Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
What all do you not like about this team?

Looking at our team objectively..

Little to no returning offensive production, No consensus starting QB (but no way it’s not better than the last four years whatever happens). Linebacker and secondary talent and depth. Feel good about DL. Inexperienced DC. That’s what keeps me at 6-6. I don’t think our defense will be good.

*I’ve not really studied our roster though as much as you guys.

What all do you not like about this team?
I just feel like we're having to rely on an awful lot of transfers in order to even keep us decent, and I don't know that they can gel in so short a time. We lost 7 games by double digits last year, and while I think we can all agree that was a horrendous coaching job, our brand new coaching staff just doesn't have a whole heck of a lot to work with. When was the last time a first-year coach did better than 5-7? Kiffin, I guess. I just have to see it to believe it.

I think @Catbone is right. The Pitt game is kinda pivotal. Win that and I could see us getting to 7-5. Lose it and we struggle to get bowl eligible. WAX Pitt and I'll be talking Florida upset.

ETA: Dooley went 6-6. My bad.

I just feel like we're having to rely on an awful lot of transfers in order to even keep us decent, and I don't know that they can gel in so short a time. We lost 7 games by double digits last year, and while I think we can all agree that was a horrendous coaching job, our brand new coaching staff just doesn't have a whole heck of a lot to work with. When was the last time a first-year coach did better than 5-7? Kiffin, I guess. I just have to see it to believe it.

I think @Catbone is right. The Pitt game is kinda pivotal. Win that and I could see us getting to 7-5. Lose it and we struggle to get bowl eligible. WAX Pitt and I'll be talking Florida upset.
Adequately replaced players and signees who left. Would’ve been easy to shut down, but the new staff recruited transfers very impressively. We’re better than last season roster wise as a result.

Last edited:
Regarding the new WR Commit Chas Nimrod, his HS coach says:

“He’s a very selfless individual who will mold well with the culture that’s already being created. His work ethic is good. He is a likeable kid and is easy to have a conversation with. People love being around the young man.”

I mean, not trying to get overly PosiVol, but Heupel’s staff seems like a lot of smart and personable guys. And they seem to be really putting a focus on recruiting smart and personable guys.

Who knows where it goes as far as probabilities for success, but it would seem the odds are Definitely better than a bunch of jackass, dull coaches recruiting dull and jackassey kids.

Not when using RPOs and quick passes. That split second difference can make all the difference in being able to juke in space and being hit immediately.

In others - get what you're saying. Still has value but not like in the NFL.
It's absolutely useless when you can't hit the broad side of a barn a lot of the time.

Here's my thought process: I think our rosters are flat better than Bowling Green, Tennessee Tech, South Alabama, and Vanderbilt. All of those have got to be wins. These are not talented football teams we're talking about.

I see three rosters better than the Vols for sure: Florida, Georgia, and Alabama. I don't think we can touch Alabama. But I once saw Kirby Smart lose to a 4-8 South Carolina team coached by Will Muschamp and I feel like Tennessee could beat Florida if Heupel is the offensive wizard many hope he is, especially if it's a Florida that just got waxed by Bama and is expecting a quick and easy rebound against a lousy UT.

Then I see five rosters where I really don't know. I could see Tennessee losing to or beating each of these teams. I have a hard time seeing them beat all of them. Losing to all of them strikes me as a distinct possibility if there are key injuries or if the QB position turns out to be a dumpster fire.

The bottom line is that if absolutely everything went right, they could wind up 10-2. But absolutely everything is not going to go right and we all know that. If everything goes wrong, they end up 4-8. If some things go right and some things go wrong, they settle at about 7-5.

I think I've been conditioned to be a pessimist since I've only really been a diehard since about 2007 or so and most of my existence has been pain mixed with disappointment and also more pain, so I can see everything going wrong a lot more easily than I can see it all going right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back