Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
He gave up a basketball score at home to a winless team that hasn't scored more than 14 all year, was his main problem.
With all the coaching issues we’re having and the complete melt down over it. People actually want to come in here and take up for Leach. It’s laughable at best.

But but does Pruitt play QB???

McKenzie, Tuttle, Kongbo, and Phillips were all considered big time recruits on the DL. It’s what Butch did with them when they got here that gets the criticism.
And they were also injury riddled. Tough breaks all the way around, though losing Lawson and Jancek were big. But great recruits everyone wanted.

Reactions: Dudley Smith
With all the coaching issues we’re having and the complete melt down over it. People actually want to come in here and take up for Leach. It’s laughable at best.

But but does Pruitt play QB???
I just brought it up because the invincible pirate was the first of the 12 subject changes when you asked for the list and somehow the subject changed again first thing this morning. Also not unfunny that ARgh Matey's homeboys are calling for him to be fired and "hure Urbie!"

Reactions: SLICKYINC
I just brought it up because the invincible pirate was the first of the 12 subject changes when you asked for the list and somehow the subject changed again first thing this morning. Also not unfunny that ARgh Matey's homeboys are calling for him to be fired and "hure Urbie!"
I just find it funny that people think Leach would be successful in this league. To the point where they are taking up for him about that lose last night. Like I’ve said, his teams can’t play defense and don’t care how many stats people trot out.

I have a family member on a ACC staff that employs a former UT coach. That former coach still has relationships in Knoxville and the word I heard before the season started is the majority of the holdovers from Butch hate Pruitt and don’t trust him. I think it’s pretty clear to see the ones going through the motions.

On the flip side, the freshman love him and will run through a wall. But having upper class man second guessing coaching and lacking trust is a recipe for split locker room disaster.

It’s going to be a long fall and until we flush out the duds/dead weight things aren’t going to get better.

As hard as it is going to be to watch, I’m onboard of giving Pruitt another year to get more of his guys in. Now that is with assumption recruiting doesn’t totally tank. At that point you have to make a tough decision.

Been trying to tell you this. Parents of older guys think Pruitt doesn’t care about them or their kids and they hate him. He has for the most part ignored them. This is what he gets. Time will tell if he’s right and builds this thing but he really cares about HIS recruits. Also, some of the parents are even life long Tennessee fans. I was hoping it was just a few sour grapes but it’s obvious it is not. He needs to play his guys which for the most part he is BUT not enough of them at this point to field a team. I have settled down some and realize he needs to make it and if he does, it’s going to have to be thru recruiting prowess. Hope he can get em to come play here. If they come, they will play.

So I’m reading the stories today by the national writers and trying to match up which faction in our program they are linked to. I’m guessing Staples is probably tied in with Fulmer and Anderson. I think Thamel is possibly linked to the Haslam camp.

The all-time hit drama of Tennessee football, behind the scenes, has been renewed for another run. I didn't mean for hit to be a pun but Thamel has published a scathing hit piece on Fulmer on Yahoo.

Wow. I'm for sure not going to be able to tune out now. This reminds me of the TV show "Dallas", except this is real life and to some extent we are all in this one. jmo.
Ok so you peaked my interest. I read the Staples piece... Abd just finished thamels...

Oof.

Yep.. Two totally different narratives...

Reactions: ChattaTNVol
He gave up a basketball score at home to a winless team that hasn't scored more than 14 all year, was his main problem.

Well he's not a defensive coach and he doesn't have the resources at WSU to hire a good proven Defensive Coordinator. The best DC he has had there was Alex Grinch and he was a cheap taking a chance on an up and comer hire and then couldn't afford to keep him once he had made a name for himself.

So I’m reading the stories today by the national writers and trying to match up which faction in our program they are linked to. I’m guessing Staples is probably tied in with Fulmer and Anderson. I think Thamel is possibly linked to the Haslam camp.

The all-time hit drama of Tennessee football, behind the scenes, has been renewed for another run. I didn't mean for hit to be a pun but Thamel has published a scathing hit piece on Fulmer on Yahoo.

Wow. I'm for sure not going to be able to tune out now. This reminds me of the TV show "Dallas", except this is real life and to some extent we are all in this one. jmo.

Thamel has been torching us at the bidding of Urban Meyer since wrote that hit piece on the Orange Oride back in 2009 when he was writing for the New York Times. He also wrote one saying what a terrible AD hire Fulmer was back when it happened, and of course puff pieces on Schiano and Currie. Because there is supposedly an alliance between Meyer and Haslam, one would assume that’s where the Thamel piece came from. He also wrote one ripping Jim Harbaugh this weekend.

Staples lived in Knoxville a few years and seems to have genuine affection for the Tennessee fan base. Not sure if he is specifically tied to Fulmer.

