Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
well, by all accounts, coaches and some media, JG apparently really looked the part all off season. i don't think there were any indications that he would perform the way he has in game situaitons.

defensively, i think everybody had questions about the DL, and was hopeful about LB...i don't think anyone saw the Def Backfield taking a step back like it has.

i have no explanation for JG, except to say that at this point it has to be a menal thing with him.....there's really no reason for him to be performing like he is.

for the def backfield, it appears they've gone more zone and less man, and maybe that was a reaction to not have BT the first few games? but i think that's been part of AT's problem. as for Warrior...kinda like JG, i don't see any real reason why he isn't better at this point, unless it's just a mental thing with him too.

the OL has improved. and i like the RB's...Gray has been a nice shot in the arm. i think the WR's have played "better" when given the opportunity, seeing some more YAC in some cases.

and i think the LB's for hte most part have been ok. hard not to like HT, and with Bituli back in, that helps. Taylor gets a lot of double teams, and no one else has been able to take advantage from a pass rush standpoint.

but mostly, it's about what we've done to ourselves...turnovers, penalties, and just dumb mistakes...and at really pivotal times during a game.....

I appreciate the response. I'd like an honest answer from a coach. I know that's not going to happen.

Reactions: jakez4ut
i think we can win 4 of those games....sure....won't be surprised if we don't.

MSU and Mizzou...toughest outside ga and bama. MSU @ home would be nice if we're talking splitting the two....and we get a bye before Mizzou...so who knows.

everything looks harder today than it did a month ago. i know that much.
I agree. But everyone wants this staff to work out and for this thing to keep rolling, so let’s set some benchmarks.

I think we’re being EXTREMELY charitable by setting aside the finish to last year and Georgia State and BYU this year. But that’s what everyone wants to do so let’s do it.

Let’s set our benchmark for the rest of the season - like the first 4 games didn’t even happen.

We are, on paper, far less talented than Alabama and Georgia. Great coaches can’t bridge that gap. Let’s discard them.

We are more talented than Vanderbilt and UAB. If you lose those games you were out coached.

There are four games in which you could argue we have comparable talent to the opponent. (By recruiting measure we are MORE talented but I digress.) Mississippi State, South Carolina, Kentucky and Missouri. I’m asking them to get ONE of these games. Just one. A good coaching staff splits 50/50 games at the very least. I’m not even asking them to be good! Steal one out of four.

Can we all agree to the above and to these minimum benchmarks going forward? There should be three wins remaining on the schedule at minimum. Is that fair? Can we all agree anything less would be a failure (on top of other failure we’ve decided to ignore for now)?

Reactions: Jack Burton
I'd go Ridley and Gordon this week and most weeks.

I have Godwin and Thielen in horrible match ups, had to dump AB last week. I had picked up Tyrell Williams but just dropped him for Sterling Shephard. We shall see how that turns out.

I think I have started Gordon every week, but last week was my first time to start Ridley and of course he only got 1 target ha. Shepard should be a good play this week, but I think Golden Taint comes back next week and may cut into some of his share unless they just pass more with Jones while Barkley is out.

Reactions: bignewt
My sentiments exactly. Discard Alabama and Georgia. Those ain’t happening.

You all want forward thinking? Let’s do it. You have to find three wins out of UAB, Vandy, Kentucky, Missouri, Mississippi State and South Carolina. If they don’t there is no hope.

You have to beat UAB at home.
Can’t lose to Ga State and UAB at home this year.
Basically you have to win 2 SEC games.
If you can’t do that, you have no business coaching here.

I really hope they figure it out, insert a new QB create some buzz and energy and at least win 4 games.

I don’t think there’s anyway the positives outweigh the negatives if you win less than 4 games.
Well I'm with you on hoping it comes together at QB.
But I don't need the "positives to outweigh the negatives" to see what I'm talking about.

It's sad, I truly and honestly don't know if we're discussing 2 different things or if you just steered the direction back to where you want it to stay.
And I hate feeling that way.

Soooo....If it was me👀 im getting rid of rocker and calling Dan Brooks🤷🏽‍♂️😁 it’s time these boys get their full potential showing on the field.Fulmer could pull that I think being AD.

Reactions: Smyrna ATL Vol
Well I'm with you on hoping it comes together at QB.
But I don't need the "positives to outweigh the negatives" to see what I'm talking about.

It's sad, I truly and honestly don't know if we're discussing 2 different things or if you just steered the direction back to where you want it to stay.
And I hate feeling that way.
agreed, and i know he took flack for it, but i think what you're talking bout, and what CJP said about being 100x better are probably in the same ball park.....

everybody wants the result to match THAT perception though, right? lol.

Reactions: chargervol

The original premise of my post was to ask those who watched this team up close this fall (coaches, former players, etc.) and came away thinking they were a 7 or 8-win team what it is they saw vs. what they're seeing now.

I meant the post to be more rhetorical as I never really expected an answer, but it obviously wasn't taken that way. Sorry for the confusion.

agreed, and i know he took flack for it, but i think what you're talking bout, and what CJP said about being 100x better are probably in the same ball park.....

everybody wants the result to match THAT perception though, right? lol.
We’re so much better on the offensive line, I see regression everywhere else. Would you agree with that?

