Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
In looking at the new staff I’ve posted about Heupel, Elarbee, and Garner so far and think the evidence is clear they have had measurable success in their roles. This note is about Golesh whom I’ve previously characterized in my view as being more like an assistant to the offensive coordinator since I think Josh will be all over the offense in addition to calling plays. Alex apparently was on staff at Illinois at the same time as Tim Banks so there’s a connection there.

Alex’s claim to fame so far as I can tell is he did a really good job developing Tight Ends for Matt Campbell at Iowa State before Heupel pulled him away to UCF. Alex has also coached running backs for a year, doing double duty in that role while at Illinois. He has over 10 years experience as both a Tight Ends coach and as a recruiting coordinator, Toledo, Illinois, and Iowa State. Since joining Heupel for the 2020 season I think in addition to coaching Tight ends and “assisting the offensive coordinator” he’s been learning Josh’s system. Obviously Josh isn’t yet ready to turn the reins over to him.

As I noted in a previous post Heupel in the past has made extensive use of the Tight End position as a pass catcher, that is up until the last couple years when apparently their number of targets dropped significantly. Golesh addressed this in a recent interview:

Whether or not the job description will change under Heupel, Golesh and Tennessee's new staff is to be determined. Golesh, Tennessee's tight ends coach who coached the position at Iowa State, Illinois and Toledo over the past decade, said what the tight ends this staff is inheriting can do will determine their usage. If they can prove to be weapons in the passing game, then an uptick in targets might be in the cards for the position.

"Any scheme that you talk about, you’re going to put the best 11 guys on the field and you are going to try to create mismatches to adapt skill sets of guys, at every position,” Golesh said earlier this month. “So it depends on who you have, depends on who the guys are, depends on their skill sets. You would like to have guys that can play every down for you at the tight end position. I think tight ends are an integral part of our offense, integral part of any offense, but I think you’re also going to adjust to their skill set.

“Going back to my time at Iowa State, we had a group of tight ends that were three of our six best pass-catchers on the team. We used them that way. Our last year at UCF, the tight end group we had weren’t as good a mismatch guys as potentially our receivers, so we didn’t use them that way. I think the ability to adapt when you’re running the offense is the biggest part of it. ... We've got to figure out what these guys can do.”

Speaking of Iowa State:

Heupel offered Golesh the chance that was too much to pass up a couple weeks ago, and all the Iowa State tight ends coach and lead recruiter could do was say thanks, and I’ll get back to you.

Iowa State assistant Alex Golesh is leaving for an offensive coordinator spot at Central Florida.

I don’t know if that’s exactly how the initial conversation went when Central Florida’s head coach rang up Golesh, but it was something like that. If Golesh expects his guys to be all-in, then by golly, he’s got to be all-in, too.

That’s all in the past now. Golesh announced on Monday what we’ve known for days — that one of the reasons Iowa State football has become relevant is headed elsewhere.
That’d be Golesh, the guy who concentrated more on his former gig, than his new one during Notre Dame game week.

“It was a couple weeks ago, and we didn’t do much of anything,” Golesh told me of Heupel’s initial contract “Honest. I waited until we got done with the bowl game to even think about it.
“We were so busy and working our tails off, trying to win a football game. That’s the way we work. Maybe I’m a different breed, but I wasn’t thinking anything about it.”

He was in Orlando, preparing Charlie Kolar and Chase Allen for competition against the 14th-ranked Irish. The Cyclones practiced at Camping World Stadium, roughly 20 miles from UCF’s Spectrum Stadium, but to Golesh, it might as well have been 2,000 miles.

“We were heavy into Notre Dame,” Golesh said. “I couldn’t do that to my guys.”

His guys ...

That’s the hardest part of leaving.

“Those guys in that (tight ends) room ... we’re really close,” Golesh told me. “Everything you see and hear is true. We’re that close. It was a long journey to get to the point where we got to. That room is unique and really special.

“I’ll miss those guys a ton. It was the hardest decision I ever had to make.”

Iowa State tight ends had a combined six receptions and no touchdowns in 2015 — the season before Campbell and his new staff got to town. This season, Kolar, Allen and Dylan Soehner combined for 75 catches and 10 touchdowns.

Under Golesh, that position has gone from irrelevant to so significant that Kolar was a first-team all-Big 12 pick and an All-American.

