wasn’t close or like price said it’s not even a competition then JG should be dominating the reps and he’s not. I mean why even waste time installing a new scheme with someone else? I get you need to have another option ready but if you know whoever the guy is then it should be established.

From yesterday

I’ve never ruled out JG starting. I’ve thrown out what i would do and what i do think May happen.

The only thing I’ve thrown out is what has happened and in no way does that spell out 99% starter in any form or fashion.
Hank, do you get to stay for the whole practice?

You know, this could be a big fat smokescreen. Ainge has been pumping JG for awhile now. Maybe they are hoping WVU prepares for JG and gets KC. I don't think that's what's happening, but I have to throw something against the wall every once in awhile.

Edit: Swanson'd by a couple so even if KC starts I get no ecred.

JG starting is to me the best case scenario. Hopefully his big arm talent will be able to flourish this year and next year we will be able to compete for the East.

If something happens to him we have a 5th year game manager to take the reins and a bunch of running backs to give the ball to.

A better question for me at this point is where should Smith play- OG or OT?

What is better for the Vols O-line.

How do we get the best 5 on the field?
I agree. I think it’s the most important question. I think Our unit is better off with smith at guard.

LT-Drew,
LG- Smith,
C- Kennedy,
RG- R. Johnson/carvin
RT- J. Johnson/Tatum (i wish Hall)

We know the coaches love the RB stable. So they will put Smith in the best place for the running game to thrive IMO. At the same time I think he should start at guard against WVU just because of their weird 3-3-5 defense. I think that would open up more holes. Then put him at LT for the rest of the year since there will be more traditional defenses

I like Trey at LG as he can be a road grader in the run game along with Kennedy at C. He can play LT, but then you have an unproven commodity playing LG which I don't think we can afford. Rather roll with Richmond at LT and scheme plays that do not depend on him holding up his man against good rush Ends. You don't need dominate LT's as much in today's college game.

Reactions: SpringBokVol

Smith and Richmond at the tackle positions. Tatum should have never been an Olineman and Jamir Johnson isn't ready.

I agree. I think it’s the most important question. I think Our unit is better off with smith at guard.

LT-Drew,
LG- Smith,
C- Kennedy,
RG- R. Johnson/carvin
RT- J. Johnson/Tatum (i wish Hall)
this. and RT to me is the only spot that remains a question, though i don't see Jamir getting the nod over tatum? definitely in the rotation until/unless Hall can play. cause i agree, if Hall was in at RT i'd feel pretty good about that line up as is.

that said, if you did put Smith at LT you can move Drew to RT, and and have Kennedy, Carvin, r johnson, tatum, J johnson to rorate at multiple positions.

but at the end of the day, he's our best player, and LG is his best position. and from a run game standpoint, i think that helps the most vs. putting him outside.

heck, we'll still see TE's line up on the outside of hte line as well to help the edges in pass pro, and run blocking, so yeah, you probably do leave him at guard....

This is a good litmus test as to how connected VQ is to the program with the new staff.
maybe. i still think he's just really confident in the informaiton he's been given, and that he's seen first hand.

i don't think he's been told anything regarding a decision on the matter....so it's his best educated guess.

Maybe it means something... maybe it doesn’t.

But whenever the official UT football twitter account tweets passing game highlights from practice, it’s always JG.

For example:

I don’t think I’ve seen any KC.

Like I said, might not mean a thing. But I wonder if that is maybe subliminal marketing? “This is our QB, familiarize yourself with #2 out there hitting receivers”

Or maybe KC just isn’t making exciting connections.

Idk. Just something random that stood out to me.

this. and RT to me is the only spot that remains a question, though i don't see Jamir getting the nod over tatum? definitely in the rotation until/unless Hall can play. cause i agree, if Hall was in at RT i'd feel pretty good about that line up as is.

that said, if you did put Smith at LT you can move Drew to RT, and and have Kennedy, Carvin, r johnson, tatum, J johnson to rorate at multiple positions.

but at the end of the day, he's our best player, and LG is his best position. and from a run game standpoint, i think that helps the most vs. putting him outside.

heck, we'll still see TE's line up on the outside of hte line as well to help the edges in pass pro, and run blocking, so yeah, you probably do leave him at guard....

Yea i want what gives us the best OL to run the ball and that is with Trey at guard. Because quite honestly i don’t think we are gonna be great at QB no matter what so sure up the run game and put a tight end over there occasionally.

I don’t see any just elite edge rushers anyways to this point on our schedule.

I’ve heard folks elaborate that the reason was the offense is more dynamic with JG. If you can’t stretch the field (KC) and only dink and dunk, teams are going to start stacking the box.
agreed. and that only becomes important if JG isn't also turning the ball over and making bad plays w/the ball in his hands. so if he really is the leader by that much, i would hope you could assume that the mistakes have been cut down, and we can actually take advantage of whatever talent the kid has. physically he's got it. it's all above the shoulders, imo, with JG. most of that can be coached up. so we'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back