Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lets leave it at that lol

Ha ha...it’s funny but for me...A Vol 24 hours/7 days a week...you can throw almost any life scenario at me and my only question will be...is this good or bad for the Vols?.
I have a pretty much one track mind that way about my beloved school and it’s teams.
And, chocolate...oh, and pizza...and very cold beer...and, tight firm young (uh, better stop before this post gets nuked). Go Vols!!!!!!!!!

It’s not just saying the word. It’s him having a whole problem with the entire culture which is why he’s saying it like that or else he would just say “can we not play explicit music”.

I won't disagree with that; different argument for a different day. But the complaint in the article, specifically the headline, was that he used the word.

Tee never gets enough credit, imo. He was more than just a game manager but unfortunately he had to follow Peyton. Ironically, Tee topped him -- did what Peyton never could but Peyton's talent was so great and his personality so big that Tee gets almost forgotten about. Hell, I've heard "Peyton ain't walking through that door" many times and a lot of those times people are erronously under the impression that he was the one who brought home the hardware. Tee may not have thrown the prettiest pass ever but he held the NCAA record for completions, kept drives alive with his feet, had steady leadership and was a straight up baller. He was exactly who we needed for a perfect season and national championship.
Who is more beloved in Pittsburgh?
Matt Cavanaugh or Dan Marino?

One incident with an assistant, raises and eyebrow but this added on to it tells you there's more going on. And tbh, it does NOT matter if he was quoting song lyrics. He is in a professional job, representing a university, and the highest paid employee of the state of South Carolina. A professor, janitor, car salesman, lawyer, police officer etc. (almost any occupation you can imagine) using similar words would be out of a job with no one crying for them and it would be their fault too because they know you can't behave that way at work or even in private without consequences.

Sorry, but you're wrong. I live and teach in the state of SC. Well, I did until I just retired after this year. The discussion has been had by teachers with students a few times that I know of, a couple by me. Music was not the context, but it was similar. That is, when you use the word in public don't be surprised when whites or Latinos think it's ok and use the word also. And in the discussion the word was said, not implied. Seems too logical to me when someone is wanting to have an honest, open conversation.

I grew up in the projects of East Nashville, spent 20 years in the Air Force, and taught high school for 22 years. I've heard the word used many times. I have never heard anyone get offended because a white person simply used the word, until now. Referring to someone by that name or using it in an offensive way? That's a different story.

This is stupid. Seriously. And distracts from what the real race conversation should be about.

Thank the lord for AD Fulmer. We now have one, sensible, message across the department and we are out in front as thought leaders (relative to college sports...), NIL marketing, strong and reasonable COVID message, taking everyones' cookies during the pandemic while everyone else is just trying to catch up. Gotta love it.

CPF GETS IT.

Experienced battle captains don’t panic.

What do you mean? Dabo, like basically every other coach, Owes their wealth, success, and fame to their players... who the majority of are black. For him to insult something in that way crosses a line and he knew Exactly what he was doing and saying. It’s not like it’s uncommon to hear rap music played in a football facility. It’s also not uncommon (you will find this on signs in weight rooms at UT) where it will say something like “please keep music clean” or something. If he didn’t want that kind of music fine. Put a sign up, say turn that shi* off, unplug the damn radio or anything. When he is saying i don’t want to hear “n this n that” that tells me and hopefully his current and future players that he has a problem with the “blackness” of it.

You are glossing over the fact that the player that was playing the music said he didn't say it.

“Former Clemson football player Haamid Williams has accused head coach Dabo Swinney of dropping the n-word.

The former Tigers running back alleged Saturday afternoon that Swinney said, “I don’t want to walk in the locker room with guests/future coaches hearing n*gga this n*gga that in our house” while talking about the music played in the locker room.”

You know the team and coach being in front of the peaceful protest and speaking out has to appeal to recruits. I know that's not important compared to what's going on but the entirety of Tennessee being unified has gotta be doing us alot of favors to these kids..

I'm just glad our school has finally got its sh*t together.

It absolutely is a big deal and think of it with our history of being pioneers.... condredge, pat, now Pruitt basically leading the charge of SEC coaches marching with his players. It’s really amazing and I’m very proud of him for it. Especially with the amount of African Americans we have on staff. Now AJ being the head S/C coach.

I'll just go ahead and admit this makes me nervous thinking I might offend someone by saying it and might offend someone else by not saying it. You just don't know what to do now. Guess I may be safe since I do not ever say that because I find it offensive, and I don't listen to rap.... Of course, that probably makes me offensive so still can't win.

I was taught that word has no place in my world. It’s only derogatory regardless. It’s demeaning. There are whole generations that fought for equality and to remove that word as a descriptor. I have respect for those generations of heroes. Those are my people.
You will never hear that word pass my lips nor be allowed in my house.

Just my opinion.

What do you mean? Dabo, like basically every other coach, Owes their wealth, success, and fame to their players... who the majority of are black. For him to insult something in that way crosses a line and he knew Exactly what he was doing and saying. It’s not like it’s uncommon to hear rap music played in a football facility. It’s also not uncommon (you will find this on signs in weight rooms at UT) where it will say something like “please keep music clean” or something. If he didn’t want that kind of music fine. Put a sign up, say turn that shi* off, unplug the damn radio or anything. When he is saying i don’t want to hear “n this n that” that tells me and hopefully his current and future players that he has a problem with the “blackness” of it.
Thanks for explaining, Hank!

Reactions: HankHill
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back