Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Putting my hatred for KY basketball aside, the job that Mark Stoops did this year is every bit as impressive as what Pruitt did. Going 7-5 with a WR/RB as your QB is unreal. It’s one thing to do it for a game but for most of a season? Wow.

I think Stoops is a very average game day coach, who very smartly recognized early at UK that he would be better off at first competing against B1G schools for tOSUs state of Ohio leftovers rather than competing with SEC powerhouses in the Southeast. Now that he has UK respectable he does a better job recruiting in the Southeast.

However, while Bowden was a RB as a HS freshman, he was a QB for his last 3 years of HS, so it's not like the role was new to him. And I keep seeing pundits say Stoops was forced to play Bowden at QB for most of the season, when in actuality Stoops himself said Sawyer Smith was healthy and ready at least as far back as the UT game. The fact is Stoops stayed with Bowden because him at QB gave UK the best chance of winning, not because he had no other options at QB.

Gran basically had Bowden running variations of a veer/triple option offense and he knew it would be difficult for the teams on UK's schedule to defend that offense since no one sees it in the SEC.

Don't get me wrong; I am not downplaying Stoops' success using Bowden at QB; when he said the week of the UT game that Smith was healthy again I thought at the time he would, and should, stay with Bowden, because he gave UK the best chance of being successful on offense. I just disagree with the notion that Mark Stoops worked wonders with a bad hand that he had no control over. I think it was more of a case of Stoops quickly realizing that the supposed 'bad hand' was actually a pretty good problem to have. Was that offense going to be successful against really good defenses? No, UGA showed that, and UT, which is a good, but not great defense, did a very good job of keeping that offense out of the endzone, But there is little doubt in my mind that once Stoops and Gran went with Bowden in the Ark game, they looked at the schedule down the stretch and quickly noticed that there were not many good to great defenses left on the schedule.

Reactions: SweetasSoda
Wow, the JG haters are back out in full force today.
they've got to find something to complain about....they've beaten the JJ face step to death, now they are moving on to JG. December will be a long month, regardless of the bowl we get. It won't be good enough....they will rehash the first two games of the season.

Think Pruitt gets a raise and extension pretty soon here.

Also, don't be surprised if coaches like Tee and others on staff interview for jobs.

so these guys are here for a year or so and are going to already try to leave? Not a good look for the program when we are preaching that we are trying to build back up...

Situations like Chris Peterson are going to happen more and more. This early signing period has made life brutal on college coaches. There’s literally no true dead period.
I’ve always gotten the impression that Peterson loves coaching football, but it’s not the all consuming passion that we see in the Nick Sabans and Bill Belichicks. His family and the life surrounding them is a REAL thing with him...not a negotiation factor like it is with Urban. Big reason he stayed at Boise State all those seasons. I’m sure he doesn’t regret taking his dream job, but if he had his druthers, he would’ve never left.

Situations like Chris Peterson are going to happen more and more. This early signing period has made life brutal on college coaches. There’s literally no true dead period.

Coaches can also do it now because of salaries. 6 years at Washington, and Petersen has made about $22 million+.

Reactions: BleedorangeinGA
Been speculated for years that he needed a couple of years at a big-time program to prove that BSU wasn’t a fluke before they would hand him the keys to USC. They needed to know he would recruit like they desired to run a nationally relevant program. That’s perhaps the reason for the smoke coming out of the AD at Southern Cal. And all the denials.
He ain’t going to USC.

so these guys are here for a year or so and are going to already try to leave? Not a good look for the program when we are preaching that we are trying to build back up...
Assistant coaches are always looking to leave for a promotion. Many of them want to be head coaches some day and that is the way you build up your resume'. Every program goes through this every year.

Reactions: hooter vol
If Lincoln Riley leaves Oklahoma for a NFL job is Josh Heupel Oklahoma's first call to replace Riley? And if James Franklin leaves Penn State for another job is Joe Moorehead Penn SState's first call to replace Franklin?

Penn State would be crazy to not go after Matt Rhule if Franklin leaves. PSU grad who grew up in State College, coached at Temple, and done a much better job with Baylor than Moorhead has done at MSU.

Reactions: captainfalcon777
Returners were told to fair catch the ball. Pruitt thinks that's the most productive strategy. That could change if they use Gray more next year.
Yeah I hate this strategy. Takes away an element of the game. Also do you know why Pruitt wouldn't run the score up on Vandy? We won by 18 could have been 35. It could have been an exciting game, but in reality it was one of the most boring games I have ever watched.

I'm all for throwing to players that score and win games.

I get that but I’m just sayin I would have liked to have targeted Ramel Keyton,Tyler Byrd and folks like that a bit more also,it’s not fair to say they could Never have taken over a game when their numbers were never called.Josh palmer as of late is a perfect example of this.

Penn State would be crazy to not go after Matt Rhule if Franklin leaves. PSU grad who grew up in State College, coached at Temple, and done a much better job with Baylor than Moorhead has done at MSU.
Rhule is THE It Guy this offseason. If a pro team doesn’t snap him up, he’d be the first choice at any job. Franklin doesn’t have a chance if both are candidates for USC.

Losing allllllll this production at WR along with getting one of if not the best passing QBs in the country. Where are the 4 and 5 star WRs? Still trying to wrap my mind around it

Reactions: UTSuave’
I get that but I’m just sayin I would have liked to have targeted Ramel Keyton,Tyler Byrd and folks like that a bit more also,it’s not fair to say they could Never have taken over a game when their numbers were never called.Josh palmer as of late is a perfect example of this.

yeah there was a game where Tee Martin moved to the sideline and we saw greater rotation amongst the receivers. I think it was MSU. Keyton had a big catch. Means was in there on the Byrd touchdown pass throwing a big block. After the game they said him being on the sideline helped with the rotation.

But then the last few weeks we resorted back to the sole reliance on MC, JJ, and JP. Can’t fault the results but still...

Reactions: UTSuave’
Yeah I hate this strategy. Takes away an element of the game. Also do you know why Pruitt wouldn't run the score up on Vandy? We won by 18 could have been 35. It could have been an exciting game, but in reality it was one of the most boring games I have ever watched.
Guarantano was off. That’s why 18 was “running up the score.” At this stage, you take the win against a program that’s had your number the past 3 seasons...longer losing streak than against UGA or Florida.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back