Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, the compensation is a huge part of it, and if a health issue came up, you bet a player’s union would be all over it. I also agree that the Big Ten didn’t give up millions because they are making a political statement.

I saw the tweet above. Facts are running loose right now, and I bet some other cardiologists have different opinions. Probably more of the fear of the unknown. Not saying one is correct over the other because I’m not a doctor.

But the NBA bubble has worked wonderfully. MLB has not, and there is a pitcher sitting out this year because of the heart issue.

Then why would pro sports gamble like that?

Especially with so much unknown...

Can you explain why the NBA and MLB are in full swing...and college athletic conferences are opting out?

The difference?
All goes back to amateurism. The optics are you can't ask "mere" SAs to bubble and sacrifice, especially when they have no union or PA. But a millionaire employee, sure they can negotiate whatever and make the choice.

Not saying right or wrong, but this is what I believe it is. Presidents worried about optics and/or liability.

Reactions: OrangenSC
All goes back to amateurism. The optics are you can't ask "mere" SAs to bubble and sacrifice, especially when they have no union or PA. But a millionaire employee, sure they can negotiate whatever and make the choice.

Not saying right or wrong, but this is what I believe it is. Presidents worried about optics and/or liability.

Fair enough. Yet, in the end...mere politics is the obstacle..

Reactions: VolsDoc81TX
Give me all the Norse and Pacific Islanders in the trenches.
I'm sure this has been thought of a million times before, but I'm curious if a program has ever seriously invested in training Sumo wrestlers along the OL.

Those guys literally dedicate their entire childhood/young adulthood/adulthood, if good enough, into studying close range aggressive punching and leveraging techniques, having low center of gravity, and pushing others around.

I'm sure this has been thought of a million times before, but I'm curious if a program has ever seriously invested in training Sumo wrestlers along the OL.

Those guys literally dedicate their entire childhood/young adulthood/adulthood, if good enough, into studying close range aggressive punching and leveraging techniques, having low center of gravity, and pushing others around.

And anyone who would wear a thong and topknot HAS to be CRAZY.

NBA drastically reduced any “gamble.” Paid $170 million for a bubble. Players signed a contract and bargained for safety protocols.

I’m talking about the gamble of health concerns. Obviously multiple conferences have the best safety protocols money can buy...

Money buys PT is what you’re saying?

I’m talking about the gamble of health concerns. Obviously multiple conferences have the best safety protocols money can buy...

Money buys PT is what you’re saying?

Yes, money pays for less of a gamble. The bubble has resulted in about 3 straight weeks of no positive tests, so it has severely reduced health concerns.

Reactions: SmokinBob
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back