As an aside, while at UCF, particularly in 2019, Heupel made extensive use of the transfer portal so naturally I’m wondering if HB actually does have the green light to go after his favorite target on his state championship HS team. I’m not expecting it to happen because there seems to be some issues but I’m not convinced it can’t happen. If it does I figure the kid and the rest of the guys in our TE room are going to be in some really good hands, both personally and professionally, with Alex Golesh. jmo.

I use to have a girlfriend that was taking some sort of self defense class...she explained to me what she has learned..... I told her that it wouldn’t work unless the guy was a total wuss.... she told me to grab her from behind..... I did and she proceeded to attempt to stomp my foot for fifteen minutes....she was like well you still can’t get me to the ground... I didn’t attempt to over power.... just my finger under her nose lifted up until she was a little off balance and then gently laid her on the ground..... she was like fine.... forget it.....it was at that time I learned that the woman is always right.
I always warned ladies about showing their significant others what they learned . Most self defense techniques can be thwarted when you know something is coming .They are reluctant to hurt a loved one. Unfortunately they had no qualms hurting me. I showed them some nasty crap . My one request was " Get me some DNA ladies!" Eyeball, Ear , Mr Winkie, etc...

Tried to buckle down for a potential promotion. Finished 2nd. Back to the grind! Love this staff tho.

Missed you, Hank! Great to have your positive vibes back!
And I'm looking forward to your thoughts on the new coaches and systems now that the staff is complete and we can start to piece together some of the puzzle.

True of some, but some still claim to this day they actually did love him. But the real point I was making, they were all consenting. No one was forced. Legal adults made decisions. Being an adult means making your own decisions, then living with the consequences.

Prostitution could be considered 2 "consenting" adults and it is illegal. Except maybe in Nevada. My point is we should raise our kids, boys and girls, to know that they have have worth and not to undervalue themselves for anybody. There are lots of people ready to pounce on a person who feels they aren't valuable.

Prostitution could be considered 2 "consenting" adults and it is illegal. Except maybe in Nevada. My point is we should raise our kids, boys and girls, to know that they have have worth and not to undervalue themselves for anybody. There are lots of people ready to pounce on a person who feels they aren't valuable.
They're called predators.

Most prostitutes would argue for the legality of their industry and the safety that regulation would provide them. Look, I get it, it's certainly not an occupation that most parents would want their kids getting into, especially their daughters. But we can't force our choices or our judgement on others. More than anything, attempting to do that creates resentment. You raise your kids the best you can, but when they reach adulthood, they make their own choices, and you accept that, and you love them anyway, even when they don't walk the path you would have chosen for them. Because that's what parents do. No decent parent wants anything but the best for their children, but reality tells us most lessons are learned by making our own mistakes. So kids are gonna screw up, but any good parent is gonna love them anyways.

Most prostitutes would argue for the legality of their industry and the safety that regulation would provide them. Look, I get it, it's certainly not an occupation that most parents would want their kids getting into, especially their daughters. But we can't force our choices or our judgement on others. More than anything, attempting to do that creates resentment. You raise your kids the best you can, but when they reach adulthood, they make their own choices, and you accept that, and you love them anyway, even when they don't walk the path you would have chosen for them. Because that's what parents do. No decent parent wants anything but the best for their children, but reality tells us most lessons are learned by making our own mistakes. So kids are gonna screw up, but any good parent is gonna love them anyways.

I would argue that most prostitutes are either young girls who never had someone teach them that they are worth more than. I would also argue that many of them are the victims of human trafficking and that the industry as a whole is a horrible place for a young lady or a young man to find themselves in. No amount of regulation is going to fix that.

I always warned ladies about showing their significant others what they learned . Most self defense techniques can be thwarted when you know something is coming .They are reluctant to hurt a loved one. Unfortunately they had no qualms hurting me. I showed them some nasty crap . My one request was " Get me some DNA ladies!" Eyeball, Ear , Mr Winkie, etc...
I dont think any of the things she was taught would ever work.... I assume like anything else that there are good instructors and poor instructors.

You know something that I really detest about Pruitt?

He got to run through The T for 3 seasons and probably didn’t really care...

I would give Weezer’s left testicle to be able to run through The T just once (Weezer you would get to run through The T as well)
😁🤔😳

If it makes you feel any better, he only got to run through the T for 2 seasons.

