Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Panic hires

Dooley Hamilton rushed to get a guy and save a class. Should have rolled with Kippy Brown.

Butch thought he was taking Colorado job then out of the blue.... so obviously something happened to plan A

Pruitt hire was on another level of dysfunction
I disagree on Pruitt

He was an elite DC. He was on multiple championship teams. Was successful outside of Saban. Known as a great recruiter. SEC tested. He may or may not work out but that is a very reasonable HC candidate.

Simple truth is hires are not easy. Go back and look at the Dabo hire, look at bama preSaban, who saw chip Kelly crashing like he has. Hiring is more an Art than science imo

Last edited:
I think Pruitt is leaning on their youth and relationships for recurring purposes while they lack the experience to develop their respective position groups. We have regressed since last year and those coaching shifts along with not hiring an experienced S&C are hurting us imo.

Honestly, I think the thing that has hurt us the most is the lack of spring practice and a real fall camp. COVID has killed our development. That said, I do agree that our assistant coaches haven't done enough to develop their units. I think they've been so caught up in recruiting during the time of COVID that they've ignored their actual coaching duties. And that ultimately falls on Pruitt. He's a first time head coach learning on the job. He's going to make mistakes. When he does. it's going to hurt. But contrary to what Hank said, people are not lining up to take this job, mainly because we're not going to pay them what they want. If we were frugal before, imagine how frugal we'd be now. COVID has drastically affected the money coming in, and put huge buyouts on top of that? We'd be scraping bottom of the barrel.

Hank, I know you remember the Memphis, Wyoming, uk with Dooley, etc games.....
We’ve heard in the past anyone would kill for this job and we got Dooley, Butch and now Pruitt . So, where were the big names in those searches?
Ours is a tough job, no doubt. Built in challenges with the schedule... Recruiting grounds saturated with heavy hitters, you can't count on in state like your rivals can. And honestly, our expectations as fans just don't line up anymore with reality.

We're in the middle of year 3 with the 4th staff in 12 years, coming after one of the biggest debacles in 'coach search' history....

The roster was a mess. The whole adminstration at the University was transitioning...

We were a long way away by the time 2017 ended. Are we closer today? Sure, I guess. I think we all agree the roster "looks" more like an sec roster. But it certainly doesn't perform like one on any consistent basis.

I think losing fitz is a bigger deal than is getting credit. And I think we've had too many misses in the staff in general, and I'd say it's probably fair to say there's still 1 or 2 more still on the payroll.

I still think this off season really hurt us this year... Us in particular, because the 19 class missed that year 1 to year 2 development. Which is huge. And I've already said the same about the QBs. It was critical to this year's success that there be a legit QB competition.

All that to say... This sucks. We're between the proverbial rock and hard place, and the only thing I see that fixes it is a) leadership. Need it. Bad. B) youth movement. Have to get guys ready faster. We need athletes playing. I am sick of tuning in to other games and all I hear is "true freshman with the play"... Outside Baron and Hyatt not sure we're seeing enough. Especially in the defensive secondary. Really surprised at how they look to have regressed. QB and wr go without saying at this point.

Frustrated. And I just don't have a lot of hope right now. Which is another reason a youth movement could help.... Maybe we get a glimpse of what the future looks like? And maybe it doesn't suck?

I don't think Pruitt is in danger this year.

But this year could certainly be the reason he is next year.

For fans, It's just ground hog day all over again.
1603632172935.gif

And media will use that... Click bait should be awesome the next two weeks.... So tread lightly.

The same opportunities still exist for us. Find a way.

Fix it.

Panic hires

Dooley Hamilton rushed to get a guy and save a class. Should have rolled with Kippy Brown.

Butch thought he was taking Colorado job then out of the blue.... so obviously something happened to plan A

Pruitt hire was on another level of dysfunction
So you think the fourth times the charm? What has changed so drastically on the Hill that you think this time they'd make the perfect hire? Especially with finances handicapped by COVID and buyouts?

