Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a list of 5. I think all of these guys are realistic. Maybe a couple of splash hires here but the up and comers may be better fits. Circumstance, history, personality and money are all in the mix. Fan perception is a big deal. The fan base rose up with the Schiano hire. Plowman and White may not want to see this with one of their hires that doesn't fit, but the fans know what they will accept. As we've seen fan acceptance doesn't guarantee success.

In no particular order:

Frost
Campbell
Kiffin
Napier
Chadwell

I say let's ride with any one of these coaches. Nothing less than the Decade of the Vols is at stake.

Edit: The timing is bad for Kiffin. I'd call him high risk/high reward.
We all know what we get with kiffin, the guy/coach.

The really intriguing thing about kiffin, which also keeps the risk factor relatively high, is nobody knows what kind of program he can build long term... We think we know... But outside fau, he's never been anywhere long enough to really know.

I'm still down to find out... Not confident we get to.

Kiffin and Campbell... Would really like to believe it doesn't get past those two names lol.

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill
My 4th cousin's neighbor once had a fling with an ex of DW's former college roommate. Deal is all but done Campbell's for dinner tonight

I don’t know anything about Campbell other than his teams play above their heads. Don’t know if he’s an offensive guy, defensive guy. Don’t know how he recruits or where he’s from or anything.

And I kind of don’t even want to try and learn because I can’t quit Lane.

Bring me Lane, with Steele as DC, Lebby as OC. Bringing in Garner. Keeping Jay Graham.

Let’s talk ish to Kirby and Mullen and sing Rocky Top at the top of our lungs.

Someone posted the video of us going up 38-17 vs uga when Lane was here, and the team huddle jumping on the field while the crowd rocked the stadium and it just made me feel all sorts of ways.

I need that back in my life.

Last edited:
I don’t know anything about Campbell other than his teams play above their heads. Don’t know if he’s an offensive guy, defensive guy. Don’t know how he recruits or where he’s from or anything.

And I kind of don’t even want to try and learn because I can’t quit Lane.

Bring me Lane, with Steele as DC, Lebby as OC. Bringing in Garner. Keeping Jay Graham.

Let’s talk ish to Kirby and Mullen and sign Rocky Top at the top of our lungs.

Someone posted the video of us going up 38-17 vs uga when Lane was here, and the team huddle jumping on the field while the crowd rocked the stadium and it just made me feel all sorts of ways.

I need that back in my life.
Agreed.

That said... Campbell would be an absolute home run...

The more I learn about him the more I like Tony Elliott. Let me try to explain. I would very much prefer that he had been a head coach at some point. For sure. But that doesn't mean he's not ready for this and wouldn't crush here.

Just seeing his name float around made me feel uneasy earlier. But after hearing him speak and researching him more I can see why people think highly of him. He's impressive and in my opinion would make a massive impact on our culture in a positive way. He's had offensive success through the roof. He had loads of talent to work with, but he also recruited a lot of it there. I could see him recruit at a very high level here, both assistant coaches and players. It's possible Dabo has been grooming him for an opportunity like this for a really long time. Hiring a coordinator worked for UGA. Smart had never been a head coach. Just because it didn't work for Pruitt doesn't mean anything in regards to Elliott. My guess is Elliott would have a much higher chance of success under Danny White than Pruitt did under Fulmer. Plus he's an offensive guy.

Would it work here? Could he build a program from the ground up? This is a tough job. I do think this AD will climb over a mountain for whoever he hires to see them succeed. He's good at this. Who knows though. It's a tall climb for whoever takes the job. We're all looking for the sure thing hire. We may or may not have one on the table.

Maybe it's Matt Campbell. I think he's the first call and would be a comet shot across the landscape of college football, but I'm still a little skeptical he'll make the leap. Just feels too good to be true at the moment for me. Even though he probably should take it. Kiffin could happen and I think there's reason for hope but I have my doubts about his sincere interest. I'll believe it when I see it. That part goes for Freeze too. I think both could be incredible hires. I have been knocking down the doors for both of them but I can't shake this hunch we might be looking for the next Kiffin/Freeze instead. That's kinda what White is good at. That's what we really want. Success. No more drama. At least for awhile.

After those names it's a bunch of guys that all have their own risks. But a ton of them with high upside. I think we'll find somebody good. We should try not to harshly judge the hire the day it's announced just because it's not the coach we wanted or had built up in our mind. Wait a few weeks or better yet until we get to this time next year and we'll have a more clear picture. We don't have any clue how any hire is gonna actually play out.

