Recruiting Football Talk VII

From the coaches presser today:
Very little talk about the game itself. The talk was about the state of college football. Kirk Ferentz was very clear that college football needs a commissioner and both coaches expressed concern for the game as well as the chaos that is the month of December which will only get worse in 2024.

More hints that things like early signing day and the portal period will be changing

So, I know I’m a Cowboys fan, but I don’t think you can totally absolve the Lions for this. Skipper didn’t need to report but did. You usually only have one OL report, so the official immediately went to inform the Dallas defense. Therefore, he missed Decker trying to report. Bungled in a couple of ways. I’m still not sure about the formation either. St. Brown is close, but it appears there are 6 on the LOS.
I mentioned it was weird that Skipper seemed to yell something towards the direction of the ref and Decker/Sewell. All 3 OL are adamant that Skipper never checked in as eligible though. The weird thing to me is the ref never really even acknowledges Decker who’s been standing in front of him and looks to be talking at him for a good 2-3 seconds before Skipper runs up. The official does point at skipper though which is the sign as reporting, but I don’t think Skipper noticed. So it’s a he said she said at this point which is a problem in and of itself.

As for the formation, it just seems to be a judgement call. To me, with the way St. Brown is leaning forward he seems to be within a half yard of the front of the OL helmets and a head of the TE. For me, and knowing that WR that are technically “on the line” aren’t always directly on the line and it’s still valid, id say he’s on. That’d be 7. Idk how the ref would view it though. They didn’t seem to have a problem based off their comments after the game with anything other than the TE covering Skipper which wouldn’t be an issue if reported correctly.

I think it’s just fascinating case study of ineptitude from multiple angles. Refs audio would be a fun listen right now. I’ve also seen that Dan Campbell actually went over this play with the refs ahead of the game. Apparently this is pretty common for HC to do this with the refs ahead of games if they have plays or formations or whatever that they want to point out or call attention to just in case. idk, I have no skin in the game so is what it is but no matter the result or what actually happened vs didn’t.. it’s big time ineptitude that it’s even a question.

Move back to 1 signing day in Feb, and portal doesn’t open till after spring games
Early signing day is fine. Early enrollees get in and it has no effect on the current season, none have or will play this season.

The portal is insane! The season isn’t over until the last game has been played.
The portal shouldn’t be open until the season is over. Common sense.

All this talk about "fixing" CFB is rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic. The issue is what it has been-- networks wanting to control the product to maximize viewership, revenue and egos. And "wanting" is really "demanding," since everybody in the trickle-down wants their money and will sell out for it.

It's the Hollywood model, with sports as entertainment, conferences as production companies, schools as show runners and players as content providers. Fans are the audience paying more and more for an increasingly diluted product.

All this talk about "fixing" CFB is rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic. The issue is what it has been-- networks wanting to control the product to maximize viewership, revenue and egos. And "wanting" is really "demanding," since everybody in the trickle-down wants their money and will sell out for it.

It's the Hollywood model, with sports as entertainment, conferences as production companies, schools as show runners and players as content providers. Fans are the audience paying more and more for an increasingly diluted product.
Amen! Man you nailed it, and it really is so disappointing.

The NFL world is ablaze with talk of the conspiracy and officials rigging this game against the lions. In my opinion, red dot and yellow dot appear to be lined up at the same depth (certainly not one yard apart, which is the rule for off vs on the line of scrimmage). Yellow dot is intended to be on the line of scrimmage. Therefore, red dot is also on the line of scrimmage. This would mean green dot is covered up and is ineligible, regardless of him reporting. If red dot is off the line, then so is yellow dot. In that case there would be fewer than 7 men on the line of scrimmage, which is an illegal formation. The reporting of eligibility is completely beside the point, in my opinion. Either green dot is ineligible due to alignment, or the formation is illegal.
I don’t agree at all that yellow dot and red dot are at the same depth though I probably do agree that there isnt a full yard of depth difference between the two. Red dot even pointed at the ref while lined up and threw his hand backwards saying I’m off line to get confirmation. I’d be curious to see the run up to see if yellow dot ever looked to the ref to get confirmation that he’s on the line. If both got confirmation, and both don’t have the same depth which, IMO, they don’t, then that can’t be illegal formation. Calling that penalty to say red dot was a half yard to close when the already the depth of a WR on the line vs off is pretty subjective, in a moment like that, would be criminal.

I'm glad FSU stepped up and ruined the orange bowl for ESPN

Yep. And the people who say they are going to try to fix it are the same ones creating all the issues.

VN Store

Back