Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t think we’re generating enough positive mojo for a completely outlandish, unrealistic, megapowerball hire like Chris Petersen. Because why not? Reel him in, Danny!

1. Campbell
2. Fickell
3. Fleck
4. Elliot

I think they could all be successful at UT.
Elliott may be able to help w recruiting the most bc of connections to 2022 kids.
If that’s the real list, that’s really good considering it’s late January and we’re looking for a coach.

Fickle Fleck sounds like a jab from the 1800s.

Reactions: 731Vol
Unless it’s true that Campbells buyout ends on 2/1

Or they don’t want to get lost in the playoff news today.
If Campbell is the guy I want I’m not going to wait a couple weeks and let 1 million delay taking action if I think he’s the guy that can bring us back to winning seasons and NC contention. Having a winning program will more than pay for that.

The being really tall didn't apply to the HC, it applied to the fact that the fleets aren't using tiny cessnas. He's also got the best team in the PAC-12 with Nike money. He's not leaving.
He is from Miami. Taking the Oregon job was a no brainer for him as it was high profile and a jump up. Now maybe he wants to be closer back to FL and this would offer that opportunity.

I’m not saying he is leaving, I’m just saying there are more factors to look at.

Reactions: ugg
This is common sense

Yet it really isn’t.

The last 4 really bad NcAa issues I can think of were Miami, usc, Ohio state and penn state.

Miami and USC hired sitting head coaches and failed

Ohio state allowed an assistant a year to be an intern and succeeded

Penn state hire an assistant and succeeded

so no it’s not common sense. It’s the opposite really

The being really tall didn't apply to the HC, it applied to the fact that the fleets aren't using tiny cessnas. He's also got the best team in the PAC-12 with Nike money. He's not leaving.

He’s in a conference that’s not been in the playoff picture in a long time. You are in the SEC you win a SEC title you are in the CFP. If I were looking for a college football coach in the Pac12 looking to compete at a high level I would definitely look into it.

It’s fashionable to think this is the only way to go but history doesn’t agree

USC hired someone with head coaching experience in Lane and failed

Penn state hired a coach without head coaching experience in BOB and he succeeded.

Ohio state allowed an assistant to be an interim for a year and succeeded

Miami hired a head coach in Al Golden and failed

Give me some examples they prove hiring a head coach is the way to go????
Every situation is different. I think it’s a lot easier to hire an assistant, and preferably an assistant on staff, after a successful coach leaves or retires. Like when Urban and Stoops left they replaced them with Day and Riley because the culture and expectations were clear and already set.

When OSU and Alabama were in tail spins, post Tressel and all the pre-Saban coaches, they went out and hired proven winners that got them back on track. I know these are specific examples and nothing is a sure thing, I just think that’s where we’re at right now and why I want a guy that’s been the one running the operation and has had success doing so

Reactions: BruinVol
Just because the search has been ran properly with no leaks doesn’t mean the search went well. You can run a textbook search and miss on your targets and still land on a mediocre hire.

Reactions: ugg and nashvol1
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back