Recruiting Football Talk VII

Out of all the disgusting instances we could name, involving ESPN/media dragging UT through the mud,..the worst of them all, imo, is when ESPN accused Evan Russell, during a live broadcast, of being on PEDs, and was suspended for the rest of the season; and, then followed that up by stating that our entire team would be drug tested.
Yeah that was as unprofessional as it gets. That place is full of nothing but hacks anymore. If Evan were my son I would have been beyond pissed, I wish I could think of a word worse than disgusting because it was even worse than that in my eyes. It was handled with alot more class than I could have mustered.

On a lighter note, I almost added to the VN lexicon. I typed out mustarded at first. 😂

I wish the bammers would do the world a favor and Eli gold ole paul. That being said, I agree with the professor from miami. It is a really big deal for college athletics.
I rarely watch him, but it has been very interesting watching Pawl change his thoughts on this case. When it first started, he was like Forde and company. NCAA gonna whack TN good this time. Then he started having lawyers and people like Adam Sparks on that all told him the NCAA is going to lose bigly. He continued to rail for rhe past couple of weeks about Saban needing to step in and become some kind of grand poobah of CFB to save it. Then today happened.

He then kept saying the NCAA will obviously appeal. Guest after guest today kept telling him there was no reason to appeal unless they deliberately want to sqander more $ or just be obtuse. Three different people told him the only thing the NCAA has left is to plead Congress to ignore Gaza, ignore Ukraine, ignore the border, ignore the 24 election and come put the NCAA at the head of the line and save them (which they invoked in their response).

One guy even told Pawl that him and his generation need to grasp that things have changed today and it is never going back. You could see Pawl's face kind of go more pale than usual. It has been highly entertaining and not having to listen to Jim, Iman, or Legend calling in has been an added bonus!

TCNDhd.gif
History repeats itself. Crockett takes down invaders. Volunteers take down the NCAA…

Side note...you keep talking about the market correcting itself...In my opinion this is not a "market" in the normal sense of the word.

In any normal market, billionaires do not throw insane money around with no intention of reaping a financial reward. This "market" will never "correct itself" because in essense it is not about collectives or other boosters making money off of players...it is all about the emotional attachment to the teams those fan collectives and billionaire boosters support....which means it's going to get insane.

It is what it is though...it's all screwed.
I think it will in a sense of what a premiere athlete demands in NiL. That won't matter if some college absolutely wants a certain player and is willing to just dump whatever it takes to get them. That would be outside the norm, imo (maybe 2-3 athletes a year could demand that type of investment)

I think it comes back to what a "sponsor" or school is willing to pay for a particular position. I think it'll correct itself to an average cost per position. $800k-$1.3m for a QB as an example. I dont think we see too many people dumping $2mil+ on a player if they can get another similar quality player for half that. . . unless they are convinced they just absolutely have to have that particular player. There are a lot of schools and only a few really elite players, so maybe it does stay very volatile.

I could also see the top 15 or so athletes demanding ridiculous numbers and then see a market correction for the rest.

I dont know if we'll ever seen a correction for player retention though. What is someone willing to pay a national title winning QB who has a year of eligibility left? What is someone willing to pay to steal them for a year? That could be a lot of $ and it could vary a lot from team, position, need, etc. Then again, given enough time, it probably could correct itself as well.

NCAA is suicidal
Yes and no, imo, my friend. No, because the NCAA is going after Tennessee. That particular new rule licensing the NCAA to criminalize school administrations for doing their jobs is an attempt to go after our administration specifically for the purpose of compelling us to back down. And remember that the NCAA intents a lack of institutional control claim. Criminalizing our administration for defending our school against NCAA assault and racketeering (using an ex post facto "guideline" and its weapon) contributes to a LOIC finding. It also serves to satisfy a person vendetta of the NCAA, which is affronted that anyone -- much less Tennessee (!) -- is standing up to their toxic bullying.

The blood lust of these criminals overawes any sense they may have. Besides, they have gotten away forever with exploiting their power to play "friends and enemies" to rig outcomes. They had no reason to suspect that they would get their asses kicked here. It's never happened -- except in cases where the NCAA was complicit with one of their pets and, so to speak, intentionally threw their conduct of an investigation that was the result of public pressure but against the NCAA's wishes. Kansas and UNC basketball to name two examples. Michigan football in broad daylight! They covered for Michigan for two years and still have done nothing, abetting Harbaugh in getting away to the NFL, and gifting Michigan to a tainted trophy.

But yes, there is a plan to replace this institution so dear to the hearts and essential to the tainted results of the NCAA favorites. But that this present battle is not real and potentially deadly to our program shouldn't be overlooked with an eye to the next fight. As always, the present war is the greatest war.

VN Store

Back