Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
The table below shows Bill Connelly’s returning production rankings for teams on our schedule for ’21. I also included a column for where the team’s ’21 recruiting class ended up according to 247.

So both Florida and Alabama lost more of their offenses that we did. Georgia lost more of its defense that we did. Some of our losses might be considered addition by subtraction but only we might know about that. Jake Bentley transferred from Utah to South Alabama so probably a good possibility he’ll be their QB this year.

Normally we assume that returning production for Alabama is mostly irrelevant because given their level of recruiting they just reload. Well, I went back and checked Heupel’s performance given his returning production. In 2016 his offensive returning production at MO was ranked #71 and he was projected to increase their scoring by 0.6 points per game. He actually increased their scoring 17.8 points per game in 2016. In 2017 MO’s offensive returning production was ranked at #10 with a projected scoring increase of 3.2 points per game. The offense actually increased its scoring production by 6.1 points per game.

In 2018 he inherited the UCF team with an offensive returning production rank of #50 and put up 43.2 points per game. In 2019 his returning production numbers for the offense fell to a ranking of #96 but there was no drop off in scoring output, finishing at 43.4 points per game for the year. In 2020 his offensive returning production was ranked #38 and he finished the year with a scoring average of 42.2 points per game.

I think it’s fair to expect we’re going to score a lot more points this year than in the recent past. We may score a lot of them against Tennessee Tech, South Alabama, Bowling Green, etc., but we’re almost certainly going to be scoring points.

On defense I think our real losses are Bryce and HT. Fill those holes and I think we’re good. I wanted faster edge rushers than Bennett and Johnson for what seems like forever. We have them; we just need to get them ready. I think our backend should be good, obviously more experience overall, and our front four should be the strength of the defense in my view, which in our new scheme is what I think we need. We need to figure out the LBs and our D should be good. jmo.

So we have a huge upgrade at QB and hyped talent in the WR corp. I don’t think we have to worry about the offensive line. Heupel has proved he knows how to protect the QB and to get his RBs past the LOS. We have to see which guys emerge as ball carriers and who and how we use the TE position. Heupel used the TE position more at MO (both years) and his first year at UCF than he has the past couple years at UCF. It probably has a lot to do with who you have at TE. Regardless of TE availability , it hasn’t slowed down his offense. jmo.

ScreenHunter 684.png

A few points on The Eyes of Texas

Like many traditions or institutions that originated in a southern state university more than 100 years ago, you don’t have to search too far to make some sort of connection to actual bona fide racism. The saying “The Eyes of Texas are upon you” came from a university president (Prather) who had previously worked at what is now Washington and Lee College in Virginia. The president of that school, Robert E Lee, would say to students “the eyes of the south are upon you“ as a way of telling them to be on their best behavior and act honorably, and Prather adapted that to Texas when he got to Austin. College students being college students, they wanted to rebel against the authority figure, and adapted his saying into a song meant to mock him. The lyrics of the song or not racist in anyway, but debuted in a minstrel show setting, which at the time was an adaptation of vaudeville and a forum for satirical or comedic performances. Those shows did feature blackface among many of the performers, but again, the song itself was designed to mock the university president.

Fraternities at Texas continued to put on shows into the early 60’s that featured blackface performers and at some point in many of those shows they undoubtedly sang TEOT. I wouldn’t want anyone digging through every Carnicus performance at Tennessee from the first half of the 20th Century and declaring that “On a hallowed hill” needed to be cancelled because it was performed in that setting.

At some point, TEOT rose above its origins and until very recently was a unifying force for Texas fans of all colors to bond them with an expression of their common interest. Alumni and fans play it at their weddings and leave instructions to play it at their funerals. Former players like Earl Campbell, Ricky Williams, and Brian Jones have said they don’t think it’s an issue worth scrapping 100 years of tradition over. this is probably my favorite take on the whole issue:

The Eyes Of Texas Are Upon Us

As for Tom Herman, his handling of this issue was the least of his problems. Quite frankly, coaches are put in a real tough spot when these issues arise. If his record had been 4-1 against OU instead of 1-4, or 3-1 against TCU rather than 1-3, he’d still be coaching. By most accounts Herman alienated all possible bases of support among the administration, donors, and even many players before last summer by being an immature jerk. Losing to a rebuilding OU with a senior QB was the final straw, and having said QB being the only one out on the field after that loss standing for TEOT (due to a communication mixup, not a player walkout) just threw gasoline on an already burning fire.

