Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once you make a roster, you’re never timed again. How fast you are on the field holds sway. Vontaze Burflict ran a 5.0 and went undrafted. If he wasn’t such a head case he’d have HOF numbers and lifetime financial security.
I didn’t know Burfict went undrafted. That’s crazy.

Reactions: butchna
only if they lose to LSU In the title game.

they still control their own destiny. so if they get punished, it's because they did it to themselves. you had your shot.....not my fault you blew it.
:)
Yeah but they are having to play a game Bama is not, right? Or let's say UGA beats USC...but loses to UF by 1...UF goes to Atlanta, gets beat by lsu again...congrats uga you are in.

Rewards and punishments are all askew.

Edit: I had to google "askew" to make sure that was the correct spelling...go ahead and put askew into the Google machine...easter egg.

Yeah but they are having to play a game Bama is not, right? Or let's say UGA beats USC...but loses to UF by 1...UF goes to Atlanta, gets beat by lsu again...congrats uga you are in.

Edit: I had to google "askew" to make sure that was the correct spelling...go ahead and put askew into the Google machine...easter egg.
bama wouldn't get in, in my system...they didn't win the conf either. LSU or GA would get in. Bama goes to Charlotte or something.

which is another good point....while it may suck for some top ranked team that loses it's conf title game, if there is a silver lining, it would probably help some of these "lesser" bowls as they would seemingly get some opportunities at some marquis teams coming to town every now and then, and it would provide some match ups that we would otherwise not really ever get.

can't tell you that you should be excited about the possiblity of a Ok State/Bama bowl game or whatever, but it's at least more intriguing than Ok St/MSU...........

Vegas would love it....

Google has a sense of humor. Search askew and the page results is "askew". LoL

i will say this, if you do expand the play off, then the most ipmartial way to do it is to ONLY allow conference champions in.

that way your keep the intergrity of the reguluar season and your conf title game.

it should mean something to in win the conf....

SEC, Big10, pac 12, big 12, ACC champs all get in. and then you take the 3 highest ranked conf champions from the group of 5, seed them based on whatever ranking you want to use (i'd advocate for the BCS formula), and go play.

you kill all the birds with one stone. the little guys get included so UCF or Boise or Memphis would get their shot. and you keep the integrity of the regular season/conf titles.

i'd go for that.....and sorry if you're #1 LSU and lose to UGA. you're out. Sorry #2 OSU if you lose to whoever...you're out.

bottom line, you can't have it both ways with this imo. you can't say this team deserves to be in because they won their conf (Utah), and then say but this team deserves to be in because they've looked the best all year (LSU/bama/OSU)....the criteria for paticipation is completely different for both teams, and is inherently not fair.....LSU gets in no matter what happens against UGA.....but Utah can win it's conf title game and get left out, rightfully so mind you..........

I think if the playoffs are expanded it should go to 8 teams. The you have the 5 power 5 conf champs automatically in. For the remaining 3 seeds i think it should be the highest ranked non-power 5 school and 2 at large bids.

I think if the playoffs are expanded it should go to 8 teams. The you have the 5 power 5 conf champs automatically in. For the remaining 3 seeds i think it should be the highest ranked non-power 5 school and 2 at large bids.
i'd make one tweak...2 highest ranked G5 conf winners...and 1 at large....that way if you do have a team like an LSU or OSU that should lose it's conf title game, there's a back door for that team to still get in. i could get on board with that.

lord help us though if both of them lose their title games....lol.

Curious. Were these highly rated by the recruiting services?
So of those listed only 4 were from Missouri and went to Missouri. Elliot, Beckner, DBG, Lock and Richardson were all highly recruited players though. But only Elliot, DBG & Lock are from Missouri.