Here are the current team stats of our six most winnable games left on the schedule

Mississippi State
56th passing defense 214 ypg
64th rushing defense 143 ypg
106th passing offense 185 ypg
30th in rushing offense 228 ypg

South Carolina
116th passing defense 290 ypg
67th rushing defense 145 ypg
62nd passing offense 250 ypg
47th rushing offense 193 ypg

UAB
27th passing defense 185 ypg
26th rushing defense 95 ypg
63rd passing offense 248 ypg
78th rushing offense 153 ypg

Missouri
5th passing defense 135 ypg
27th rushing defense 95.7 ypg
55th passing offense 260 ypg
44th rushing offense 199 ypg

Kentucky
85th passing defense 245 ypg
75th rushing defense 152 ypg
70th passing offense 241 ypg
59th rushing offense 177 ypg

Vanderbilt
128th passing defense 361 ypg
95th rushing defense 178 ypg
61st passing offense 252 ypg
113th rushing offense 113 ypg

And here are Tennessee's current team stats

37th passing defense 190 ypg
71st rushing defense 149 ypg
97th passing offense 200 ypg
76th rushing offense 154 ypg

One of the keys of winning as many games as possible this season is going to hinge on us getting better at throwing the football.

Two things give me hope of an upset.
1. Our roster is full of players from Georgia and this is a pride thing.
2. UGA always loses inexplicably to someone. Hope we are that someone.

Two weeks to fix issues and prepare. The staff could earn a lot of clout with an upset or a spirited effort.

Not under Kirby...hasn't lost to a non-top 15 team in the last two seasons. :(

Reactions: rekinhavoc
I agree. But everyone wants this staff to work out and for this thing to keep rolling, so let’s set some benchmarks.

I think we’re being EXTREMELY charitable by setting aside the finish to last year and Georgia State and BYU this year. But that’s what everyone wants to do so let’s do it.

Let’s set our benchmark for the rest of the season - like the first 4 games didn’t even happen.

We are, on paper, far less talented than Alabama and Georgia. Great coaches can’t bridge that gap. Let’s discard them.

We are more talented than Vanderbilt and UAB. If you lose those games you were out coached.

There are four games in which you could argue we have comparable talent to the opponent. (By recruiting measure we are MORE talented but I digress.) Mississippi State, South Carolina, Kentucky and Missouri. I’m asking them to get ONE of these games. Just one. A good coaching staff splits 50/50 games at the very least. I’m not even asking them to be good! Steal one out of four.

Can we all agree to the above and to these minimum benchmarks going forward? There should be three wins remaining on the schedule at minimum. Is that fair? Can we all agree anything less would be a failure (on top of other failure we’ve decided to ignore for now)?
2 things.

1. the reason anyone should want, or me specifically wants, this staff to work out is because it'd be the best thing for this program. (if it comes to it, there's a point where that would no longer the case, i don't think we're there....but unless something changes, we're on that path...i for one hope it changes).
2. no one is setting anything aside. you say everbody wants that, well from my point of view, there's a select few that are really giddy about rubbing salt in this wound, and seems like they almost hope it continues to fester.........

bottom line, the season ain't over. what's happend, happened. so you have a couple choices....beat the first 4 games in to the dirt, lamenting the coaches at every turn...........or what does it look like to turn this season around and salvage something out of it, and what couuld that be?

i think it's safe to say that anyone's original expectation for this season is shot........

there's just some folks around here that are just a bit too happy about it for my taste.

We’re so much better on the offensive line, I see regression everywhere else. Would you agree with that?
everywhere else? no. RB and WR haven't gotten worse....
LB has just been ok. i don't know they've been worse than last year. can't say they've been 'better' as a group either. i like what i've seen from HT, and i think Banks and Crouch have flashed. getting Bituli back helps. but we're now thinner than we were a week ago.

DL has been about what i expected....i thought they'd take a step back from last year, and they have.....so i guess technically, they've regressed too.

DB/Safety is the only other area that i'd say there's been significant regression....but some of htat may have something to do with BT being out and missing significant time.

but QB and DB...both not as good as last year. DL not as good, but expected it. OL better. RB better. push at best everywhere else.

LB has just been ok. i don't know they've been worse than last year. can't say they've been 'better' as a group either. i like what i've seen from HT, and i think Banks and Crouch have flashed. getting Bituli back helps. but we're now thinner than we were a week ago.

DL has been about what i expected....i thought they'd take a step back from last year, and they have.....so i guess technically, they've regressed too.

DB/Safety is the only other area that i'd say there's been significant regression....but some of htat may have something to do with BT being out and missing significant time.

but QB and DB...both not as good as last year. DL not as good, but expected it. OL better. RB better. push at best everywhere else.

Not having Bryce, TKJr, or Baylen in that secondary was part of them stepping back. Don't care how much talent you got inexperience in 2 of the 4 starters will have a negative impact.

Yeah I think DL, LB, S, CB, QB regressed and WR RB, OL, TE got better.

JG is the biggest problem on the team followed by the DBs and pass rushers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back