Moving forward from today, as much as I hate it, I think the next 5 games is Pruitt and Staff Coaching to keep their jobs. DBs, DL have regressed. Playing with 1 inside LB. WR are OK. RBs are a wash. OL is not any better. DL and QB have been well documented. And we recover a fumble and run 3 times and punt. Maybe Chaney needs to step aside.
I really agree with your take positionally and it got me thinking about some of the players Pruitt has brought in to building the program.
-Totally agree with DB’s, watching them not pick or deflect balls that turn into big plays. I am concerned here.
-ILB, concerning but Pruitt recruited quite heavily for that position last year. Whitehead may move back here. Martavius French will be good and I’m confident in Banks and Crouch next year. I know next year isn’t good enough but Pruitt is building depth here, I’m confident.
-OL, concerning coaching/development. I’m happy Pruitt at least come in and got us bigger immediately. When you look at our depth with people like Lampley, Melvin Mcbride, etc getting forgotten about, I believe that’s a sign of building some sort of great depth (or maybe no development but let me be optimistic)
-DL, big O, Baron (OLB) playing well, big recruit in Dom Bailey and more studs coming in next year.

Pruitt sees the holes. He is building it right. Look at the class coming in next year. Look at the freshman class this year (and all of the speed and size sitting on the sideline!). It will get there...we wanted it to be this year but just because we won 8 games in a row doesn’t even mean Pruitt thought they’d be ready to compete this year. I am sick of the handoffs 3rd and 8 while trailing 3 scores though. That is soft and makes me lose some faith.

Last edited:
I think a lot has to do with the assistants, on defense the MLB, olb and dline coaches are not good

On offense he need to promote coach o and chip long
Not sure we have enough sample size to say Felton or Neids are failing at their positions only because they've had such a limited time with their units since taking over. COVID has killed that. DL coach has already been canned. My focus would be more on coaches who have had multiple years with their units, like Weinke and Friend. I will say the OL did a better job yesterday IMO.

I disagree on Pruitt

He was an elite DC. He was on multiple championship teams. Was successful outside of Saban. Known as a great recruiter. SEC tested. He may or may not work out but that is a very reasonable HC candidate.

Simple truth is hires are not easy. Go back and look at the Dani hire, look at bama preSaban, who saw chip Kelly crashing like he has. Hiring is more an Art than science imo
You disagree our AD was dysfunctional during the hiring process in which we fired an AD?

Ok

Reactions: InVOLuntary
So you think the fourth times the charm? What has changed so drastically on the Hill that you think this time they'd make the perfect hire? Especially with finances handicapped by COVID and buyouts?
I don’t think we make a change for the reasons you listed. We have a track record of screwing it up anyway.

We still blaming butch? Lol
There is a little conjunction called “or” between those two statements, which means is it our coaching staff or the older players who were recruited by our former coaching staff, which includes the head coach named Butch. In other words, I’m trying to ask is it the current coaching staff not producing leaders, because they are not leading, or is it because the older players who are in the position to lead aren’t doing it because they don’t have that type of mentality, which is part of the recruiting process finding kids for your program that are born leaders. We usually call those type of people alphas. Clear now?

Based on our play, we should just forfeit because no one has earned playing time. Coaches haven’t earned the right to coach either.

Just pointing out there are 6 other days in the week besides Saturday, the on day that fans to get to see the players. HB just might not be earning his PT yet.

The challenge this staff has immediately is having something they can continue to sell, and counter the negative recruiting surely to follow a performance like that.

And to do that, this staff is going to have to do something they've not done yet..."coach" themselves to a win... Likely 2... That they're not supposed to win. And a large part of that is gonna revolve around getting more "dynamic" offensively...I use the term loosely... But you get the idea.

On defense... Need guys to make plays, period. They've been there to make... We've dropped the ball (literally and figuratively) too many times.

The vision is 3 years old.

Time for a result that matters....

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back