We need a coach to lead us out of this hole. If that coach ends up also being the answer to getting us back to competing for the SEC championship then hell yeah.

But for the first time as a Tennessee fan I have faith that if whoever we hire doesn't have a championship ceiling and that becomes evident, our AD will fire him quickly and find a better coach. Hopefully by then this will have become a coveted job that elite coaches will be trying to get. To get there you have to hire a good man right now at the very minimum that shines a positive light on everything Tennessee. It has to be fun and hopeful and get us back to regular bowl games again. That's step 1 for whoever we hire anyways.

Fun fact. Matt Campbell, Billy Napier and Tony Elliott are all 41 years old. I think they all represent a different tier in all this. But all 3 of them have the characteristics White mentioned he was looking for and is known to target. Each one took different paths to this Tennessee search. They all found incredible success in the current job they're in. Let's see who wants to build something here.

The more I learn about him the more I like Tony Elliott. Let me try to explain. I would very much prefer that he had been a head coach at some point. For sure. But that doesn't mean he's not ready for this and wouldn't crush here.

Just seeing his name float around made me feel uneasy earlier. But after hearing him speak and researching him more I can see why people think highly of him. He's impressive and in my opinion would make a massive impact on our culture in a positive way. He's had offensive success through the roof. He had loads of talent to work with, but he also recruited a lot of it there. I could see him recruit at a very high level here, both assistant coaches and players. It's possible Dabo has been grooming him for an opportunity like this for a really long time. Hiring a coordinator worked for UGA. Smart had never been a head coach. Just because it didn't work for Pruitt doesn't mean anything in regards to Elliott. My guess is Elliott would have a much higher chance of success under Danny White than Pruitt did under Fulmer. Plus he's an offensive guy.

Would it work here? Could he build a program from the ground up? This is a tough job. I do think this AD will climb over a mountain for whoever he hires to see them succeed. He's good at this. Who knows though. It's a tall climb for whoever takes the job. We're all looking for the sure thing hire. We may or may not have one on the table.

Maybe it's Matt Campbell. I think he's the first call and would be a comet shot across the landscape of college football, but I'm still a little skeptical he'll make the leap. Just feels too good to be true at the moment for me. Even though he probably should take it. Kiffin could happen and I think there's reason for hope but I have my doubts about his sincere interest. I'll believe it when I see it. That part goes for Freeze too. I think both could be incredible hires. I have been knocking down the doors for both of them but I can't shake this hunch we might be looking for the next Kiffin/Freeze instead. That's kinda what White is good at. That's what we really want. Success. No more drama. At least for awhile.

After those names it's a bunch of guys that all have their own risks. But a ton of them with high upside. I think we'll find somebody good. We should try not to harshly judge the hire the day it's announced just because it's not the coach we wanted or had built up in our mind. Wait a few weeks or better yet until we get to this time next year and we'll have a more clear picture. We don't have any clue how any hire is gonna actually play out.

We need a coach to lead us out of this hole. If that coach ends up also being the answer to getting us back to competing for the SEC championship then hell yeah.

But for the first time as a Tennessee fan I have faith that if whoever we hire doesn't have a championship ceiling and that becomes evident, our AD will fire him quickly and find a better coach. Hopefully by then this will have become a coveted job that elite coaches will be trying to get. To get there you have to hire a good man right now at the very minimum that shines a positive light on everything Tennessee. It has to be fun and hopeful and get us back to regular bowl games again. That's step 1 for whoever we hire anyways.

Fun fact. Matt Campbell, Billy Napier and Tony Elliott are all 41 years old. I think they all represent a different tier in all this. But all 3 of them have the characteristics White mentioned he was looking for and is known to target. Each one took different paths to this Tennessee search. They all found incredible success in the current job they're in. Let's see who wants to build something here.

giphy.gif

Good morning! Go VOLS. Someone please get us a coach today.

Well, the difference with the Campbell stuff, is everyone leaking it is saying their hearing it from the ISU side, not the UT side
And it’s interesting that Bob said that is the only way anything would leak. If it’s Campbell, I think it might be announced today, especially if anymore leaks start happening.

If you go the coordinator route, then you can't do better than Elliott. Great offense and a great recruiter. It would definitely hurt Clemson and would also likely lock up Ty Simpson.

