Recruiting Football Talk VII

Sure, but that is a any given Saturday argument. Same with March Madness.

I'm not betting Bama if the SEC championship was a 7-game series. However, given one game, Saban is able to close his talent gap via out coaching Smart. I don't think that holds for 7-games.
UGA should probably be in the argument, but they are not certainly, without question, the overall best team.

FSU v UGA ended as it should. One coach kept his team together and focused. The other whined and cried and his team imploded.

What you saw was a better team with better leadership at the top. The FSU deserved it is BS. Winners keep fighting, they don’t quit.
All of those aren’t mutually exclusive. You can make an argument that UGA kept it together with a stronger culture, and it still has nothing to do with who deserved to be in the playoff. The outcome of the game today had no bearing.

They had won 29 in a row, back to back National Championships, and their focus/intensity dropped off just a bit against a team that had equal-to across the board, and could beat them if they fell off in just the slightest of ways...which is what happened, and they got beat by a field goal.

They played with fire a few times this year, focus/intensity not being where it needed to be. Finally bit them on the ass against Bama, a team they should have known better.

Still, they are the best team in the country.
IMO their 2 main offensive weapons being hurt is what tripped them up. That will end up being the best game of the season I believe.

Idk why fans think like that. Orange Bowl W last year was sweet and meant a lot for the program.

Means something to UGA. That’s why basically all their dudes are playing.
It means something to the players, fans, school, conference, record, accomplishments, finishing what you start achievement, etc. If all that matters to you is the playoff, then just watch that. Really enjoying this Wyoming game myself!

They played 2 SEC teams this year and won. While I agree it would be much tougher every week, the FSU team with all of their players and Jordan Travis was a very good team. Huge overreaction from a team who was missing a bunch of players.

Sure, this year's team would have been competitive.

However, you are paying $120 million to leave. We saw what they were before a few transfers who are on their way to the NFL and we saw what they were once those players opted out. It wasn't pretty before and it wasn't pretty afterwards.

That leads us to the $120 million proposition. Is it worth leaving a semi-respectable conference where you are top dogs for a conference (SEC) where you will probably be a middle of the road team for a little more money per year a decade+ from now? Similarly, is it worth leaving a semi-respectable conference where you are top dogs for a conference (Big 10) where you will probably be a 2nd tier team for a little more money per year a decade+ from now plus way more travel expenses? Given this performance, will either of those conferences want to except you right now, by yourself?

Anyway you slice it, that value proposition isn't as attractive now, for any side, as it was a month ago.

Leroy Thompson
Truth. Tyson Middle School. In Mr. Townsend's 7th grade homeroom, I inadvertently got in the way of Leroy Thompson as he was chasing Elaine Willis between desks. He gave me an uppercut in the epigastric area and I was folded in half, unable to breathe, barely knowing what had happened. That said, he was actually a nice guy, great singing voice. He could dunk on a 10 foot basket in 6th grade when he was something like 5'7". It would have been nice to see him in orange. I never was sure why that didn't happen.

All of those aren’t mutually exclusive. You can make an argument that UGA kept it together with a stronger culture, and it still has nothing to do with who deserved to be in the playoff. The outcome of the game today had no bearing.
Didn’t say anything about playoff, only mentioned leadership and the expected outcome. You assumed an intent.

If both UGA and FSU had been at full strength the game would’ve been a toss up. That wasn’t the case and FSU was without all of their best players, who were either injured or opted out. Thus, they got embarrassed.
No it wouldn’t…KY beat the 2nd best ACC team and took the 3rd deep into 4th quarter. Stop talking down SEC strength at the top.

Georgia could have named the score against any FCS team that they have played…. The reason they didn’t was bc Kirby called off the dogs… i don’t think this current FSU team would be very competitive in many Bowl games.

Kent State would like a word.

If you want to argue Kent State has a better roster than the one FSU trotted out tonight, good luck.

Sure, this year's team would have been competitive.

However, you are paying $120 million to leave. We saw what they were before a few transfers who are on their way to the NFL and we saw what they were once those players opted out. It wasn't pretty before and it wasn't pretty afterwards.

That leads us to the $120 million proposition. Is it worth leaving a semi-respectable conference where you are top dogs for a conference (SEC) where you will probably be a middle of the road team for a little more money per year a decade+ from now? Similarly, is it worth leaving a semi-respectable conference where you are top dogs for a conference (Big 10) where you will probably be a 2nd tier team for a little more money per year a decade+ from now plus way more travel expenses? Given this performance, will either of those conferences want to except you right now, by yourself?

Anyway you slice it, that value proposition isn't as attractive now, for any side, as it was a month ago.
That’s for them to decide, but the result today shouldn’t affect it one way or the other. They had many players out.

The 12 team playoff changes the equation though because a 2 loss team from a strong conference will get in.

They're not even guaranteed a landing spot in a premier conference, and tonight will not go a long way in helping them there.

(By the way, how have you been? Good to see you.)

Agreed.

If they land in a premier conference, they lost leverage tonight in negotiating how much of a hit they will take in annual money until a new deal is negotiated between the conference and the networks.

Nice seeing you, as well. Trying to stay away from the politics forum.

VN Store

Back