Been trying to tell you this. Parents of older guys think Pruitt doesn’t care about them or their kids and they hate him. He has for the most part ignored them. This is what he gets. Time will tell if he’s right and builds this thing but he really cares about HIS recruits. Also, some of the parents are even life long Tennessee fans. I was hoping it was just a few sour grapes but it’s obvious it is not. He needs to play his guys which for the most part he is BUT not enough of them at this point to field a team. I have settled down some and realize he needs to make it and if he does, it’s going to have to be thru recruiting prowess. Hope he can get em to come play here. If they come, they will play.
I am.sure these parents feel that their kids should play. A lot of the upperclassmen have no business with a Power 5 offer. The fact that they love TN is good, but that does not mean that they are good enough to play for TN.

Reactions: UTSuave’
No i don’t and it’s kiffins boy first of all*. But you’re making accusations about players not buying it and not playing hard. You also said it’s clear.

So clear it up for me. Name those specific players and situations you are seeing that. Don’t tuck tail now.

How bout I’ve heard them with my own ears say it. Also, he really didn’t care to court them or their parents. Actually, I can see where he’s right for the most part to move on quickly past them but he can’t afford to get rid of even 30 players even if they have azz it.

Reactions: AppStVol
What they can do immediately is try to develop a QB. They have an extra week to see who's the best option and get him ready. Make him the leader. Use the extra time to figure out their best 22 and stop the shuffling that creates confusion and misalignments. Let guys settle into their positions and get a rhythm going. Stop moving the young guys around like chess pieces-- it's hard enough to get one position right.

Then they can let Pruitt focus on the D with Ansley and bring Tee and/or Chaney out of the booth to get in offensive guys' faces on the sideline. Let Tee and Chaney help the QB and WRs and hold guys accountable face-to-face. Show some passion and don't let the guys get down and give up. Find leaders, let the players own their positions, make guys accountable, divide and conquer, and see if that helps. We have big problems, so condense it to manageable chunks and solve what we can. JMO.

That all should've been done in the off-season.

Does anyone know if the back up QBs get the same number of reps with the first team as JG? Just wondering because this was one of CJP philosophical approaches during his introduction...everyone gets the same reps and the goal was to put the best players on the field. I just cannot fathom WTH JG is showing in practice to separate himself so much more from the others. There has to be underlying issues and/or ulterior motives in the reluctancy to make a QB change. 🤔

I'm not huge pro or anti Leach either way, but what's absolutely wild to me is they only have 3 4*s on that team lol. Worst paper talent in the PAC. Average player is rated 82.5, only .4 above Kansas (though Kansas has 1 more 4* than them). Arguably the least paper talent in all of P5 football and yet they won 11 games last year.

It's hard not to be curious what he could do with the natural recruiting advantages here.

As bad as the past 11 years have been, this next part probably will hurt worse. But at this point, it’s the only way. The popular conspiracy theory whispered in college football circles is that this is all a master plan by Fulmer to get himself back on the sideline after he was unceremoniously fired in 2008 — that he is college football’s Count of Monte Cristo. But Fulmer knows better. He knows he must give Pruitt enough time to try to build a roster that can compete in the SEC. That’s Tennessee’s only hope. The reset button won’t work. Tennessee fired Butch Jones less than two years ago. Another firing, no matter how dire the record, would only make matters worse. So much churn in so few years would only scare away recruits who crave a stable place where they can be trained to play in the NFL. Plus, the last thing the Vols need at this point is a Frankenstein roster built by three different administrations. The losses are going to pile up with this team, but at least Tennessee fans can accept that and deal with reality on reality’s terms. At least they can stop hoping that Tennessee will magically improve. Georgia State wasn’t a fluke. It was a statement of fact. BYU wasn’t a miracle upset by the Cougars. BYU merely needed a miracle play to avoid getting upset by Tennessee.
I believe Fulmer is pretty happy with his current job as AD. Just don't see him taking over for Pruitt. That's just the media making sh*t up. I could be wrong but I don't think he'll coach again.

I am.sure these parents feel that their kids should play. A lot of the upperclassmen have no business with a Power 5 offer. The fact that they love TN is good, but that does not mean that they are good enough to play for TN.

I'm sorry you feel that way. I haven't played organized football since I was in high school. I'm almost 64 years old now. Based on what I've seen so far this season I'd like my odds of winning a starting position somewhere on the field or at least being a significant contributor. I have experience as a receiver, cornerback, safety, and on special teams. I've caught TD passes, made interceptions, recovered fumbles, made blocks, made tackles, and I got the hottest girl in the class. I think I've still got something left. Just need that offer.

That all should've been done in the off-season.
This is what concerns me. Through the whole offseason we either didn't identify these major issues or they didn't have a good solution to them. Nor do they seem to have either the ingenuity or risk tolerance to try something outside of the box. Seem to be banging our heads against the wall hoping for different outcomes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back