Recruiting Football Talk VII

There is something very dysfunctional about spending sooooo much time, energy and mind-space on the "hate" of a defense. Coach Banks is a trigger for InVol for some reason.

But I'm a firm believer in what you put out into the world comes back to you. Putting out "hate" and spending energy on hating someone will never yield a positive result.

So InVol can continue with the Banks hate and its never going to change the trajectory of Tennessee Foolball or the career of Coach Banks at Tennessee Football or beyond.
Soooooooooo, I think I have a lot more O’s than you do. Sooooooooooooo, InVol is. Period. I’m not taking up your mantle @InVOLuntary, because, damn. Some PEOPLE don’t know how to introduce themselves to the RF. They just come barging in. Damn off season.

When people mention great Wide Receivers that played at Tennessee, everybody seems to forget Alvin Harper..

12th draft pick of 1991 NFL Draft...forgot what team he got picked by😏😏😏
Back right before the Cowboys made their Super Bowl runs. Now, those of us old enough to remember it can tell our grandchildren about it.

True I remember when Alvin let for FA and signed with Tampa Bay.

Probably a big mistake but got #1 WR money at that time but didn't have an adequate Robin for him to be Batman ...plus injuries riddled him some in Tampa..
Harper was a really good #2 NFL receiver. Tampa paid him to be their #1, but he just wasn't an NFL #1 WR.

Those 3 linebackers man, be hard to improve on that, even mayo I couldn't pick who to remove
Alright I’m bored. If you could select a starting 11 Defense from the ‘97-‘01 Vols rosters, who you taking?

DE - Leonard Little
DT - John Henderson
DT - Albert Haynesworth
DE - Shaun Ellis

LB - Raynoch Thompson
LB - Al Wilson
LB - Kevin Burnett

DB - Dwayne Goodrich
DB - Deon Grant
DB - Andre Lott
DB - Terry Fair

Alright I’m bored. If you could select a starting 11 Defense from the ‘97-‘01 Vols rosters, who you taking?

DE - Leonard Little
DT - John Henderson
DT - Albert Haynesworth
DE - Shaun Ellis

LB - Raynoch Thompson
LB - Al Wilson
LB - Kevin Burnett

DB - Dwayne Goodrich
DB - Deon Grant
DB - Andre Lott
DB - Terry Fair
I'd go with Westmoreland instead of Burnett. Big Al, Raynoch, and EMo were a solid trio. They balanced each other out perfectly.

I love Pickens, but Peerless was the greatest big game WR in Vols history, imo. Scored in both SEC CG's and we all know about the NC game. Plus, he scored a TD in another bowl from Peyton and the Florida game in the NC year. Pickens may have had the better career in the NFL, but Peerless still had multiple 1,000 rec. yards years, too. Pickens got all those deep TDs from Jeff Blake, at Cincy. Plus, Pickens ranking goes up at UT because of that year showing out in the secondary and all those kick returns (LSU stands out to me). Of course, Peerless had a huge KO return against Bama for a TD. Damn, I'm all over the place and rambling, my bad. Love 'em both

If we could land at least 2 of the visiting OL, that would be huge. I'd love to take all 3, personally, but that probably doesn't happen. But if we could get 2 of them, it would go a long way to solidifying this line. Still need this year's freshmen to develop enough to contribute.

I think we're fine at WR and RB. QB is tricky, because a veteran backup would be nice, but I don't see anyone of worth coming here to be a backup to Nico, knowing they don't really factor into ever being the starter. TE is a worry because I'm not sure Ethan Davis makes it a full season without getting hurt. Not sure we have the numbers to carry another scholarship TE though. Still, OL is the most important unit to fix. Nico needs protection.

I think both Anthony Miller and Stanley Morgan (played mostly RB, here) both had over 10,000 yards rec. in their NFL careers. In fact, Morgan should probably be in the NFL HoF, imo. Monster stats for that era.

Stanley actually averaged nearly 20 yards per reception for his entire career, 19.2 ypc to be precise. Indeed, he averaged anywhere from 20.9 to 24.1 yds per catch for his first six seasons. His best overall year was 1986, when he recorded 84 receptions for 1491 yards and 10 touchdowns. Stanley Morgan Stats, Height, Weight, Position, Draft, College | Pro-Football-Reference.com

A dropped pass is on the WR about 99% of the time. There is a reason why guys like Swain, Crompton and even NFL WRs have said if the ball hits you in the hands, you catch it. Pretty sad that you cannot admit that the WR play this year was far worse than last year.

You saying Milton would never make that Keyton throw is ridiculous. Conjecture. If you want to say that we could say this. Remember that TD Milton threw to Bru in the Orange Bowl? Nico couldn’t make that throw.
Milton sucked period. No touch on his throws and terrible field awareness. Couldn’t throw a receiver open to save his life. Constantly staring down his WR target instead of going through progressions. Literally throwing the ball late almost every time which would force him to throw absolute bullets for no reason. I don’t care what you say. There is a reason he only had 1 - 300yd game.

Last edited:
Reactions: tnvols72

VN Store

Back