Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah..... I noticed that it seemed like offenses were ahead of defenses with the shortened practice times.... well.... besides ours of course.

Georgia was the best defense in the SEC for much of the year but still struggled a number of games.
bama was just ok and A&M got shredded by UnC.

It was an awful
Year for defenses

Maybe.... I wouldn’t want to come here if I had plenty of opportunities with the kind of support that our admin gives but the fact is none of those guys are guaranteed success.... your list includes three coaches that have been fired for not being productive at their schools.

Kiffin, Malzahn and Herman. I think most TN fans would have taken these records over the last 10 years. Saban, Dabo, Day and even Kirby aren't coming here. These 3 would absolutely fall into the next category. They all have 10 wins programs in power 5 conferences. They all have 10 win seasons within the last 4 years. The last time we had a 10 win team was 2007.

Screenshot_20210117-133145_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210117-134541_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210117-134510_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: MrVolton
Georgia was the best defense in the SEC for much of the year but still struggled a number of games.

It was an awful
Year for defenses
I saw a graphic a few months that showed their was huge difference in defense this year from the past year in sec play.

Reactions: BruinVol
I went to FAU and it is the farthest thing you can think of from a football school. They only got a stadium just before Kiffin got there and to be honest it was mostly built just so they could host some bowl games. He did an awesome job there imho.

IF we can somehow steal Gilbert, i'm actually pretty damn excited to see what happens with Gray, Gilbert, Velus and Hyatt on the field at the same time as HB.
That could actually end up being a damned good offense if Chaney can scheme for them properly.
EDIT: and Wideman. Can't believe I forgot to mention him.

Yeah man. I mean I think it's pretty clear we have some decent amount of talent. Not world beaters but good enough to beat UK for gods sake... The question is mostly about coaching, development, and personnel decisions... all of which have been pretty weak.

Kiffin, Malzahn and Herman. I think most TN fans would have taken these records over the last 10 years. Saban, Dabo, Day and even Kirby aren't coming here. These 3 would absolutely fall into the next category. They all have 10 wins programs in power 5 conferences. They all have 10 win seasons within the last 4 years. The last time we had a 10 win team was 2007.

View attachment 339906

View attachment 339907

View attachment 339908
I would think that the rebuild job at Tennessee is harder than at any of those schools with Auburn being the closest..... could they replicate that at Tennessee..... given that they were mediocre at other schools.

There's bad defenses and then there are bad defenses. This past years defense was the be rung above the Sunseri defense. He's never had to field a defense with average talent. His success has been built on the backs of five star players. That's ok if you can recruit at that level but he can't do that at TN.
I agree. I also think it’s more to do with his core defensive philosophy.

Press man outside and exotic blitzes, particularly from the second level. If you don’t have a great or elite pass rush off your front 5 alone then neither of these are possible.

It’s no different then Pete Carroll’s. It’s nearly impossibly to play that cover 3 unless you have a great pass rush in front of it.

It was an awful
Year for defenses
Defense has become about 3 stats...

Plays given up over 20 yds
3rd down efficiency
Red zone td allowed

Offenses are going to get yds. I would actually argue that this is one Pruitt’s strong suits. I think he knows these are the keys to successful D in today’s game. That’s why he speaks to them so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back