Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to admit, Kiffin concerns me that he might be trolling. He's so media savvy (specifically social media), he knows the type of buzz this is getting and he could get with a simple #stayinginthesip tweet after a few more days of buzz.

That's a genuine concern, but I love watching his teams play and would love to see him back in orange so I'm going to push those concerns aside and get my hopes up.

My hot board in no order, but guys that I think fit a Danny White hire:

Kiffin
Napier
Campbell
Chadwell
Herman fits but I know people at Texas that think he's an offensive version of Pruitt that loves his booze(but who am I to judge that?)
Tony Elliot
Joe Brady
Kalani Sitake

Oh, I agree. In the NFL they have the Rooney Rule where they have to interview minority candidates. Something like that in the SEC would be a good idea imo.
All we would do is trot Tee Martin..... give him a fake interview and then bring in the candidate that you really want to hire..... minority hiring really starts at the lower level.... move your way up to being in charge of a lower program such as a Jamey Chaldwell.... that candidate.... no matter the color.... will become popular and someone will give him his shot.

I’m trusting White to make a good move—-judging by the temperature on the board I’m expecting 70-75% of ya’ll to not like it.

Nah, I think White's universal love around here will outweigh that. Whoever he picks, the board will immediately convince themselves it's a great hire. Myself included. White hasn't appeared to have missed yet.

Reactions: Neyland Law Vol
Where we are today.. TL;dr, but happy version.

Grand slam HR for the AD selection. We know the next hire will be a sitting HC. That came from Randy, Donde and AV confirmed. We know to watch Chris Lowe. We know they are going fast and the local media including VQ is clueless about who that is. As usual. We know VQ is a good source for recruiting news, so they should just stay in that lane. That will be $9.95.

We know Danny White keeps a short list of of potential hires at all times like all great AD's do. The 4 leg stool will facilitate the hire happening with the FU money. The old money can use it on Neyland and UT facility upgrades like they have in the past. We will now need those upgrades IMO. We will thank the old money for doing so because they love the Vols and are big fans as well. It was just time for them to step back from hiring coaches and such.

We know the money is available to make it a major hire since they paid major bucks to DW. The young money is over UT sucking at football. They know the investigation will hamper the rebuild, so they need a successful program builder with a preferable offensive background who is unafraid of taking the project on. The UT fan base is football smart, which was demonstrated with burning mattress night, Rommel, SchiaNOgate, Botch and with Happy Meals Gump. We also know they know the great value of having an AD that knows his shiz by the unified reaction to DW being hired after a long list of AD's with dubious distinctions. The new HC will want built-in safeguards over football staff, coach hiring/firing, and sufficient time to turn it around without concern for early termination. That means the hire has to be universally acceptable to 80+% of the fanbase up front if possible. The HC needs to have thick skin and able to withstand Vol twitter when things get turbulent. The big paycheck should help him do that. He should work closely with the 4 leg stool and it should all turn out well for everybody.

Personally, I enjoy speculating on who that HC may be. Opinions and arseholes abound on here and it is fun. I would love to see for at least part of today that we just enjoy welcoming Danny White and his family to Rocky Top. He's a winner and a keeper. We need to show our appreciation for him walking into this dumpster fire with the equipment to put that fire out. GBO!

Well. Put.

Reactions: SoilVol and Vols4us
Here is the mistake Currie made that hopefully White won't. Currie let the fever pitch grow about Gruden, he should have found a way to make sure everyone knew Gruden wasn't on the table. Behind the scenes Currie thought it was "funny" that everyone thought Gruden was on the table.

The same fever pitch is going to grow for Kiffin. If he isn't a legit candidate, they better find a way to ease into it before possibly walking out what would seem a disappointment to fans but an actual good hire.

Let's be real for a moment.

Addressing the "it" coach is a no win situation.

If they come out and address internet rumors that they did nothing to create they are just validating nonsense. Imagine how many people here would start talking about smokescreens, and "insiders" would pop up with stories of olive garden and scotch laden meetings on golf courses.

The next thing you know the local "media" starts repeating bits of these stories, and the fever pitch grows.

The best thing the AD can do is move swiftly, efficiently, and make a great hire.

Oh, I agree. In the NFL they have the Rooney Rule where they have to interview minority candidates. Something like that in the SEC would be a good idea imo.
Not a fan of the Rooney Rule for one reason. It creates and perpetuates the token effect. The idea of interviewing one minority candidate just because he's a minority is insulting. People should be hired on merit, not race. I don't think any minority candidate wants to be considered just because they're a minority. They want to be considered because they earned it, and they deserve it. And if anyone is stupid enough to ignore a qualified candidate based on race, I say who wants to work for a racist bastard? I'm a firm believer that attitudes need to change, but I'm also a firm believer in advancement through merit. You hire the best, most qualified person. Race, gender, sexuality...none of that should matter.

I keep reading this narrative on Kiffin, and I know we've all heard some pretty sordid details from his time here, but what has Kiffin actually done as a HC, or even since he left Pete Carroll's USC program, that's caused the NCAA to come down on him? I am really grasping at straws here.

I’m just wondering (if this is what you are asking) what has he done as a head coach? Won at Florida Atlantic? I’ll admit he’s a good offensive mind but what has he done?

Here is the mistake Currie made that hopefully White won't. Currie let the fever pitch grow about Gruden, he should have found a way to make sure everyone knew Gruden wasn't on the table. Behind the scenes Currie thought it was "funny" that everyone thought Gruden was on the table.

The same fever pitch is going to grow for Kiffin. If he isn't a legit candidate, they better find a way to ease into it before possibly walking out what would seem a disappointment to fans but an actual good hire.

So ADs have to address internet rumors?

Society is full of children and children in adult bodies I swear.

Reactions: Vols4us and Atzar
Split there coaching tenure into splits and compare the first half to the second.

Patterson dominated the mountain west. If you take out the Covid year, his first 4 years in the Big 12 were better than his last 4. The 5th and 7th place shouldn't be happening in the second half. In the first half it was the team adjusting to a harder confrence.

Screenshot_20210122-093830.png

It is interesting though that we aren't really hearing anything about any black candidates. There weren't really any black candidates discussed for South Carolina, Auburn, Texas, etc. either. Next season will likely be the first season in a long time in which there isn't a single black head coach in the SEC.
I've mentioned Eric bieniemy and Jim Caldwell as being my 2 favorites a few times. Do I count? I would not be surprised if it's one of them at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back