Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
UT agreed to all of those contracts and the coaches did not have to take cuts. It is a bad look for some, but not every coach is equal. Most coaches spend years sacrificing working 80 hours a week as GAs, analysts and QCs for very little pay. When they finally get in a good spot, I am sure it is hard to take a cut.

How many of us would volunteer for a pay cut, if we were under contract at our employer. Especially if we worked in a field with high turnover. This is a bad look for some, but not many people will sign up for a pay cut.
Well, if I was making seven figures, for the good my employer, I would consider taking it down to 850k for one year.

I see it the other way. If CP would play the future players like HB for the rest of the season I could take a 1-3 this year. That would mean HB and several others would get some valuable playing time and experience for next year. Now if CP is going continue with status quo and send JG back out there then yeah close up the season. Would love to see HB and the other young players get 4 games of experience even if it may mean winning only one.
You forgot to @ @InVOLuntary

Most assistant coaches sign UT's boilerplate assistant's contract, which does have double buyout clauses. Coordinators and higher-profile hires generally have clauses added-- like no (or significantly reduced) buyout owed to UT if they leave for an NFL job or to accept a HC position at an FBS school. That's standard for many programs. It's less expensive to waive buyouts than to fire coaches we want to move on.

UT faces a lot of pressure with higher-level contracts because agents have leverage to negotiate hard. UT's revolving door reputation means any high-profile hire is going to make demands that would have ended negotiations in the past. UT is no longer in a position to walk away from a guy the HC or AD really wants-- and agents use it against us. Removing the duty to mitigate clause from a HC's contract shows the level of concessions-- and the amount UT often has to overpay-- to get a high-profile guy signed.
And by agents, you mean Jimmy Sexton.

Problem is the toxicity surrounding the program. If we lose all but Vandy in embarrassing fashion as one would suspect, Volnation will have pitchforks in hand ready to fire him. And, God forbid we lose to Vandy (I take nothing for granted with this Pruitt lead team). If the season gets cancelled the talk of running him out of town will die down a bit.

So we want the talk of running CP to cool ? LOL I get what your saying just would love to see HB get some SEC games under his belt along with the other young players. CP rallied the troops last year maybe he can again this years. You could also look at this way, what if he pulls some upsets over AU, or AM or UF? The talk would cool off for CP but personally I believe the damage is done. If he comes out next season, which seems to be what we talk about most in here NEXT YEAR, there will be a lot of pressure on CF to do something. I just lost a lot of respect for CP as HC.

Is it? VQ have defended Chaney on numerous occasions. Price even went as far as to imply that Chaney was untouchable. Believe the words were, “he isn’t going anywhere.”
VFL’s and others like Chaney. He was successful here before and believe he can be again. I don’t believe the “Chaney doesn’t like Bailey.” Pruitt dictates who plays QB and he always plays JG. People are coming up with reasons why we aren’t playing Harrison and it is mostly because of our head coach.

You're absolutely clueless if you don't believe kids are being developed under CJP.
It hasn't translated to the field this year. Especially at the qb, rb, o line, and honestly pretty much the entire defense. I'm not saying he isn't developing but there is a major disconnect that is keeping it from coming through in play.

Problem is the toxicity surrounding the program. If we lose all but Vandy in embarrassing fashion as one would suspect, Volnation will have pitchforks in hand ready to fire him. And, God forbid we lose to Vandy (I take nothing for granted with this Pruitt lead team). If the season gets cancelled the talk of running him out of town will die down a bit.
If the season is canceled that means no basketball. That means we will dwell on how much we hate Pruitt for months. IMO it will be worse.

Most assistant coaches sign UT's boilerplate assistant's contract, which does have double buyout clauses. Coordinators and higher-profile hires generally have clauses added-- like no (or significantly reduced) buyout owed to UT if they leave for an NFL job or to accept a HC position at an FBS school. That's standard for many programs. It's less expensive to waive buyouts than to fire coaches we want to move on.

UT faces a lot of pressure with higher-level contracts because agents have leverage to negotiate hard. UT's revolving door reputation means any high-profile hire is going to make demands that would have ended negotiations in the past. UT is no longer in a position to walk away from a guy the HC or AD really wants-- and agents use it against us. Removing the duty to mitigate clause from a HC's contract shows the level of concessions-- and the amount UT often has to overpay-- to get a high-profile guy signed.

Agree completely. Which, once again, points to making the elite hire immediately and locking in. Or else they can keep doing what they have been doing for a dozen years and that hole will get deeper and deeper. Which will be the end of Vol football as we once knew and loved it. We are nearing the point of no return as it is. JMO.

If the season is canceled that means no basketball. That means we will dwell on how much we hate Pruitt for months. IMO it will be worse.
I think that last statement will be true for you and I and those of us here. But for the vast majority of fans the season would be incomplete and it would be about the bigger story, nation wide shutdown of football.

His job will be damn near impossible next year though. I think there will be turnover of some of the staff and the uncertainty around his long term future here will keep him from putting together the quality staff he needs. It's pretty obvious to you and I he's most likely a lame duck, what isn't obvious to most is the gravity of the covid situation as it relates to athletics and the implications beyond this season.

Reactions: OrangenSC
So we want the talk of running CP to cool ? LOL I get what your saying just would love to see HB get some SEC games under his belt along with the other young players. CP rallied the troops last year maybe he can again this years. You could also look at this way, what if he pulls some upsets over AU, or AM or UF? The talk would cool off for CP but personally I believe the damage is done. If he comes out next season, which seems to be what we talk about most in here NEXT YEAR, there will be a lot of pressure on CF to do something. I just lost a lot of respect for CP as HC.
But who's to say Bailey shines? What if he looks like JG, Mauer, Strout. Other coaches will use that and point to player development. I agree I would love to see this team turn it around. I just don't see it. Pruitt is here whether we like it or not, at least through 21. May as well concentrate on recruiting. The best way to do that is not having to overcome weekly drudgings on the field. It's ashame but that's the probably the best thing in regards to recruiting. The coaches would be free to go 100% recruit mode.

But who's to say Bailey shines? What if he looks like JG, Mauer, Strout. Other coaches will use that and point to player development. I agree I would love to see this team turn it around. I just don't see it. Pruitt is here whether we like it or not, at least through 21. May as well concentrate on recruiting. The best way to do that is not having to overcome weekly drudgings on the field. It's ashame but that's the probably the best thing in regards to recruiting. The coaches would be free to go 100% recruit mode.
All the emotional fan stock in landing Bailey and we give up on him before he gets a chance? Such a Tennessee thing. 😏

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back