Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
98 without question
No way

The success the basketball team has had is way more impactful.

Things like

Getting to the elite 8

Number one in the country under Pearl

Number one in the country under Barnes

The timing of this current basevol team's rise to the top has been perfect, and we need some good news around here, but the success men's basketball started having since the end of the Fulmer era is the most significant thing since 98.

No way

Things like

Getting to the elite 8

The timing of this current basevol team's rise to the top has been perfect, and we need some good news around here, but the success men's basketball started having since the end of the Fulmer era is the most significant thing since 98.
This. And even winning the East a few times in football.

I'll be honest - myself and many other major college sports fans probably couldn't even name a recent champion in college baseball (only reason I knew 2019 was because Rocker was on Vandy...). It just isn't a big sport - I believe it has similar ratings to college softball.

Not to diminish the potential of winning it all. It would be GREAT because it is UT. But if we weren't in it, only a very small portion of fans would even be keeping up with the CWS. I mean...we've literally had to ask one another and google how the postseason works 😅

Last edited:
This. And even winning the East a few times in football.

I'll be honest - myself and many other major college sports fans probably couldn't even name a recent baseball champion in college (only reason I knew 2019 was because Rocker was on Vandy...). It just isn't a big sport - I believe it has similar ratings to softball.

Not to diminish the potential of winning it all. It would be GREAT because it is UT. But if we weren't in it, not but a very small portion of fans would even be keeping up with it. I mean...we've literally had to ask one another and google how the postseason works 😅

no one has paid attention due to sucking for so long. if football keeps it up it will see something similar. I’m not talking about something crazy, but I won’t be surprised. Would be funny 20 years from now and a new poster on here says the same thing as you just did, but reversed.

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill
I love how little sense it makes. Make UVA and DBU travel to that hellhole Columbia, SC and end up with a mostly empty stadium...

Are these the same fellers that determined how tennis would be scored? Love 15 30 40 deuce....what?!

I don’t love Columbia. But they have a really nice baseball facility and fans in SC are really in to college baseball

Reactions: VolsDoc81TX
No way

Things like

Getting to the elite 8

Ehhh... National Championship in baseball = Final 4 in basketball imo

“We have a basketball program now” is great and all but the dynamics of that do not fit squarely against a singular accomplishment.
Its comparing a great career as a botanist with many achievements and a healthy savings account and happy family life to Norman Borlaug.

Are you kidding? This dude is gonna have a chance to be in the majors for a long time as a closer. I'll admit the coach pulled a bone head mistake by starting him. He just gave up on his normal starters that carried them all year.
Dude was a 6 year senior. He is already past normal MLB prospect age. And his one pitch is not enough to have him in the majors off the bat. Someone will draft him but he has 0 leverage due to age and mileage.

Who funded those studies, travel ball coaches? The problem is travel ball coaching. They want to win so bad they will risk a young persons arm before it is mature enough to handle that type of workload. The reason Nolan Ryan could handle it is because his arm had developed before he pitched 235 pitches in a game. Youth sports are causing problems with major league sports.

These are two different issues. A young person or even college pitcher is certainly different than a pro. But I think volbeast was even referring to pros because I am pretty sure Cliff Lee was the last pitcher to pitch into at least the 10th inning, and that was 2012. It hasn’t happened much. The older pitchers used to pitch more, and that’s fine. It’s happening in pro basketball, too.

In Jacob DeGrom’s best ERA year (which was considered great), he was 29 and pitched 9 innings just once. In 1974, Nolan Ryan was 27 and pitched nine innings 23 times. He had two ten inning games, an eleven inning, and the thirteen inning game.

Maybe batting has gotten better, too, and that can be considered. But Nolan Ryan was very aware about how certain pitches could hurt his arm, and he figured out a way to throw for many years.

Reactions: VolsDoc81TX
no one has paid attention due to sucking for so long. if football keeps it up it will see something similar. I’m not talking about something crazy, but I won’t be surprised. Would be funny 20 years from now and a new poster on here says the same thing as you just did, but reversed.

Just talking fans in general, not only UT fans. Yes, we in particular haven't paid much attention. But we are closer to the general population than the enclaves of Gainesville or Baton Rouge. Just not a popular sport across the country. 1 game of the 2019 championship had about 3% of the basketball championship viewership. It's miniscule.

I have no doubt if WE do well, WE will show up and watch more. But national viewership will still be laughably small. Is what it is.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back