Recruiting Football Talk VII

The Taylor Swift hate is silly. She's a successful business woman and musician. Isn't that what America is about? My daughter loved her music when she was younger and I could think of a lot worse music to listen to. I took her to a concert before the tix got crazy and it was a good "show". I get that she is on the news all the time and it is annoying, but why question a donation. I guarantee the family isn't. Have you donated the quoted quarter?

We have women openly singing about their wet vaginas and we worry about how many boyfiends Swift has had?...lol
I don't hate Taylor Swift at all. I don't know her. Completely indifferent. But personally? Yes I've donated plenty while having much less. And besides my wife, no one else ever knew. I said the donation was nice, but I'm not going to act like billionaires giving away a tax write off is a huge deal to them. She's not missing a meal.

Totally agree with your last paragraph. Once again, I don't hate her. I find the 25 clips of her at every game a bit grating but it's not a big deal.

I don't hate Taylor Swift at all. I don't know her. Completely indifferent. But personally? Yes I've donated plenty while having much less. And besides my wife, no one else ever knew. I said the donation was nice, but I'm not going to act like billionaires giving away a tax write off is a huge deal to them. She's not missing a meal.

Totally agree with your last paragraph. Once again, I don't hate her. I find the 25 clips of her at every game a bit grating but it's not a big deal.
Same. I dont hate her. I just dont like seeing her every other play during a football game.

I'm glad she donated, she didn't have to. Maybe I'm a bit cynical, but I don't trust donations that are thrown into the media for high-profile incidents. Just seems like they're doing it for appearances, even if they're not. She could donate $10mil and never notice it.

As a reminder, the context seems to have been letting us know she gave to charity, so we'll like her more. Seems the grating thing about her is that she's everywhere we look. So, how does it help the conversation to push her public marketing via charity in front of us?

Matt 6:2-4

I think he spent too much time lifting weights and ST. Some mass is necessary but not so much in bball.
He’s a natural freak, but after his second season in Orlando, more of that MASS was table derived. His game evolved with experience and he worked on it. But he cost himself huge parts of seasons with his unhealthy regimen and it was a major source of his clashes with Kobe. Shaq with a Kobe, Jordan or Lebron work ethic is right up in that conversation. Self-limited he was damn close.

Any updates in the war room on who Heupel is after for the RB and LB coaches?
For LB they said it could be any number of people b/c of how long Banks has coached and how many places he has been but they haven't listed off any names as of yet

For RB the two that they have mentioned are Carlos Locklyn from Oregon and Anthony Jones from TCU - also mention Jimmy Smith from Arkansas. Say that a hire isn't imminent but it won't drag out either.

BLAKE BURKE, TENNESSEE​

11807703.jpg
(Photo: Brianna Paciorka, Knoxville News Sentinel)
Position: First base
2023 stats: .280 BA, .369 OBP, 16 home runs, 43 RBI
Widely tipped as a breakout All-American ahead of last season after a strong freshman campaign in 2022, Burke didn't make the leap that many expected. But the potential is still there, and Burke will be expected to step into more of a leadership role this spring.
That immense power at the plate — Burke has hit some truly towering home runs during his time with the Volunteers — hasn't gone anywhere. Burke posted an OPS of 1.29 in 2022, and the feeling here is that he gets back to that level of production, but this time as an everyday starter and a key cog in the middle of Tennessee's lineup. That should be good for All-SEC honors, and Burke will be one of the best players on a CWS contender. Thus, he earns a spot on this list.

Not mentioned in the article, but Burke's defense has really improved as well.

(Chase Burns is also on the list.)
Surprised Peebles/amick didn’t make the list. We are reloading for another great run this year.

That's nice. I hate to sound cynical but it's also .01% of her wealth and a tax write off. It'd be like me handing you a quarter.

That is pretty cynical, I hate this idea that the wealthy SHOULD donate more. Taylor makes a ton, and regardless of what % of her Net Worth is or isn't donated shouldn't matter. She's still donating, and not just to a non-profit she owns.

100k to someone else's GoFund Me, she also donated 1 million to the Tennessee Emergency Response Fund as well. What I appreciate is unlike most "look at me" celebrities she's actually been enjoying the games and excited to watch Travis and the Chiefs play at least when they cut to her during the games.

He’s a natural freak, but after his second season in Orlando, more of that MASS was table derived. His game evolved with experience and he worked on it. But he cost himself huge parts of seasons with his unhealthy regimen and it was a major source of his clashes with Kobe. Shaq with a Kobe, Jordan or Lebron work ethic is right up in that conversation. Self-limited he was damn close.
If Shaquille had given a damn about conditioning, him and Kobe would have eclipsed Jordan and Pippen as best duo of all time.

Last edited:
re: Taylor Swift

I think everyone either makes too big a deal or too little a deal about what celebrities do with their time and money. Like Fulmer used to say, you're never as good or as bad as they say you are.

Taylor's spokesperson made the statements and her agent probably handled the donations on a public GoFundMe. It's still a good thing that was done in her name, but she is getting some criticism for it. On the flip side, I haven't seen criticism towards all the Chiefs players that haven't donated money to victims. They made statements and said, "Good enough" then walked away. Some may have given anonymously and that's great. We don't know. On the flip side of that coin, Taylor Swift would probably also get criticized for "not doing anything" if she had given anonymously.

There's a lot of public charity she does, and to go back to the first thing I was saying, that's probably not the full extent of her charity and it's probably by design. Her agent and publicist keep the good PR going and it leaves a public record of her givings. She also probably gives and does a lot anonymously that we either never know or we find out later (which has happened with a lot of celebrities including her).

So, I just take this stuff at face value. "That's a nice thing she did. Cool," and not make an overly big deal or diminish it.

meh. just a big dude that dunked.

Reactions: hooter vol

VN Store

Back