Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think UT has higher expectations than the football program warrants. We're one of the winningest programs in history and have won national championships under multiple coaches. It wasn't a fluke; it was our tradition. Football is underachieving and has been for a decade. We're not where we need to be or should be as a program, but lowering standards and expectations isn't the path forward. We need to raise performance and accountability to meet them. What happened last season was unfortunate, but what happened the first two games of this season is unacceptable. Fix it.

Football is the engine of UT athletics and UT is at its best when football, MBB and WBB are all succeeding. We've seen it and we have the roadmap. We just need to get back to being Tennessee. We all know that's a process... but it can upshift this weekend.
that all sounds good, but there's a reality of "the now" that just is what it is.

we probably aren't going to beat FL.

you can't give up. the next game is not as winnable as this one. then you get MSU. then Bama. could be 2-5 after the Bama game.

things will NOT look good. it won't be any fun in here. and i'd advise all TN fans to stay off social media idefinitely at at that point, and don't watch anything to do wtih college football on ESPN....

but......you get 5 games left. all winnable....what if you win them? and you FINISH 7-5? what if you go 4-1?

i absolutely hate putting the cart before the horse here, and really hate harkening back to a season that's so far removed, it really can't matter...................but that 88 team started 0-6. they were AWFUL. and went on to win 5 straight to finish the season and won the SEC the next season.

don't see that kind of turn around next year obviously....but we literally have to take this one game at a time at this point.

there's still a lot out in front for us with only having 3 games played so far.

if there was ever a time to not get caught looking ahead, especially when things seem as dire as they do today, it's right now.

there is simply no choice to but block the noise, and only worry about the next game.

Canales loved Knoxville and UT. He considered it a privilege to coach here and gave much of his time to helping others in the community as well as the players. Wish others who have better resumes cared as much as he did.
Thanks mike. Hope all is well in el paso

Fake jet sweep, hand off to Gray and let him run it to the house!

BlindEuphoricBrahmanbull-size_restricted.gif

Ugh. This conversation has me circling back to the idea that we're just stuck with no way out. Pruitt absolutely needed those GSU and BYU games. Absolutely had to have a bowl appearance this year to keep things moving forward. 1-7 is very realistic and terrifying, because Pruitt will look like a stone cold loser to everyone in America.

Not sure where we would go from there. Roster would be only slightly better in 2020, especially if HB isn't the stud everyone thinks he is. Then we miss another bowl game, the roster is in atrocious shape, and the Dave Doerens of the world don't even return Fulmer's phone calls.

I think we finish better than 1-7 in conference this year. We didn't see the Auburn or Kentucky wins coming last year but we managed to get them. I think we'll steal some games we aren't expecting. I don't know if we get to a bowl or not as 4-4 in conference + the UAB game is an awfully tall order but the season isn't over.

The best sign to me in the BYU game was it was obvious the team hadn't quit. If they can keep pushing, some positive things will happen and maybe we'll end the season with some momentum. I'm discouraged too but let's at least let the season play out before giving up on Pruitt.

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill
Bruin, I think you need to look at Ron's body of work. We can all find posts of our own that we made in the heat of the moment.

Pretty hypocritical to call posters out for being negative when one has done it himself. Perhaps the better route is to just say “I don’t blame anyone for being negative with all we have seen around here”

Instead of the high and mighty hypocritical bs

Reactions: Jack Burton
They shouldn’t do anything.

Shoe on the other foot (pun intended) I’d argue like crazy against Tennessee punishing our player. He looked like he thought about it then realized his poor decision.

We’ve seen worse, it’s a non story to me.
Disagree. No place for that in sports. I know it happens all the time, but video evidence means you should absolutely punish him.

Reactions: engineerVOL
This weekend is about confidence and hope moving forward.

Losing the first 2 weeks shook any confidence and hope that everyone had.

Winning this weekend makes us able to say with some confidence that Georgia State was a fluke and a valuable lesson learned by everyone in the program. Winning this weekend makes us able to say that we should have beaten BYU but didn't finish the job and it looks like BYU isn't a horrible team either. Winning this weekend shows that apart from significant injuries that UT can play with or beat anyone left on the schedule not named Georgia or Alabama. The bowl berth is still a very real possibility.

Losing this weekend potentially saps any confidence and hope left and it makes a 1-7 start or a 2-10 finish seem very realistic.

This program needs something to happen to help it believe again in what's ahead. While I don't think it's wise to say a coach is defined by a single game, the truth is the start of this season has somewhat backed Pruitt into a corner and this game may end up being a career defining game for him as Tennessee's coach. Win the game and I think the bowl berth does happen. Lose the game and I don't see it.

I'm hoping for hope.

I'm just not confident I'll get it.

In case you haven't noticed, we're getting top players. Ramel Keyton is on this roster, Eric Gray is on this roster. Tee Hodge is in the 2020 class as well as a few receivers. We are still players for Rakim Jarrett as well. Lets not forget that BJ Ojulari, Harrison Bailey, and others are in this class also. It isn't like he's recruiting like KY.

The point is, we can't recruit with Bama and GA yet. But we will if we develop the guys we have and start winning. That's what was wrong with the intern. His first 2 classes were strong, but recruits began to see through him because he couldn't win and he couldn't develop guys and as soon as Dobbs, Hurd, Malone, Barnett, Kamara and others left, we went 4-8 because there was no building happening. There was no development taking place, and the recruits new it and wouldn't come here.

I don't believe that will happen under Pruitt. I believe this is a staff that builds a program by developing players and having them ready to play. That is why Clemson is where they are. They recruited in the top 15, not top 5, but they built that program by developing their players and recruiting quality players at key positions. Now they are able to recruit top 5.

Dude, other posters follow UT, too. No need to be snotty and condescending to people who're just as invested and know just as much as you-- maybe even more.

I can't believe y'all are letting Kingston ruin this thread for a second day in a row. On Florida week. I'm out guys. Let me know when its safe to come back. I ain't got no time for trolling today.
Bass, just read the thread like I do. Search for the word "others", and then you only have to look at posts with at least 5 likes. No one likes the troll posts, so you don't see them. You guys post so much, it helps make a Reader's Digest version of the thread.

Reactions: JP_UT_O&W
Agreed Kingston’s convos should be moved to the “I gave Jeremy Pruitt less than 2 years and that’s all I talk about” Thread.
well, let's see, you got Kingston, Bruin and Hank dominating the thread the past few days...

conincidence?

lol.

hank pumping up CBJ...Kingston passive aggressively firing pruitt...and Bruin calling folks hypocrites.

can't wait til the game thread gets going saturday afternoon!!!!
giphy.gif

You can have some of mine, I don't use them.

diregard if you have me on ignore
You’d need to smoke less green if you used that function. Best feature on the site. Evenmoreso on VQ, I have maybe 50% of the posters on ignore over there.

Pretty hypocritical to call posters out for being negative when one has done it himself. Perhaps the better route is to just say “I don’t blame anyone for being negative with all we have seen around here”

Instead of the high and mighty hypocritical bs
So, you don't want people to express their own opinions? I try to treat each poster reasonably, though there are a few that really try my patience. Each post has its own merits, but you cannot tell me you have not made posts that you looked back upon and did not have some regret about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back