Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did read it. You said if we lose this weekend his seat will get hotter. I don't think it will, even remotely. If our coaches' seats got hotter whenever the goofier segments of the fan base got restless, they'd never have a cool place to sit.
A loss to a mediocre team, and a historic rival would lose him some goodwill and should. After all you're measured against the big three, the others are assumed wins. The seat gets warmer, not to the extent he is fired but pressure mounts. We're not even talking about pressure from the fan base necessarily, his job gets harder if he loses that game.

It's not difficult to understand.

You are completely ignoring the other side of the equation, I believe that JG probably is the best option. The real issue is that this staff hasn't been able to develop a better option.

We haven't had better options on campus to develop until this year. Recruiting is hard, we can't just kidnap better prospects and force them to suit up here.

So the issue was evaluation?

We can't kidnap elite high school QBs and force them to sign up for a team that at the time had gone 4-8 and 5-7 in the previous two years.

Again, 2018 was a half class. 2019 had only a handful of available prospects. Were we supposed to hypnotize Howell? Throw a bag over his head?

Sometimes the athletes just aren't available in a cycle.

We can't kidnap elite high school QBs and force them to sign up for a team that at the time had gone 4-8 and 5-7 in the previous two years.

Again, 2018 was a half class. 2019 had only a handful of available prospects. Were we supposed to hypnotize Howell? Throw a bag over his head?

Sometimes the athletes just aren't available in a cycle.
I get it, just giving you a hard time but we aren't even talking elite. The only real thing I can fault this staff for to this point is evaluations, development and recruiting of the qb position.

Reactions: Smokeytom
I have no problem with JG being the starting qb. I have a problem when he's clearly having a meltdown and we leave him in there until there is no hope for the team at all. It's obvious when he's in that meltdown mode. His eyes have that 1000 yard stare and he starts snowballing errors. Read the room and bench him a series or two so he can get his wits back about him. I get not rolling with a new guy the whole time. How about just some temporary relief?

I have no problem with JG being the starting qb. I have a problem when he's clearly having a meltdown and we leave him in there until there is no hope for the team at all. It's obvious when he's in that meltdown mode. His eyes have that 1000 yard stare and he starts snowballing errors. Read the room and bench him a series or two so he can get his wits back about him. I get not rolling with a new guy the whole time. How about just some temporary relief?

This is where I am. Even sending Shrout or Mauer or whoever in just to hand it off three times. A 3 & out is better than a turnover or pick-6.

Last edited:
This is where I am. Even sending Shrout or Mauer or whoever in just to hand it off three times. A 3 & out is better than a turnover or pick-6.
Yes.
at least against upper tier competition.
just play field position and hope for some mistakes by opponents offense or special teams.

A loss to a mediocre team, and a historic rival would lose him some goodwill and should. After all you're measured against the big three, the others are assumed wins. The seat gets warmer, not to the extent he is fired but pressure mounts. We're not even talking about pressure from the fan base necessarily, his job gets harder if he loses that game.

okey dokey then

Reactions: VOLSONLY
20 years ago this month, I went to my first UT-Bama game. A true freshman started his first game that day, won it, and never looked back.

I get to go to my second UT-Bama game next weekend. I’m patiently hoping I will get to see another true freshman start, win, and never look back.

May history repeat itself.

I went to the same game, it was my birthday. Sat in X4. Remember it well.

Dude, you said who would “you” think be a superstar.
I didn’t say “think”. I was looking for an established college QB coach...dude.

Edit: I did say “hoping for”...which is close enough. Not what I meant, but I see your point.

Last edited:
Reactions: Volsdeep4
So, I’m seeing some folks suggesting the fanbase is not happy with Pruitt and he would be squarely on the hot seat with a loss this weekend.

1) do you feel that way?
2) I’m stunned, if it’s the case, that I’m not leading the charge.

I like Pruitt and think he’s done a good job. I’d rate it about 7/10.
Yep, we’ve got to give him time. This is a five year rebuild. Tennessee was a dumpster fire, the last thing we need right now is a coaching change. We are progressing

No game outside of Vandy should be an assumed win yet. We are at best in the middle of the pack still.

After doing a quick skip through here and seeing the topics being discussed it looks like I picked a good week to go on vacation. Clearwater/Indian Shores area is really really nice.
Wow...that's my ol stompin grounds, and my daughter and her husband just moved back to Clearwater last week. I love and miss it.

You are completely ignoring the other side of the equation, I believe that JG probably is the best option. The real issue is that this staff hasn't been able to develop a better option.
you can blame development if you want, but i think you may have to consider that they're possibly......developed as much as they're gonna get in regards to maurer and shrout.

you can also consider that not having a traditional off season, that included OTA's, full spring, full summer etc...may contribute to the stuntedness of their development.....it was going to be a tall order for Bailey to be ready to compete for the starting job anyways, throw this in the mix, and it's a near impossiblity.

you know, context and all.

or you can go with the hot take "these coaches can't develop a qb" and be done with it.

either way.

Reactions: bpvol
Wow...that's my ol stompin grounds, and my daughter and her husband just moved back to Clearwater last week. I love and miss it.

Family got a house in Redington Beach area for the week. I now understand why my parents like this area a lot. Sadly Delta swirled some jellies this way and sorta ruined our two beach days. But we found other enjoyable things to do.

Ran across this guy while on a bike ride today with my wife.

IMG_20201015_134108.jpg

I think Chaney probably just wants someone who can read a defense and get the f@&$in ball out quickly with accuracy.

We all due deference to the Power T Tape guy and his breakdown, I don’t buy that “the rb was too far inside to make the block on the first fumble, and then too far outside on the next one.” The line played poorly, but our QB should have eaten the sack yardage rather than turning into a turnover machine. Our defense was playing good enough.

And let’s be real: JG is our best option right now because our stud prospect doesn’t have a spring or fall practice under his belt. I’m not convinced that Chaney is in love with a dual threat qb, or else Jimmy Holiday wouldn’t be over with the WRs.

Meanwhile, JG isn’t going to all of the sudden become elite. He is who he is. A guy who will drop an absolute dime into the end zone one series, and then the guy who will panic and make poor reads the next series.

I like the kid. He is a competitor. He has heart. He could have given up on us many times when it’s clear that the fanbase had given up on him. He just isn’t gonna be kid that that’s gonna play a flawless game that is going to put you in a position to beat a team that you have no business beating.
Agree 💯

Hey guys, OT question. What hours on a Monday should one avoid traveling northbound on I75 thru Atlanta?

5am-10pm. Just kidding...kind of.

When I was at UT, I would drive to Atlanta to visit my brother every so often. On Friday’s at 7:00-7:30, there would still be heavy traffic heading up 85.

Edit: I swear I didn’t read OG’s post before this response. Lol.

Reactions: OGbabyaviVol
Hey guys, OT question. What hours on a Monday should one avoid traveling northbound on I75 thru Atlanta?
I live on the Northside, but work on the Southside. I always tried to avoid 3:30 to 6:30pm going home, but as you can see its still heavy downtown right now.Screenshot_20201015-183913_Maps.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: lfvol
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back