Recruiting diminishing returns under Heupel's system?

I believe the fact that Hendon was drafted 2nd round and that Darnell was drafted 10th overall , their comments just bore me and irrelevant. Just another way to try and negatively recruit against us. First it’s been the NCAA investigation, now it’s the offense. Same Ol Shiff different year.

Reactions: luthervol
I could tell how Darnell Wright was hampered last year by the Heupel system. I think it's because he requires them to tie their shoelaces together for the games.

all this nonsense in media is predictable. Every time there's an innovative change, it's "outed" as not enduring, or not real football or whatever...wishbone, west coast offense, fun-n-gun, etc, etc. The prevailing truth from the inception of college football is if you win talented players want to play on that team.

Why is Kirby & his gang so concerned about Tennessee? Were they with Cornbread? No.

Use your head. If they weren’t concerned they wouldn’t be saying anything. Heupel has had 1 week without NCAA violations hanging over his staff. He’s done a great job AND THEY KNOW IT.

Yeah I think having a 5* OT that was just picked 10th overall means that having talent makes a difference.

Georgia and their fans/writers seriously confuse me. Y'all just won back to back natty's, you're finally a respected program, you are currently sitting at the absolute peak your program ever has, or ever will again, experience.

Please just enjoy it. Don't worry about the future outcomes of Heupel's best recruits.

Take this all in while Tennessee is coming off the worst 10 years in program history, and relish this before you reassume your rightful place as Tennessee's little brother.

First of all, I realize this is a Georgia media guy of some sort, so we have to automatically take what he says with a grain of salt for a lot of reasons. However, I'm also wondering if there is any sort of grain of truth to what he says. If the answer is 'no,' please explain your rationale with something besides a blanket dismissal or blind trust. My instinct is that he's wrong as well, but I want to know some solid reasons for why that's the case.

Here's a link to the first tweet (there are several). For those of you on the platform, probably worth looking at the responses and some of his answers to those.

And for those of you who don't Twitter, here is what he says:

The ironic part of Tennessee beginning to recruit well is that Tennessee is running a system that is designed to dramatically lessen the need for talent at OT and QB… It’s a law of diminishing returns. Over time, Heupel will actually be minimizing the talent advantage he’s built

I see UT fans don’t understand…

Guess what guys? The best way to use blue-chips isn’t to run a offense with 4 patterns in the tree. There’s a reason nobody is running the old Baylor stuff anymore. If the Vols recruit 5* OL one day, Heupel’s system will hold back their potential

There is a reason that teams with elite lines aren’t hiring someone to run this offense for them. Good DL’s have shredded it for 20 yrs.

You don’t like hearing it, but if UT starts to recruit like an elite program you’ll soon find yourselves calling for changes in the scheme

There’s a lot of you going the “you don’t understand Heupel’s offense” route… I promise you I do. That’s why I picked UT to lose by 21 in Athens last fall

I think the statement itself is a blanket, asinine statement. Our receivers can get further down the field the longer we block, so we need guys that can give our QB time to showcase their talent. Our OL played decently last year, but Hooker had to hit people all over the field in tight situations to edge out some games. I watched Milton’s game against Clemson the other night, and the OLs played an incredible and important role in that game. Still, Milton had to make some tough throws. He made them. It seems to me he is only getting better, which defies this guy’s statement.

It also doesn’t hurt Heupel has played at a high level at that position. While Heupel deserves credit for how well we have done and the improvements made in both of our WBs, I think he is getting a little too much of the credit. Our talent at OL AND QB were instrumental in that game, among others and we actually NEED MORE talent at the OL position, not less.

Then there is the running game aspect to Heupel’s offense that is completely ignored by this statement. Most people talk about the passing game when they reference our win over Alabama, but we ran for 182 yards in that game. That is as much of a testament to our OL as it is the running backs. When is the last time we put up those numbers on a defense like that? Heupel and company are clearly improving our talent along the OL.

With regards to the response about defense, that just adds to the ridiculousness of his entire statement. He is referencing how much time our defense is on the field when our offense is successful. The reason our defense was so bad last year is because we needed more top tier talent on D.

So, it absolutely matters who is on D. If our defense stays on the field for most of the game, then we need talented players on the field for most of the game. Not just a few guys who play the entire time.

