Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m not questioning Pruitts ability at all! Props to him for being dedicated to his veteran qb but we won’t won’t any big games this year with JG at QB is all I’m saying luckily it’s just one more year.

Sure you are. You are saying it’s a easy choice which QB to play.

if that is true the Pruitt is a damn fool for playing JG and we need to start thinking About our next coach

Reactions: OrangenSC
The White helmet doesn’t work well with the gray or black uniforms.
I don’t really care that much What they wear.
But, if u do it, do it right with an orange helmet.
Yes! I prefer orange and white. But if an alternate gets the players, recruits and some fans excited, then go for it occasionally. Just do it right. I think Pruitt understood this last year with "dem orange britches" and how that fired the team up. But an alternate uniform includes the helmet that goes with the uniform. It won't kill those of us that love our helmet to do without it one game.

Yes! I prefer orange and white. But if an alternate gets the players, recruits and some fans excited, then go for it occasionally. Just do it right. I think Pruitt understood this last year with "dem orange britches" and how that fired the team up. But an alternate uniform includes the helmet that goes with the uniform. It won't kill those of us that love our helmet to do without it one game.

As alternate helmets go, I thought we nailed it with the smokey one. The gray uniforms though... just okay.

I’m with you in that while I prefer orange and white, there’s nothing wrong with an occasional alt. But if you’re gonna do it, it needs to be badass to be worth doing.

And we may need to step out of the stated color palette a bit. The gray and orange together don’t have enough pop. Even if you stick with a primarily gray theme rather than black, it needs some black or at least darker gray elements.

As alternate helmets go, I thought we nailed it with the smokey one. The gray uniforms though... just okay.

I’m with you in that while I prefer orange and white, there’s nothing wrong with an occasional alt. But if you’re gonna do it, it needs to be badass to be worth doing.

And we may need to step out of the stated color palette a bit. The gray and orange together don’t have enough pop. Even if you stick with a primarily gray theme rather than black, it needs some black or at least darker gray elements.
A black, charcoal, smoky gray, white, orange combo with 60% charcoal, 30% orange and 10% black, smoky and white fir accents I would like.....and about 50% would hate. Can't please everyone. Please the players on this.

If I were the boss, I would never change the Vol power t white helmet. I would put on orange britches more often with two white stripes and insist on black cleats but almost aways wear white jerseys. Except against Alabama. Both should be wearing their home colors on the third Saturday in October.

Last edited:
Reactions: VolsDoc81TX
TL:dnr - thoughts on Guarantano

I remember at some point over the years coming to the conclusions that players that talk big at public opportunities seldom deliver. Some of these guys were some of my favorite players. I remember the Iceman saying in an interview one July, I think, that we were going to win the national championship that year. Now I liked Casey but I knew as soon as he said it, based on all the other times I’d heard such talk as a fan, that that made the odds that much higher.

Coach Pat Summit said you don’t do that. Instead you make goals that are achievable along the way to a much better opportunity. The goal she said all throughout her amazing career was never to win a national championship, not once could she remember that ever being a goal, but rather to do all those little things along the way that would put you in a position to compete for a national championship. She said if you make some out-sized goal like winning the national championship before the season even starts and you stumble early on you run the risk of becoming demoralized.

I was one of those that was expecting Guarantano to take the next step this past season. I think it was in an interview during fall camp in response to a question where he said he wanted to be the best quarterback in the SEC that season. I winced just like I winced when Tyler Bray said we were going to win the SEC championship in 2012 and I liked Tyler.

People nowadays tend to appreciate big talkers I think because they tell them what they want to hear, then reality sets in and the big talker crashes and burns and loses all that good will he falsely earned with his fans by talking big. Pride goes before the fall. The heart of a champion requires a tremendous amount of respect and humility. Nothing is going to be handed to you. You have to earn it, bit by bit, and in most instances, the competition will test your metal like nothing you ever experienced before.

Many fans say JG has a ton of physical talent but has an issue between his ears. A few days ago I said I just thought he needed to grow up, to mature a bit. From the very start with us he’s sort of established himself as what I would consider a somewhat selfish person, “self-centered” if you will. I think he has an excellent work ethic so that’s not the problem. I think he’s an exceptionally smart young man and has no issues learning an offense. I think his problem is he thinks it’s too much about him. There have been times when he has played really well so I know he can do it but there’s a lot of times when it’s like he chokes. You don’t choke unless you’re self-conscious. He’s thinking too much about himself. jmo.

Ancient wisdom tells us a man who exalts himself will be humbled and a man who humbles himself will be exalted. In the first reboot of the Star Trek movie series, Bones has a confrontation with Spock after Spock orders Kirk removed from the Enterprise. Bones asks if Spock is making a huge mistake by getting rid of his prized stallion just when they’re headed into a big race. Spock notes that as an interesting metaphor since before the stallion is ready to race at all he must first be broken.

I was thinking about the way we managed JG in the back half of the season last year, in particular the times when he would come off the bench or if he started and got out of control, pulled him for a play or so to let him settle down. I understand why a lot of fans are frustrated with JG. He has yet to take our offense to the next level and while many may think anybody else we have could do better than what we’re witnessing, it doesn’t appear that Pruitt and/or Chaney agree with that assessment. I confess I DO NOT have the confidence that JG will take the next step but I do trust Pruitt/Chaney to do the best with what they have to work with in the QB room until they can find someone who can do better. Bailey missing out on spring practice this year is one of the many unfortunate downsides to the current pandemic issues.

In the 2016 game at Neyland against Florida, the ducks pulling trucks game, the fans booed as our guys left the field at halftime, trailing 21-3. When the teams return for the second half, we receive the kickoff. Evan returns it to our 43 yard line. Dobbs comes on and leads us down to the Florida 30 and then throws an interception. I’m still shaking my head just remembering that. Then Bob Shoop dials up multiple blitzes by the defense and between TKjr, E. Moseley, B. Buchanan, and Colton Jumper, we hold the gators to 3 and out. Alvin Kamara returns the Florida punt to our 36 yard line. Dobbs returns to the field and from that point on in that game, I’d argue, aided by a Derek Barnett led defense, played the best football I’d ever seen him play, either before or after, as he led us to 38 unanswered points and a victory that at halftime seemed highly improbable.

I think JG sometimes tries too hard and gets away from playing within the offense and within himself. He’s not Joe Montana, Tom Brady, or even Josh Dobbs. He has never showed me anything that would indicate he can take over a football game. Dobbs could do that and in some measure that may have spoiled some of us as fans. JG needs his coaches and teammates and he, I think, would be a lot more successful as a quarterback if he directed his primary focus on helping the guys around him succeed and take that focus off himself. jmo.

Starts out fairly reasonable but he lost me when he said we had 0 picks in the first 3 rounds. If I’m not mistaken Taylor went round 2. He’s also doing OU homer stuff like assuming a couple of players are gonna be great that have barely played a down, like Rattler. Not unexpected from an opposing fan, but have your facts straight homie.

I am taking the Corona V. seriously, but I don't know why they can't have golf, at least. They don't need any audience (they love the quiet) and it's not a sport where there is physical contact.

“Corona V“ doesn’t register on the Kramer meme:
l-57259-people-who-say-coronavirus-people-who-say-covid-19-people-who-call-it-the-rona.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back