Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Too good not to share - from Stoerner Fumbles:

A couple of quick updates from inadmissible hearsay from a very unreliable source who speaks very little English and wishes he never met me: Search firm is moving in overdrive. My friend says they are doing background checks and character interviews on AD candidates already. While it seems to be the journalists’ opinion that an AD won’t be hired until mid February, my friend says he can’t see it going more than a week. He says that there is the most organized group behind how to hire that there has been on any search. There is also the most money prepared to hire someone. He guessed that there is over 40mm to hire a coach on a five plus year contract. He said that the university has the be careful in how they handle the hire. It needs to be perceived as a thoughtful response to the past infractions, or it won’t play well with the NCAA or SEC. Right now, we’re in hot water with both. On Pruitt, my friend said there is a real sadness for the damage done. Some of those fired in compliance were kids following orders. Many of them were told what to say, and then fired for saying it. Players and signees were assured by Pruitt and Fulmer that things would be ok, and he would not be fired. Phil resigned as much for that as he did for Pruitt’s failure. For all Phil’s mistakes, I think he may regret the last few weeks of fighting for Pruitt the most. People who know him say he’s crushed and in a daze. To be clear, Pruitt’s failure was epic, and began on day one. In the early days Pruitt treated AD staff, compliance and even professors like they served the team. Prior to Plowman, more than one person elevated concerns that Pruitt and Nieds practices were too egregious and would be caught. Those concerns were ignored. Many were rooting for him to fail, and many expected it. Pruitt’s style is to use his allegiance of players, and threats to micromanage others. Many of our on the field failures were him making a point. Friend pushed back on cross-training all linemen like high schoolers, and Pruitt tripled cross-training them. Look at West Virginia game for results. This year, Chaney designed three core plays for Shrout without discussing with Pruitt. He used them in a scrimmage, and blew away the D. While it’s a common thing for OC and DC to try things in a scrimmage, Pruitt threw a public fit, and said we’d never see those plays in a game. Pruitt changed starting DL lineup before KY game, and humiliated Brumbaugh in front of team and fired him. Look at the score for the results. This is the kind of thing he was willing to do just to make a point. In the conference people perceive that Nieds and Pruitt created an “arms race” on player payment. (More hearsay) Big signees families typically were given a standard payment in many tens of thousands. There are even instances of players receiving money and signing elsewhere. It will be interesting to see how much of this the NCAA wants to face. UT is on the record after the investigation. Many other coaches know who else plays dirty. The money and power will not want a light shined or Georgia or Bama. Given that Georgia is where some paid players landed, it will be harder for them to hide. The NCAA will be very cautious in how they handle us given the possibility of opening more wounds by digging too deep. That said, our list of level one and two violations is a long one. As for current coaches, they aren’t being given much communication or support for understanding what’s next. Frankly they don’t even know who to listen to. Steele is the key communication point for players. He’s doing a good job. Pruitt spoke highly of him in his message to players. They see Steele as trustworthy. Look for the university to hire an AD quickly, and to make a big offer to a coach with a good reputation and long track record. If you can imagine a candidate selling glitter-coated bibles at a strip club, he probably isn’t getting hired. We probably won’t be hiring Joey Freshwater, Jamey Jet Ski or Reverend Blindside. I’m not judging the quality of those guys as coaches, but no one expects the Chancellor to ride with the devil on this one. Consensus seems to be they are going to pay serious money for a very experienced candidate who will sign a long term deal. Some of the names being discussed are very impressive. I have no idea how realistic they are. If they succeed with that tier, we’ll all be very happy. If they move down a level, expect stability over glitz. Strange times on the hill.
As far as this violation bullcrap..Pruitt and Nieds didn't start the "arms race"...they just did what the big dogs have been doing for a long time. They have done nothing that everybody else hasn't been doing for a long time.

As far as the other crap...Pruitt is a bad head coach and did stupid things..he should have been fired just for that.

Stumping for Fulmer in a press conference to “preserve his legacy” and fool the sheeple info thinking this was a retirement, only to signal to anyone with two brain cells that we’re paying him nearly $40,000 in hush money per month because this is actually a firing.

Fulmer’s “legacy” too me has been permanently tarnished. He continues to milk the university after doing irreparable damage to this program not once but TWICE. The national championship is nice, but I’m trying to imagine just where this program could be today if Fulmer didn’t nuke Knoxville on his way out the door both times.

He’s not helped, but we wouldn’t have our expectations if Fulmer never wins a title. I know people want to pick a side with him and Majors, but the success after becoming coach shows he was most likely the correct choice.

Let him ride into the sunset, shut the door, and move on.

You just can't make a program this toxic, keep doing things to make it worse and ask everybody to be patient while you continue to drag it down. People are sick of it-- especially players.
Buddy it’s not going to matter until you and all these “big money guys” make a damn good hire and stop playing around. You boosters and what not need to walk in there and demand they not f it up or you’ll stop donating money.

Everything in college football revolves around the QB. Get good to great QB play and a rebuild won’t take near as long.

That’s been the missing piece for the better part of a decade. Even with Dobbs the “foundation” seemed shaky at best because of Butch.

Absolutely! QB cures everything.

I am in @Ulysees E. McGill camp regarding Plowman. I don’t feel nearly as good about this as others. I don’t think she will resuscitate us. Perhaps the boosters will.

LA’s right about a lot of it, but from what I’ve learned, it was probably headed this way regardless. Too much paper trail, too many in the loop on what we were doing, and WAY too many people with axes to grind regarding Pruitt.

Reactions: crazyguy
Gray transferring sucks just because I liked him so much but we have some serious depth there. Crouch, meh, whatever. Henry won’t be replaceable but maybe Willis, French, or Eason can step up! We can recover...we do need a couple tackles though, lol, especially with Wright out next.

This Isn’t the time to take shots at these players. Anyone that’s ever played college sports know there is a special bond between the coaches that recruited you. I don’t blame them one bit here.

I hope they stay long enough to change their minds but if they don’t I don’t blame them

Hire the right guy and I’ll guarantee we do better than win 30% of our games next year without these guys.

I’m struggling to be heart broken over losing guys from a 3-7 team. I think they can and will be replaced. You don’t have to be more talented you just have to do your job better. Get a coach that has 11 guys that do their job and we’ll be shocked what the product looks like. We haven’t seen it in a while.

Everybody in P5 knows what everybody else is doing. Can you see Georgia, Alabama, LSU, OSU or Clemson doing this to themself? They would fight to the AA to the bitter end, and still wouldn't admit to anything.
Everyone else hasn’t had a coach that people have been calling Forrest Gump for the last 3 years. He exceeded our expectations of his ignorance beyond what we thought was possible.
Everyone else could probably hide, cover up a lot of their cheating, He could of bought advertising on an I 40 billboard and it wouldn’t of been any more obvious.

Reactions: Tnfan41
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back