Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honest questions for you or anyone else who has more insight in the LV program bc I lost most of my interest when Pat retired. Would y’all prefer a LV alum? Why would we stay inside the family for a new coach? I think Kara Lawson is the only one who could possibly fit the bill, but she’s only had two years of success at Duke. It’s time for us to go outside the family and bring in new blood IMO. If that coach wins soon and big, the LV people won’t care either way as long as that coach embraces the tradition of the LV, which isn’t just basketball.
I dont have any inside info, but I would prefer to steer clear of Lawson because she has honestly been a mid coach. In 4 years at duke, shes taken them to the tournament 2 times. I know as a program we can do better than her.

I do question if DW will be able to pull off a big time hire for the Lady Vols. What kind of budget is he working with? Does he have approval to open up the checkbook? There are a lot of things that could affect his candidacy pool that might not be in his control. Hopefully we don't end up taking a step back.

i like this list but I’m not sure how a person from New York or California would bond here amongst the fans…almost like Brian Kelly or Dana Holgorsen coaching here.

If they will attempt to fake a southern accent… I’m in.

I dont have any inside info, but I would prefer to steer clear of Lawson because she has honestly been a mid coach. In 4 years at duke, shes taken them to the tournament 2 times. I know as a program we can do better than her.
it’s twice in three years…. first year….. they shut the team down after 4 games bc of covid.
She took over a team that was 15-15 and in the bottom 3rd of the ACC…. She has done a really good job…. you can also tell by how mad Duke fans are that they perceive that she may leave for Tennessee… I don’t think we have to worry about it bc i forgot how she acted after KH was hired.

I do question if DW will be able to pull off a big time hire for the Lady Vols. What kind of budget is he working with? Does he have approval to open up the checkbook? There are a lot of things that could affect his candidacy pool that might not be in his control. Hopefully we don't end up taking a step back.
I am 100% confident that whoever he hires will end up being a big time hire…. The man knows what he is looking for in coaches.

Why do a lot of LV fans seem to be against hiring Jeff Walz? What is the beef there?
I don’t want him…. He has only been to two final fours in 16 years and is trending downward the last couple of seasons as shown by losing more than 10 games each year… His recruiting is also struggling as shown by not finishing in the top 25 last year and only 16 this year.

We need a coach that lives in the top 5 in recruiting and has an innovative offensive approach.

I love Aidoo but as you said something was wrong. I think he was intimidated by the size of Edey..

People can disagree but the Frosh Estrella played the best defense out of all the low post players vs Edey. Really proud of him and the young man has a bright future. Just hope this NIL and portal thing doesn't tempt him to leave.
Yes he did….. We basically took a knife to a gunfight… This new age basketball has made players smaller inside…. Its not a coincidence that three of the four teams playing have big dudes in the middle that other teams have a hard time dealing with.

Reactions: knoxvol52
I love the MLB that has the strikezone box. It lets you see how effective the umpires call the pitches.

Last night was watching the Dodgers vs Giants. Logan Webb threw a back door breaking ball that missed the plate by 4 inches and Muncey was rung up.lol
that is one area where it might be effective but i have doubts about the rest…. Dodgers kept their streak alive of more than 5 runs per game… Just wait till shohei gets heated up.

Reactions: knoxvol52
Happy Wednesday.

April 3, 2024: You are moving in the right direction, but there are still issues that need to be ironed out before you forge ahead. There are things that have not been addressed that must be made clear. Do your best to leave no stone unturned, says the Lord. Do not forget to access My wisdom in the process. James 1:5 If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him.

Happy Wednesday.

April 3, 2024: You are moving in the right direction, but there are still issues that need to be ironed out before you forge ahead. There are things that have not been addressed that must be made clear. Do your best to leave no stone unturned, says the Lord. Do not forget to access My wisdom in the process. James 1:5 If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him.
👍🏻

Over/Under on footballs that are lost?

Imagine a “Blindside “ block.
It’s a very long way down from the deck of an aircraft carrier.

Surely they will have strong nets to catch anyone…that would be an awful look for Navy. Game was going well until the broadside swell and the one team fell off. 😳

I cannot believe it, but I want anyone to beat these a-holes. Up to and including Bama.
I want you to take some time off to reflect on what you just stated. It’s beneath you to even consider that as a viable option.

You need to apologize to VN and all of Volkind for such a terrible mistake.

😎

NC State is gonna take them out anyway. (Hopefully)

I don’t want him…. He has only been to two final fours in 16 years and is trending downward the last couple of seasons as shown by losing more than 10 games each year… His recruiting is also struggling as shown by not finishing in the top 25 last year and only 16 this year.

We need a coach that lives in the top 5 in recruiting and has an innovative offensive approach.
four final fours 09’ 13’ 18’ 22’ but point taken indeed. He lives a bit too much in the portal imo

Reactions: volbeast33
SF said DW has been given freedom to break the bank and that he’s absolutely swinging big. Said there’s a shortlist of 3 candidates and they’re in talks with their top choice and that it would be an absolute homerun hire. Said the other 2 are big upgrades as well and that their agents actually reached out to us about the opening.

My belief based on that and what Peay has said is that it’s Becky Hammon they’re talking with. SF mentioned they talked about making the top option the highest paid coach in women sports as well as some other upside items.

I don't see any way they take a step back...which they were definitely set-up to do with the poor recruiting from KJH. Just hiring a good recruiter will be an improvement.

Idk but I ventured over there for the first time ever and returned quickly. That Lucy lady is something else. Slightly full of herself
Same here. Have not been back there since back in Holly's days when I was properly chastised for saying the obvious. 😂

I decided I was too uncouth, lacked culture and was simply too hillbilly to be allowed past the gatekeepers. Thus, dining at their Big Orange table would never be permitted.

And here we are, 12 years later with the same type gatekeepers claiming authority over us plebes in their echo chamber of idiocy.

April 3, 1973
The first cell phone call was made on April 3, 1973, by Motorola engineer Martin Cooper from Sixth Avenue in New York while walking between 53rd and 54th streets.

Cooper hoisted the 2 1/2-pound prototype to his ear and called a rival, Joel Engel of Bell Laboratories at AT&T, to declare that his Motorola team had devised a functional portable phone. “There was silence at the other end of the line,” Cooper recalled to Bloomberg in 2015. “To this day, Joel doesn’t remember that call, and I’m not sure I blame him.”

The clunky “shoe” phone, almost as big as a shoebox, allowed a user to talk for 35 minutes and required 10 hours to recharge, according to Wired magazine.

1712146939254.png

Walz was the hottest young coach in the country when we almost hired him last time. Feels like his commitment to Louisville was questioned and used against him in recruiting. Regardless his coaching resume is impressive:
2x NCAA Runner-Up
4x Final Four appearances
8x Elite Eight appearances
12x Sweet 16 appearances
15x NCAA appearances in 16 seasons (Covid not included)
464-135 (.775) record.
He's had 2 seasons ending with 10 or more losses in the last dozen years and made the Final Four 2 years ago.

Has 3 of the Top 100 in this year's class and a name like his could lock down the uncommitted 5-star at Clarksville. Important to remember that LSU stole his best player last offseasons because of NIL. That probably wouldn't be a problem for him in Knoxville.

We could do a heck of a lot worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back