Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the Saban tree really that good? In terms of coaches he actually groomed from start to finish to be a HC?

Smart walked into an easy situation and rumored that he has been very sloppy with The Process. He has made some really bad Hc decisions in game.

Pruitt was sloppy with The Process.

Dooley sucked

Muschamp failed twice as a HC

McElwain failed at Florida but been better in small stage

Gase sucks.

Napier - so far so good but he also is a mix of Dabo/Saban

Daboll is really Belicheck as he was only Saban for a year.

Tucker isn’t really a Saban protege. He has influences from multiple coaches.

Kiffin was already really good and just went there to rehabilitate his image.

Sark -see Kiffin

BOB will be same as Sark and Kiffin

He is really good at rehabilitation of coaches with negative backgrounds but the two guys he really has groomed from bottom up are Pruitt and Smart who have been incredibly sloppy and appear to be not so good in game as HC.

Hubbs said, "This search is going to be difficult to cover seeing as Danny White is pretty much working alone. He is using Parker Group."

Same group that helped them find the AD, I honestly think we should all just chill as every candidate comes up. Who we think he is going to hire likely won't be it.
Leaks will come from the camp that will be losing their coach before we here about it. Same applies to coaches being interviewed.

So what would be an expectation for an amount to offer Campbell?

He makes 3.5m. In the normal world, for a great job not in shambles, maybe he takes it for 4.5-5m. At UT, we are probably thinking of a premium amount to pay, so let's say we go in thinking 5.5-6m. Imo that gets turned down in a heartbeat. If we want Campbell, I mean really want him, we need to go nuts and offer 8-8.5m. Something crazy.
You forget that TN doesn't have state income tax. Our 3.5 mil is already more than their 3.5 mil. 6 mil probably close to doubles his salary, but the more important point for him is the assistant coaching pool and what he can pay to retain coaches.

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill
By the way was listening to a UCF podcast about Danny White and they pointed out pretty much every hire he made there never leaked out and just suddenly happened. He keeps things close to the vest. So it really is hard to tell.
As a UCF grad I have repeatedly said this on here for 2 days. I fully expect it to be someone that isn't being discussed very much.

Just a couple quick thoughts on Elliott...

His offenses actually have outperformed the talent level at Clemson. We've seen them land a couple top 5 classes here recently, but they haven't had Bama/Georgia level talent as a whole up until now. Sure the offenses have benefited from having fantastic QBs along the way, but they were elite with Kelly Bryant at the spot too.

Here's a summary of year-by-year efficiency rankings from ESPN, together with 247 talent composite numbers. Remember, these are adjusted for pace/SOS, so you can remove those factors from the calculation.

1611421548815.png

A couple quick notes here:
1. Check out the overall efficiency numbers here. It's rare to see overall and offense consistently so high together, because often highly-efficient offenses score quickly, putting more strain on the defense. This is the hallmark of a gimmicky, pace-dependent, offense. It's difficult to pair a solid defense with it, which is how you get the Big XII...

For the record, Kiffin's offenses at Alabama accomplished this as well, but to a much lower degree. While the team's overall metrics were top 5 from 2014-2016, only 2014 featured a top 15 offense, and they declined each year, winding up at 24 in 2016. Kiffin's offenses at FAU / Mississippi seem more Big 12-ish, culminating in a 5th offense / 112th defense split that is pretty horrifying.

I think this says a lot about a OC's ability to actually scheme in ways other than quickening the pace. That was the task for Kiffin at 'Bama, and he did well, but the offensive efficiency at Clemson since Elliott has been pretty exceptional.

2. Efficiency has become remarkably better and more consistent since moving from Morris to Elliott as the primary play-caller, and he is the primary play-caller, and has been since 2015.

3. Elliott has been pursued for HC and NFL jobs at a different level than Pruitt. While both had/have impressive resumes as coordinators, that speaks to something that reputable organizations see in Elliott that makes them think he's qualified for being more than a coordinator, something other programs certainly didn't see in Pruitt. If Danny White thinks this as well, given his track record I'd feel pretty confident there's something to that.

All-in-all, thanks for sticking it out with another nerd post, it's been a while since I've done one of these. I'd also rather have an accomplished head coach that's overperformed with less (i.e. Campbell for sure...) but I don't see anything here that makes me think Elliott is re-treading the Pruitt road at all.

So is big money making/picking the hire or is it DW? I got the impression by reading some of AV's post he would be the PR guy at the press conference and the pick has already been made.

Reactions: UTfan94
Jeez how any of y'all could get excited over a coordinator is beyond me. Lol

But it's okay. It's not gonna be Tony Elliot unless AV comes back in and retracts his previous statement. I trust it is a current HC.
It's like Goku...the Limitless Potential 🤯

I don't care who they are or where they have been, I'm not happy with handing the reigns to a coordinator and hoping they can navigate the hellscape we find ourselves in and return us to glory.

Under the best of circumstances, we need someone with a wealth of experience to start the return to relevancy. I don't think a coordinator, even a really great one, is ready for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back