Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m so disappointed with UT football. For the longest time it always felt like next year but now it doesn’t even feel like that anymore. We slowly drift further and further away from competing.

Chris low on swain with a gloomy outlook. Not on Heupel, necessarily, just the program in general. Says we talked to a lot of people, just didn’t have a lot of interest.

But according to this Board DW only contacted Heupel!

I’ll take the word of anonymous internet posters over some plugged-in reporter!

Agree. Realizing where we are as a program, I think we did okay here. As Nick said, dude might be Lincoln Riley. He needs a defensive coordinator tho in the worst way.
Naw. There isn’t anything to realize. We are a top program who keeps spitting out garbage when we make bad hires. We also keep making coaches not want to come here but opening investigations on them and firing them for cause. We are our own worst enemy and our administration has tanked a once proud program. And same thing was said for Pruitt, he just needs a good OC.

Reactions: PA Vol
I bet if our administration had done things like any normal school and just fired our coach without knee capping the program, we would have gotten who we wanted.

I hate this administration for where they’ve taken UT football. I’m not getting mad at Heupel or coaches anymore. It’s not coaches, it’s not fans.

Lol. UCF fans hated him because he made their undefeated team take a step back. BTW, there's no guarantee that Frost wouldn't have suffered the same let down. Pruitt took the worst team in Tennessee history and made them worse. From where I'm standing, this almost has to be an automatic upgrade over what we've had. Will he win us a championship? Probably not. But he's got more upside than Pruitt, and that's about as much as we could hope for at this ultra low point in our program.
Frost also took his whole staff with him to Nebraska. It’s kinda hard to keep continuity with a whole new staff at UCF.

Good luck to Heupel. He's got a tough job ahead thanks to the mess created by Fulmer and Pruitt. But he can get it done. Our VolNation built up such a frenzy with unrealistic expectations, that no hire would be acceptable. Now it's time to get behind our program, players, and coaches, and look to the future. Like that we are getting a good offensive mind to lead the program. Also like that he has a record of developing players.

Freeze had no chance of being hired here with the NCAA sitting in our living room.
You have zero proof of that... this is an epic fail. I called the last 3 failures and this is the same.

Maybe it’s an indication of how bad the sanctions will be.

Heupel going to target Lebby and Kendall Briles as OC. Randy Shannon not coming, Going to try to keep Steele. Possibly keep Tee and Jay. Look for Elarbee as OL coach.

Keep Steele and Jay. Get Lebby or Kendall. Fill rest of staff with elite recruiters. UT had no contact with Kiffin apparently btw. Still holding a stupid ass grudge.

They bought the equivalent of ONE roll of 1-ply toilet paper at the Dollar General on a Centurion Card is what they did.
What if there was no 2-ply available?? There were NO BIG NAME COACHES going to take this job regardless of the job. And Kiffin, Freeze and Chadwell wouldn’t take it either with all the mess going on and risk career suicide, so don’t give me that.

Reactions: bpvol and Ace
Well, it's time to rally around Coach Heupel and move forward, and support the Big Orange.. If he can get a competent defensive staff, and if he could get lucky and have Kevin Steele agree to be his defensive coordinator, then that would be ideal, obviously.. And, you would have a good chance to get Rodney Garner, if Coach Heupel can keep Steele on staff. Also, keeping Tee Martin and Jay Graham would be important as well, need to keep and get recruiters on staff, especially with our recruiting.. Lots of work for him to do, and apparently he wanted the job, so time to roll with him.. Go Vols!

The whole "not a lot of interest" is just spin from the ****ing AD who **** his pants on the one job he was hired to do.

It's pure spin. That's all it is.

I doubt it. This job really does look like a **** sandwich to most coaches out there. And we may actually be lucky that DW came from a program with a relatively promising young coach who would take it, because we don't even know what the sanctions will look like. Sonny Dykes may have been our ceiling were it not for the DW/JH connection.

Yeah...expecting that is dumb at this point. I'm going to support the kids that stayed, and appreciate a guy willing to do what has to look like a dead end job at this point. Heupel is betting large on himself if he takes this mess on.

If we can put together a good defensive staff we could have a mediocre-good team.
said this last week....i don't think we'll be all that good, but i do think these next couple of teams will be very easy to root for...the types of kids that are here, that have stayed.....i think fans will LIKE these teams, even if not for the results....they'll appreciate the effort, and that they stayed and stuck it out.....

Wonder if AV or others like him hadn't said anything about who they thought we were going after, would people still be so upset about this hire?

Meh. I’m mostly just pissed at @Atlanta VOL
for acting like Danny White was the most badass AD of all time leading us to believe would def be making a great hire, and then capping it off by saying he had tons of money to spend.

it made it sound like we were gonna drop close to $10mm on some major name, and set that expectation.

It’s just so far off base of what the reality ended up being that the guy feels like a huge fraud to me now.

from chris low
From coaches I have talked to, will have a good offense with JH. Mixed reaction from coaches Low has talked to about JH. Most concerning is the ability for him to recruit in the SEC. Coaches Low talked to last night said that was the overwhelming concern most had on JH.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back