I would argue that most prostitutes are either young girls who never had someone teach them that they are worth more than. I would also argue that many of them are the victims of human trafficking and that the industry as a whole is a horrible place for a young lady or a young man to find themselves in. No amount of regulation is going to fix that.
Worldwide I think you would be correct, but nationally, I'm not sure you are. I'm not an expert on the sex industry, but following politics, I've read more than one article about sex workers fighting for legality and respect. A lot of their arguments center around how they face the morality judgements of others. Ultimately, how is it any different from gay or lesbian rights, or the civil rights of any group? I just don't think the issue is as black and white as many would like it to be. I don't have to agree with their decisions to respect their rights to decide what they do. It all comes back to the argument, what happens between two consenting adults is between two consenting adults. Who am I, or you, or anyone to impose our morality upon others? And for those that choose such a path, regulation would offer all kinds of protection, and would fix a lot of the inherent harms of the industry.

I'm not encouraging anyone to support the sex industry or to want their children to enter into it, but those who choose to engage in that world still deserve basic human respect, whether you agree with what they do or not.

Reactions: VolByLaw
You know something that I really detest about Pruitt?

He got to run through The T for 3 seasons and probably didn’t really care...

I would give Weezer’s left testicle to be able to run through The T just once (Weezer you would get to run through The T as well)
😁🤔😳
How did I miss this post?

I'm not giving up my left testicle, or my right one either. Besides I may have never ran through the T, but I helped form the T back in my POTS days. I've been on the field when that crowd roars.

Worldwide I think you would be correct, but nationally, I'm not sure you are. I'm not an expert on the sex industry, but following politics, I've read more than one article about sex workers fighting for legality and respect. A lot of their arguments center around how they face the morality judgements of others. Ultimately, how is it any different from gay or lesbian rights, or the civil rights of any group? I just don't think the issue is as black and white as many would like it to be. I don't have to agree with their decisions to respect their rights to decide what they do. It all comes back to the argument, what happens between two consenting adults is between two consenting adults. Who am I, or you, or anyone to impose our morality upon others? And for those that choose such a path, regulation would offer all kinds of protection, and would fix a lot of the inherent harms of the industry.

I'm not encouraging anyone to support the sex industry or to want their children to enter into it, but those who choose to engage in that world still deserve basic human respect, whether you agree with what they do or not.

Ok. Prostitution is legal in Nevada and I would bet your left testicle that young girls and boys are groomed for sex trade jobs throughout Nevada. The fact that they now do it willingly does not negate the fact that there is not an overabundance of young people daydreaming in their study hall class about the day they can have sex with some sleezy guy in the back of his 1993 Toyota Terrell for $50. Your argument is ridiculous.

Ok. Prostitution is legal in Nevada and I would bet your left testicle that young girls and boys are groomed for sex trade jobs throughout Nevada. The fact that they now do it willingly does not negate the fact that there is not an overabundance of young people daydreaming in their study hall class about the day they can have sex with some sleezy guy in the back of his 1993 Toyota Terrell for $50. Your argument is ridiculous.

First, what is this fascination with my testicles?

Second, you'd be wrong about young girls and boys be "groomed" on some wholesale level throughout the state of Nevada to work the brothels. Not happening.

Third, who said anyone had daydreams about entering that profession? All I said is that people that choose to be in that profession deserve basic human respect, whether you agree with their lifestyle choice or not.

There's nothing ridiculous about showing people decency, kindness, and respect, even when, actually especially when, their lifestyle choices differ from your own. It's easy to be kind to people who think like yourself. It's much harder to give that same respect to those that don't.

First, what is this fascination with my testicles?

Second, you'd be wrong about young girls and boys be "groomed" on some wholesale level throughout the state of Nevada to work the brothels. Not happening.

Third, who said anyone had daydreams about entering that profession? All I said is that people that choose to be in that profession deserve basic human respect, whether you agree with their lifestyle choice or not.

There's nothing ridiculous about showing people decency, kindness, and respect, even when, actually especially when, their lifestyle choices differ from your own. It's easy to be kind to people who think like yourself. It's much harder to give that same respect to those that don't.

How about we show them decency by not mainstreaming prostitution?

How did I miss this post?

I'm not giving up my left testicle, or my right one either. Besides I may have never ran through the T, but I helped form the T back in my POTS days. I've been on the field when that crowd roars.

That’s okay...come to find out neither of your testicles were enough to broker the deal...😎😳🤔

Feel like this years class will be like Butch's first year. Around 25th.

I can see us going between 10th and 15th in recruiting. It’s early. Once there is actually a product for kids to see, that alone will change some minds.

It’s hard to recruit this early with no product to show kids but what you did at other places. I think our recruiting will see some significant changes in early October. (If our offense does what I think it will do)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back