Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really hope it is Steele and Garner. We need coaches that can recruit this territory (not to mention they have a great development history). Is Brick Haley still being considered? Also, any chance he and Garner both come?

Reactions: AppStVol
UCF fans aren’t lying about Heupel’s offense. He really does run primarily 4 plays. He runs up the middle, throws a bubble screen, throws a comeback route, and throws a bomb. One of those plays nearly every snap. The occasional slant. But that’s about it.
It’s why his playbook is easy to learn and install.

UCF fans aren’t lying about Heupel’s offense. He really does run primarily 4 plays. He runs up the middle, throws a bubble screen, throws a comeback route, and throws a bomb. One of those plays nearly every snap. The occasional slant. But that’s about it.
And yet he still scores 40 ppg.

Boom! A modern offense finally. Simple (with lots of option tree routes) and fast. Minimal stress on the offense, max stress on the defense.

No more having to worry about merely lining up for one of 100 different formations like this is the NFL as if we have nearly unlimited practice time and the same players for 5-10 years on the offense.

One of the core concepts in the "Optimal Modern College Football Offense" per Football Study Hall, is simplicity....along with space, pace, and optionality, which we will also have. "QB as a run threat" is the only component I'm not sure we will have, at least right off the bat. But these are huge strides from Chaney's awful system of complexity, moderate space, moderate pace, and near zero optionality or eye candy.

Last edited:
There were 500 plays in Chaney’s playbook but we only saw them 3 at a time.

Was the info that talked about by AV and others as being really awful ever come to light with all of this JP stuff and McDonald’s bags or is that still under wraps?

I actually don’t think Heupel has a huge rebuild on his hands, more a can he sustain. On offense we have solid QB’s (that need good coaching), some good skills players (who need good coaching), some decent o linemen (who need good coaching). Defense is not as solid and needs some shoring up on the line and LB’s. But I there there is enough there with good coaching to make a bowl game. The question is can he and his staff replace players either via recruiting or the portal. With looming sanctions and the negative recruiting around that, it will be tough. The transfer portal might be a good fit for the next few years.

Let me say this: tho what I said above is true, it’s also possible that his scheme was limited by Gabriel. He said that he adapts to what his players can do. Gabriel puts up a ton of stats, but he really isn’t that good. His arm is pedestrian. So it may be that those are the plays that Gabriel feels comfortable running.

We have 3 QB’s on our roster better and more talented than him

Recruiting will take a big hit between Heupel not being great at it and the NCAA cloud of death
NCAA penalties - sure. But where do you get he isn't great at recruiting?

In the last decade, he recruited 3 of the 4 best classes at UCF (and he only had 4 classes total). And he went heavy at getting P5 transfers too, which are not calculated into recruiting scores.

Penalties may hurt how many we can take, but otherwise don't see the issue. That staff is long gone. Don't see them just snooping around.

Let me say this: tho what I said above is true, it’s also possible that his scheme was limited by Gabriel. He said that he adapts to what his players can do. Gabriel puts up a ton of stats, but he really isn’t that good. His arm is pedestrian. So it may be that those are the plays that Gabriel feels comfortable running.

We have 3 QB’s on our roster better and more talented than him
It's not a bad thing! Leach has like 3 formations lol. It's a classic Art Briles concept. Hell, he didn't even have a playbook it was so simple haha.

Great for plug-and-play. Great for stability and never nosediving because a new QB can't learn the offense. Same type stuff Lebby and Kendall Briles do.

This is the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back