TLDR: The Eyes is a complicated issue and don’t cast too many stones lest they come looking for Rocky Top. That wasn’t Tom Herman’s problem.

Like many traditions or institutions that originated in a southern state university more than 100 years ago, you don’t have to search too far to make some sort of connection to actual bona fide racism. The saying “The Eyes of Texas are upon you” came from a university president (Prather) who had previously worked at what is now Washington and Lee College in Virginia. The president of that school, Robert E Lee, would say to students “the eyes of the south are upon you“ as a way of telling them to be on their best behavior and act honorably, and Prather adapted that to Texas when he got to Austin. College students being college students, they wanted to rebel against the authority figure, and adapted his saying into a song meant to mock him. The lyrics of the song or not racist in anyway, but debuted in a minstrel show setting, which at the time was an adaptation of vaudeville and a forum for satirical or comedic performances. Those shows did feature blackface among many of the performers, but again, the song itself was designed to mock the university president.

Fraternities at Texas continued to put on shows into the early 60’s that featured blackface performers and at some point in many of those shows they undoubtedly sang TEOT. I wouldn’t want anyone digging through every Carnicus performance at Tennessee from the first half of the 20th Century and declaring that “On a hallowed hill” needed to be cancelled because it was performed in that setting.

At some point, TEOT rose above its origins and until very recently was a unifying force for Texas fans of all colors to bond them with an expression of their common interest. Alumni and fans play it at their weddings and leave instructions to play it at their funerals. Former players like Earl Campbell, Ricky Williams, and Brian Jones have said they don’t think it’s an issue worth scrapping 100 years of tradition over. this is probably my favorite take on the whole issue:

As for Tom Herman, his handling of this issue was the least of his problems. Quite frankly, coaches are put in a real tough spot when these issues arise. If his record had been 4-1 against OU instead of 1-4, or 3-1 against TCU rather than 1-3, he’d still be coaching. By most accounts Herman alienated all possible bases of support among the administration, donors, and even many players before last summer by being an immature jerk. Losing to a rebuilding OU with a senior QB was the final straw, and having said QB being the only one out on the field after that loss standing for TEOT (due to a communication mixup, not a player walkout) just threw gasoline on an already burning fire.

TLDR: The Eyes is a complicated issue and don’t cast too many stones lest they come looking for Rocky Top. That wasn’t Tom Herman’s problem.
They can forget coming for rocky top.

Yep - those two strangers still haven't come down from Rocky Top. Reckon they never will.

That song didn't cause the last 5 HC's to lose their jobs.

I remember screaming at the TV ... "You're not good enough to act like that! You're not Deshaun Watson! Stop showing off and focus on playing ball!"

Same here. I thought how cheesy for somebody that pathetic at his job to do that. Clueless.

What’s the most you’ve ever paid for a basic 12oz beer?

I was at a Broadway play and paid $18 for a Corona.

Runner up, at Disney World I paid $14 for a Sweetwater 420.

Don’t judge the choice, there are always limited selections in these situations, and typically this is when you’re a captive audience just wanting a single cold one.

I’m beginning to think that some of our recruiting targets want to commit, but Heupel is telling them to hold off a bit, wait to see what things look like during Spring ball and make sure you want to be a part of what you see.

It would be frustrating to us, but actually pretty smart on his part.

Why else wouldn’t some of these guys (the lower rated guys especially) not already commit?

I’m beginning to think that some of our recruiting targets want to commit, but Heupel is telling them to hold off a bit, wait to see what things look like during Spring ball and make sure you want to be a part of what you see.

It would be frustrating to us, but actually pretty smart on his part.

Why else wouldn’t some of these guys (the lower rated guys especially) not already commit?

There is zero reason for Heupel to be telling kids to hold off with the situation we are in.

Recruiting sucks right now, and that's fine. It's March, nothing to worry about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back