Ezekiel Elliot - 4 star .9711 from Saint Louis, MO (went to Ohio State)
Terry Beckner - 5 star .9918 from East Saint Louis, IL
Jeremy Maclin - 3 star .8875 (from Saint Louis, MO)
Sheldon Richardson - 4 star .9537 from Visalia, CA
DBG - 5 star .9998 (from Springfield, MO)
Shane Ray - 3 star .8807 from Mission, KS
Drew Lock - 4 star .9553 (from Less Summit, MO
Aldon Smith - 3 star .8514 (from Kansas City, MO)

our all time leader in receiving yards

Just throwing it out there...I’m not surprised by this stat at all..we have always had the receivers that could live up to this kind of stat.i just think personally it was a combination of bad OC’s and a Bad JG during those times.watching him grow under a legendary OC that is known for fixing QB’s,who still believes in all of his abilities is remarkable,no other OC that has ever coached JG did that.Great Work!.Life is wild but very rewarding.

Ezekiel Elliot, Terry Beckner, Jeremy Maclin, Sheldon Richardson and DBG (even though he moved to Springfield) all STL players.

Shane Ray, Drew Lock, Aldon Smith KC
only one that got away was Elliot.

There's an abundance of talent in MO...
There are only 6 "blue-chip" recruits (4 and 5 stars) in the state of Missouri this cycle and they're all leaving the state. St. Louis, just like Memphis and Nashville, gets poached by everyone. Illinois and Texas A&M are out-recruiting Mizzou in their own state. Minnesota is surging and pulling tons of talent from Kansas as is KU.

I think the point, which was his and not mine, stands - Barry Odom is struggling to recruit, and a lot of that is because of Nebraska, Minnesota, Kansas, Iowa, etc getting better while your Tigers are on a 5 game conference losing streak and #12 in the SEC standings.

Also, those players you mentioned were over a span of multiple years. The state of MO does not provide that school with the abundance of quality depth annually that it needs to stay at the top - WHEN all that talent is getting poached. Mizzou needs Nebraska and Kansas, and Iowa boys to do that, while also having those schools not recruit well in Missouri.

How does that even happen? I mean how did nobody notice it, especially how did Cimaglia not notice?...weird stuff.
It makes me wonder if we have been doing it all year and Missouri is the first team to notice or at least scheme against it. I will say that the last kick from Cimaglia looked pretty low. He just looked like he was off on Saturday. Even the FG he made did not look that great.

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill
There are only 6 "blue-chip" recruits (4 and 5 stars) in the state of Missouri this cycle and they're all leaving the state. St. Louis, just like Memphis and Nashville, gets poached by everyone. Illinois and Texas A&M are out-recruiting Mizzou in their own state. Minnesota is surging and pulling tons of talent from Kansas as is KU.

I think the point, which was his and not mine, stands - Barry Odom is struggling to recruit, and a lot of that is because of Nebraska, Minnesota, Kansas, Iowa, etc getting better while your Tigers are on a 5 game conference losing streak and #12 in the SEC standings.

Also, those players you mentioned were over a span of multiple years. The state of MO does not provide that school with the abundance of quality depth annually that it needs to stay at the top - WHEN all that talent is getting poached. Mizzou needs Nebraska and Kansas, and Iowa boys to do that, while also having those schools not recruit well in Missouri.
so, in other words, Missoui is West Kentucky.

We're 8-5 with the bowl win though...

He'll have won 3 more than last year IF we win the bowl game.
One thing we know for sure. We are at least one win better than last year and will finish with a higher winning percentage. I still cannot make myself drop the what might have been with the Georgia State and BYU games, though I am working like heck to let them go.

So Carlin Fils-Aime, Brandon Johnson both chose (as seniors) to redshirt this year. Do we expect both to play here next year or grad transfer?

Spiro Askew?

Reactions: Devo182
I guess I just got a lotta respect for the Utes, having stayed up and watched quite a few games of theirs.

Huntley has a legit argument for best QB in the PAC-12.

75% completion percentage (2nd to Joe Burrow)
2608 yards, 11.2 an attempt (3rd behind Hurts & Tua)
14 TDs just 2 INTs
228 rushing yards with another 5 TDs
187.6 passer rating (5th in the country)

And Moss is having a great season, 1158 yards with 14 TDs at 6.4 a carry, caught another 320 with a TD too.
I am going to say let's see what he can do against a truly elite D like OSU or at least a strong D like LSU or Bama.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back