Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
But there are games you 'should' win. And games you shouldn't win. The toss-up games are what define a season. Can't lose the gimmies and call it a success no matter what.
I'd put the gimmies in realistic expectations. It's also realistic to lose a toss up game though. SC beating GA was not a toss up game and neither was GS for us. But let me be clear....I don't want to lose any game ever. Ruins my day until at least Tuesday.

Last edited:
I'm probably not going to mess with the 2021 class until it is signed, sealed, and delivered. Between now and then not only are the ratings and rankings fluid but there's probably some fluidity also in the composition. What I probably will do though is the same analysis for the balance of the roster for the coming season. We have some "under the radar" guys who began to show up last year, Bennett for example. All 3 services had him as a DT. Rivals liked him best as a 5.8 4-star and a #16 position ranking, ESPN also had him as a 4-star (80) and ranked him #35 as a DT, 247 wasn't as high on him, giving him a 86 3-star rating and a DT position ranking of #54. On Kivon's NCAA profile he points out that he's also a basketball player so I think his atleticism is/was probably underrated and why he's now (with our staff and system) beginning to gain some notice as an OLB. He's also a smart kid, a solid student. Anyway, I may get to the rest of the 2020 roster in the next few days.

Thanks for your comment.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with, as I do with all of your posts. I’m sure I’m not the only one that feels this way. Appreciate your contributions!

Tee never gets enough credit, imo. He was more than just a game manager but unfortunately he had to follow Peyton. Ironically, Tee topped him -- did what Peyton never could but Peyton's talent was so great and his personality so big that Tee gets almost forgotten about. Hell, I've heard "Peyton ain't walking through that door" many times and a lot of those times people are erronously under the impression that he was the one who brought home the hardware. Tee may not have thrown the prettiest pass ever but he held the NCAA record for completions, kept drives alive with his feet, had steady leadership and was a straight up baller. He was exactly who we needed for a perfect season and national championship.

Where does this come from? Tee gets a lot of credit. Has markers on campus, statue, street named after him. Kids imitate him, adore him to this day. Kids named after him. He is categorically adored by everyone in Vol Nation. There’s not one person who doesn’t give Tee the credit he deserves. Don’t put pity on Tee’s résumé... he doesn’t deserve that.

Last edited:
I wasn't old enough to really follow and understand vol football until 2005. I missed the glory era
Hope abounds every year. Been following the Vols for over fifty years. Moments of great pride and exhilaration and as they said on ABC Sports the agony of defeat. They become part of you and you do not know how to let go. Welcome belatedly by 15 years to the joy and tears of Big Orange Football.

Hope abounds every year. Been following the Vols for over fifty years. Moments of great pride and exhilaration and as they said on ABC Sports the agony of defeat. They become part of you and you do not know how to let go. Welcome belatedly by 15 years to the joy and tears of Big Orange Football.
Very well said

That explains everything

Every generation has it a bit different. My first memories were the Bowden White teams but I wasn't old enough to really understand football until the Doug Dickey years. CDD had some pretty good teams but my father and grand dad were all about the General's heyday and my Grandfather used to say the Vols would never be as good as the teams from 1938, 1939 and 1940. Then my dad would say 1950 and 1951 were just as good and Johnny Majors 1956 team was great...anyway let's all hope we are on the verge of something great again...but with due respect to those late 30's teams my grand dad was right; we won't see another team go undefeated, untied and unscored on! GBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back