However, UT is in an obviously critical situation where this hire has to be the right one and they can't afford to take a chance. If they don't land a bigger name with a great resume as a head coach, then they are pretty much in the same spot they were in when they hired Pruitt...from a public perception standpoint. It wouldn't generate that excitement from those around the program or the fans. Like it or not, winning the PR battle is a big deal right now considering the public embarrassment of yet another failed coach and an NCAA black cloud. The hire of White was a massive PR win that let the college sports world know that Tennessee was done messing around. Follow that up with a big hire and the public perception of Tennessee's football program and its outlook are completely changed.

Alabama got a huge leg up in their rebuild due to the public perception of the direction of the program after hiring Saban. Suddenly almost every recruit was interested. Ok, so the Dodge Chargers didn't hurt...but every recruit saw an Alabama offer in a completely different way because that hire alone showed that they were going to do whatever it took to get back to the top.

He could very well be the right guy to turn things around, but Elliott wouldn't give the program that boost, and it's badly needed.

If you go the coordinator route, then you can't do better than Elliott. Great offense and a great recruiter. It would definitely hurt Clemson and would also likely lock up Ty Simpson.

However, UT is in an obviously critical situation where this hire has to be the right one and they can't afford to take a chance. If they don't land a bigger name with a great resume as a head coach, then they are pretty much in the same spot they were in when they hired Pruitt...from a public perception standpoint. It wouldn't generate that excitement from those around the program or the fans. Like it or not, winning the PR battle is a big deal right now considering the public embarrassment of yet another failed coach and an NCAA black cloud. The hire of White was a massive PR win that let the college sports world know that Tennessee was done messing around. Follow that up with a big hire and the public perception of Tennessee's football program and its outlook are completely changed.

Alabama got a huge leg up in their rebuild due to the public perception of the direction of the program after hiring Saban. Suddenly almost every recruit was interested. Ok, so the Dodge Chargers didn't hurt...but every recruit saw an Alabama offer in a completely different way because that hire alone showed that they were going to do whatever it took to get back to the top.

He could very well be the right guy to turn things around, but Elliott wouldn't give the program that boost, and it's badly needed.
Not wrong. And that doesn't make a potential Elliott hire a bad one... But I do agree with you on this.

Really good post.

Who would have thought Danny White would have left UCF for Tennessee? I was poking around one of the ISU message boards and this is their reaction to the notion that Campbell might be in consideration for the head coaching job here. I will definitely return to their boards if Campbell does in fact get offered and accepts to become our next head football coach. The meltdown may be of the epic quality. jmo.

If you want to see another good Matt Campbell joke go over and read the thread on the Tennessee 247 forum. Also idiots on twitter saying their new AD has been in contact with CMC. That can mean something as simple as him calling Matt and hearing him laugh his a$$ off on the other end of the line at the thought of heading to that dumpster fire

I’m sure he did try getting ahold of him but yeah that’s hilarious if he thought he might be interested in that shitshow

Tennessee went after him hard last time... what makes them think things have changed
Some of those ding dongs think Iowa state is nervous trying to find money to pay him... yes very true, but not for another year and especially not nervous about Tennessee lmfao.
I poked around a little after reading this and had to chuckle a bit to myself when I saw the "Iowa State is nervous" post. No one, even the most pessimistic of ISU regulars, is even remotely concerned about ******** Tennessee.

I like Tennessee and I would say they are probably my second favorite team to follow. But yeah, not happening.

And I love one of the pinned articles over there from a writer saying something along the lines of "everyone knows he's not going to be in Ames forever". Well sure, nobody stays decades at the same job anymore except a few. But we're now on Year 4 of Campbell being one of the most coveted coaches in the country and he's still here. I want to know at what point does he have to stay for people to understand that maybe he just likes being at Iowa State? Hard to believe, I know.

This could be glorious. jmo.

I don't think people should judge too much the candidates White interviewed and hired at Buffalo and UCF as the qualifications and expectations are different for them vs head coach at Tennessee, even with us being down. We are also at a precipitous point where there is a LOT riding on this hire. Danny White knows all this and will hire accordingly. Jason Candle? gtfo with that ****.

Finally caught up. I hate you all.
I think at least half of this board doesn’t work. I mean how in the world do you have time to post so much that it’s averaging about 10 pages an hour? Went on a date with my wife last night...last time I checked VN was around 5:15. Got on @ 9:30 and was 45 or 49 pages behind...ON A FRIDAY NIGHT! I’m like...does no one have a life?? Can posters who bring nugs from TOS maybe put them in all caps, so for those of us trying to scroll through quickly to find the good stuff will be able to notice it easily and not miss it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back