Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, AV said that he is over the moon. That was just yesterday. That was after the TE outreach rumors. He said it will be a head coach and don't worry. He also posted with smiles and apparently in good spirits.

He would not come around here with all of that optimism and affirming other positive posts/intel from others if we were to be anything other than hopeful and excited.

Relax. Let the pros that we (finally) have in place get this done. Look out for Chris Lowe. Look out for AV. They are quiet for a reason right now, while all the other media around the program are throwing anything against the wall.

Good news incoming, just chill.
I thought he was over the moon because Fulmer was not in charge anymore.

I honestly think the biggest issue we've had hiring coaches has been a lack of cohesive leadership above the coach. From the president, chancellor and AD. Even if some of our hires could have worked out i think they may have all been set up for failure because the culture and support above them was less than desirable. It's maybe too early to tell but the way the past week has gone has given hope that all that appears to be far improved. Which will help in getting this hire right, even in the event it's not the perceived home run VN wants, and it will help whoever is hired be in a better position to succeed since the leadership and support from the top will be there. Not sure if that's been the case for the last 15 years or more.
totally agree with this. in fact, i'll go one step further and say it WAS/IS the biggest issue with how we've done this in the past. we've had a ton of turnover at president, chancellor, AD and in the athletic dept in general....and pretty much at every transition, the next guy/gal got the can kicked to 'em. and this is the first group that seems to have picked the damn thing up and thrown it in the garbage.

will it work out? i don't know...but i at least like how this group has started.

can you imagine being part of the old guard right now? donors/boosters cut off.....media...cut off.............

ish has changed in the last 72ish hours. the trick is making it stick.

Is Bob Stoops anyone's ideal candidate?

I could see him being a major letdown. Make him one of the highest paid coaches in the country only to find out the game has passed him by.

I'm not sure how we got to big game bob, but I think he would be great. I've heard people say he is a defensive guy, but while at OU they put up a ton of points.

If he still has the fire, he would be an absolute home run. If he is going through the motions in his old age, hard pass.

The biggest thing I want to see,although there’s plenty of other more obvious things, from our new HC is to have that killer instinct on the field. Oh UT is up by 30 in the 4th with the backups in? So what, the backups are actually playing the game rather than handing the ball off, getting zero experience.

I know we are suppose to hate Saban around here, but I really admire this about him. He’s even said it many times, “we play like there’s no score board”. This was one of CBJ major faults. We would get up on some very good teams in the first Q and try to ride the game out, shutting down what was clearly working. Then the defense would be gassed by the 4th from our O going 3 and out all game, then everyone(including VN)would dog the defense.

Bottom line, if you are a coach that doesn’t keep going then it’s a dead give away that you aren’t the answer. I’ve never seen(atleast in recent times) a championship style coach who played it safe.
Doug Pedersen?

I've said it and was questioned for it but the dude isn't the defensive guru he was made out to be. He was a product of the players he purchased. He'll flame out now that he's been exposed.
prolly.

we got what we got b/c of the situation in 2017, and as any fanbase would do, we 'found' things to gravitate towards, and plotted a path to success with Pruitt.

we'll do the same with whoever's next. we did it with butch. i don't recall doing it with Dooley, i did call that as soon as the press conference was over...lol.

and i was, and am, still all in on kiffin. man if he'd of just stayed.

Is Bob Stoops anyone's ideal candidate?

I could see him being a major letdown. Make him one of the highest paid coaches in the country only to find out the game has passed him by.
Mac Brown is doing well and Stoops used to beat him on the regular. Plus he's only been away 3 seasons. I think he'd bring a hell of a staff with a bright, young offensive mind as OC to hand the reins over to in 4 or 5 years.

Nobody is defending Pruitt for anything he did here. But saying he wasn’t regarded as a great DC is stupid. You can go back to 2017 and read everything that was written about him then and see for yourselves. You can also look at FSU, Ga, and Bama’s defense and see that he improved all three. You can say he’s an awful HC, he is. But he was regarded as elite. Cole Cubelic referred to him as the greatest defensive mind in the game. Not sure how we got here other than you’re wanting to turn our program over to another unproven coordinator who is basically the same as Pruitt, a coordinator at an elite football program coaching 5 stars, but who is a better person.

This matters a lot in the long run imo

Reactions: Volator and RiotVol
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back