Recruiting Football Talk VII

Then there is the new CEO at Costco who started out as a company forklift driver and has been with the company for 40 years in many roles. Same as the CEO’s of Wal-Mart, John Deere, Johnson and Johnson, Fidelity, Philips 66 (who said he’s the first in his family to go to college), and many more. Yes, relationships can be part of it. But life is also about relationships. Someone putting a good word in is helpful when hiring people. There are a number of examples of people starting at entry level positions, learning the business, and becoming their company’s top executive.
And just as many who were handed the keys. It's not always one way or another.

Reactions: BigOrange15
We need to accept that we will be a #2 seed, and hopefully the top 2 seed... that KY game and UNC beating Duke for the second time clinched it... NBD, it may in the end put us in a better situation with matchups... I'd rather be in a bracket where hardly anyone has played us... We need to win at least 1-2 games in the SEC tourney and then take care of business finally in the big tourney.

See where the bracket guru has dropped UT to a 2 seed. IF UNC wins ACC tmt, UT will be a 2 if they go 1 and done, win the Tournament ,or anything in between. A matter of a national brand and a narrative.
I really wanted that 1 seed, but, we still have to win six games, so bring 'em on.

My wife has really been beating herself up over a few mistakes she has made recently. I reminded her that she should instead use these as opportunities for improvement and that she should embrace her mistakes. She gave me a hug.
That best thing you can do for yourself is to realize that you will make mistakes and that it’s okay to accept them and admit you were wrong. And to know you’ll make mistakes again.

great story sir. again, we are all not our circumstances. we can certainly rise above. but asking me to pull myself and rise above to be an nba player ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ i'm limited byyyy... factors😬
Man, I think I hear what you are saying

I know I am blessed. And I know my dad was not a dumbass just because he grew up on a farm in Athens, TN and took dumps in an outhouse until he was 18

If I understand your point, it was that privilege and connection yields more privilege and connection

I cannot agree more

We need to accept that we will be a #2 seed, and hopefully the top 2 seed... that KY game and UNC beating Duke for the second time clinched it... NBD, it may in the end put us in a better situation with matchups... I'd rather be in a bracket where hardly anyone has played us... We need to win at least 1-2 games in the SEC tourney and then take care of business finally in the big tourney.
We will forget about the seeding if we make a final 4

Why do we need to accept that? What difference would it make if we didn’t accept it?

Reactions: Volunteer821
These are very sage observations @Jackcrevol

My dad was the CEO of a Fortune 50 chemical company. Chemistry degree from UT and then an MBA from Penn

I benefitted from his connections in my college internships. And also the fact I got a four year degree with no debt after

It is not fair

But I will also offer that it took him eight years to graduate UTK because he had to work every other semester for the railroads to pay for the next. Grew up with an outhouse as a toilet on a 200 acre tabaco farm. Milked the cows every morning before high school

My dad is my hero
My father in law hired the person who became the CEO of a fortune 50 chemical company. His journey to the top was almost exactly the same as your dad's, started off a poor farmer, got a chemistry degree after working his way through college, then made it to the c-suite. I guess chemical companies are the ultimate bastion of meritocracy haha.

I know you don't want to dox yourself or your dad, but now I'm dying to know if it was Dow and if your dad and my father in law worked together haha. At the risk of Weezer nudes, shoot me an email if your dad worked at Dow, I'll edit this to remove my email shortly.

Last edited:
Reactions: screenthis
Dude!!

If I can offer anything that I have learned from 20 years of marriage:

When my wife starts going off, I simply ask, "Do you want help, a hug, or to be heard?"

Mostly she says that she just wants to be heard

I always though that she wanted help and me to fix it. So I would go full mansplain

Nope
YARN | You serious, Clark? | National Lampoon's Christmas ...

Then there is the new CEO at Costco who started out as a company forklift driver and has been with the company for 40 years in many roles. Same as the CEO’s of Wal-Mart, John Deere, Johnson and Johnson, Fidelity, Philips 66 (who said he’s the first in his family to go to college), and many more. Yes, relationships can be part of it. But life is also about relationships. Someone putting a good word in is helpful when hiring people. There are a number of examples of people starting at entry level positions, learning the business, and becoming their company’s top executive.
It's mostly "about want to."

Dude!!

If I can offer anything that I have learned from 20 years of marriage:

When my wife starts going off, I simply ask, "Do you want help, a hug, or to be heard?"

Mostly she says that she just wants to be heard

I always though that she wanted help and me to fix it. So I would go full mansplain

Nope
Somewhere there is a:

———————-

The joke

Your head

———————-

Meme out there that seems fitting right now.

My wife has really been beating herself up over a few mistakes she has made recently. I reminded her that she should instead use these as opportunities for improvement and that she should embrace her mistakes. She gave me a hug.
Weird. You must have a different model. Mine is batting 1,000%

I'm not saying that all are too lazy. The people at the bottom who are doing stuff to get to the top aren't the ones complaining about how much the top makes because they have the ambition and hope to be there one day. They don't waste all their time whining about how unfair things are. We all know things are not fair (Vol fans in particular) and we should never stop striving for fairness. Winners don't allow unfairness to stop them from pursuing excellence or use it as an excuse. Ask my Grandfather, that's who showed me this.
Had a 100k union job ready for a buddy of mine. He found out they drug tested. Kept job as pizza delivery boy. Talks about “the man”. Luke it’s someone else fault. The mirror is really tough for a lot of folks

VN Store

Back