Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys that know more about football than I do... What's wrong with our DL? It isn't like the guys playing that position aren't big enough, their huge. So what is the problem? Are they just not talented enough? Are they not explosive enough, lacking quick twitch? Are they not strong enough? Are they using poor technique, not getting proper leverage? What's the deal there?
I think it’s a combination of what you mentioned but we also don’t have a leader in the group. Need someone to step up like Jennings did.

Reactions: Bassmaster_Vol
He's one of those people who should just be an OC. Not every good football coach is meant to be a HC.

CFB and sports in general are a front row seat to the Peter Principle in action. Position coaches can't hack it as coordinators. Coordinators can't hack it as a coaches. Coaches can't hack it when promoted to a higher rung of competition.

Reactions: Big Sun
I think it’s a combination of what you mentioned but we also don’t have a leader in the group. Need someone to step up like Jennings did.
It is clear that we miss Gooden more than we though we would. Glad we get him back next year. Next year's DL will hopefully be much improved. Gooden is back, Solomon is back, Emerson is back, Bumphus also, then add the talented freshmen like Baron, Hardy, and Bailey and I think we could see big improvement there. I just can't believe how bad they are this year.

I thought Leach was just damn crazy enough to probably make it work here. Plus, the dude just does more with less. I would love to see what he could do with unlimited resources
i got to the point i would have been fine with this.....he'd of at least been fun.

and it'd of been cool to see him come to the stadium on game day on a pirate ship up the TN river with the vol navy..............lol.

It is clear that we miss Gooden more than we though we would. Glad we get him back next year. Next year's DL will hopefully be much improved. Gooden is back, Solomon is back, Emerson is back, Bumphus also, then add the talented freshmen like Baron, Hardy, and Bailey and I think we could see big improvement there. I just can't believe how bad they are this year.

We are the Kings of next year.

I thought Leach was just damn crazy enough to probably make it work here. Plus, the dude just does more with less. I would love to see what he could do with unlimited resources

Leach is an offensive genius. Pair that with the biggest recruiting budget and recourses in the nation and we have an 8 win floor for the next decade.

Pruitt can probably build a decent roster here in 4 or 5 years unless recruiting just tanks. With that said, recruiting sure is quiet right now...
Looks like he’s fixing the offensive line and the linebacker unit. Otherwise, it’s been a mixed bag.

If we can get some solid defensive linemen this year then I’ll agree with you. But it’s all going to depend on this season. Not only could we possibly be looking at the worst season in UT history - but we don’t have any swagger on the trail either.

Reactions: Jack Burton
still, even with that being true....our administration made it extremely easy for him to be poached...and i'm still not sure what, if anything, we did to try and keep him...or if we even had the opportunity?

bad situation from the jump. just didn't know it until it was waaay too late.

Yeah true. There were better hires than Dooley even with the limited time we had to make it before NSD, but Kiffin stays put it's a different story.

I think with that whole situation what has always baffled me, and what I'd ask Kiffin point blank...why take that job? Everyone knew the sanctions were coming & the next HC was going to be the scapegoat. Had he stayed at UT another 2-3 seasons and been an 8+ win guy competing to win the East every year he likely still gets a call for that USC gig after the sanctions period when they begin the "reset"

As much as I really like Leach and hoped we ended up with him during the coaching search debacle. I've given it some more thought other than, he'd be cool in the presser and a few big plays. He wouldn't work out here, imo. The guy doesn't us TEs and barely uses RBs. Not to mention his defenses are.... Well he puts 11 guys out there. That wouldn't work in the SEC for long and recruiting would take a huge hit for years to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back