I think this actually gives us a recruiting advantage, because the guys that we do land won’t be fighting for a number of snaps. Ultimately, everyone with the capability to perform on defense will get plenty of snaps as long as our offense keeps scoring quickly.

If Heupel keeps having the success on offense and recruits enough players on defense to get off the field quickly throughout the game (as opposed to gassing out), the other teams will never see the ball lol. Ultimately this will increase our margin of victory. Sounds like a winning formula to me as long as we stack our roster with talent.

I hope everyone misjudges us and we destroy teams as we continue to get better and we continue to recruit at a high level. What Heupel and company have done with the talent we had is miraculous. I have always liked Heupel, albeit I was with many initially on the hire. I would like to see him succeed for him as much as anyone else.

Last edited:
Reactions: DuckInAPen
Jalen Carter pretty much abused us last year.
But the evidence still doesn't support his statement. That's one game. Pitt, Fla, LSU, Bama, KY, & Clemson had good DLines and they all got destroyed. Then you add to the fact that we had an Elite OT come to UT and actually got better in this system. Before CJH and company got here I'm not sure Wright was on path to be a top 10 pick.

How do you minimize your system advantage by adding more talented players? This statement was made by some numbers dip***t that forgot why we actually play the game.

Reactions: luthervol
First of all, I realize this is a Georgia media guy of some sort, so we have to automatically take what he says with a grain of salt for a lot of reasons. However, I'm also wondering if there is any sort of grain of truth to what he says. If the answer is 'no,' please explain your rationale with something besides a blanket dismissal or blind trust. My instinct is that he's wrong as well, but I want to know some solid reasons for why that's the case.

Here's a link to the first tweet (there are several). For those of you on the platform, probably worth looking at the responses and some of his answers to those.

The ironic part of Tennessee beginning to recruit well is that Tennessee is running a system that is designed to dramatically lessen the need for talent at OT and QB… It’s a law of diminishing returns. Over time, Heupel will actually be minimizing the talent advantage he’s built

Guess what guys? The best way to use blue-chips isn’t to run a offense with 4 patterns in the tree. There’s a reason nobody is running the old Baylor stuff anymore. If the Vols recruit 5* OL one day, Heupel’s system will hold back their potential

There is a reason that teams with elite lines aren’t hiring someone to run this offense for them. Good DL’s have shredded it for 20 yrs.

You don’t like hearing it, but if UT starts to recruit like an elite program you’ll soon find yourselves calling for changes in the scheme

There’s a lot of you going the “you don’t understand Heupel’s offense” route… I promise you I do. That’s why I picked UT to lose by 21 in Athens last fall

Go with your own instincts, ahead of his. Sports news and discussion has become almost as bad as politics!

Social media is all about clicks and this guy seems to be sensationalizing his statement to appeal to his Bulldog fan base. Taking that into consideration, I think he is just repeating the old adage that defense and ball control (when it matters at the end of a game) is necessary to win championships. I don't disagree with that. I also think you need a fantastic offense which Heupel has delivered. Defense and surgical ball control will come to us as we keep building up our roster. Then we will see Heupel hit the gas and the brakes as necessary in game situations. To quote another VN member..."they scared"! lol

Yup, and the neediest, whiniest fan base in sports needs more reassurance than a labrador.

Looking forward to the Georgia fan base meltdown when they inevitably come crashing down to earth again.

Lol. The sad part is they haven't and won't change. Needy. Whinny. Constantly needing reassurance. Same annoying fanbase.

Jalen Carter pretty much abused us last year.

Ah. I knew the VolDawg contingent would need to remind us of the loss and pour some praise on uga. Like clockwork. Thanks!

Makes zero sense. Better players will amplify the system. If it helps equalize the playing field for teams with less skill, it will separate teams with equal skill. That's the spread offense in general, not just the Veer N Shoot. The system helps OL by having closer splits. They won't have Jalen Carter every year.

Nobody else runs Baylor's system because it's not a traditional way of thinking, just like everyone use to run I Formation and thought Spread was a gimmick.

We were outgunned by UGA last year and their fanbase operating off of a collective singular brain cell is trying to make it out to be them shutting the offense down like they've figured it out.
Exactly, Jalen Carter pretty much single-handedly destroyed our chances against UGA last year. If we had a 5 star OL, we might have won the game.

Reactions: Vol865
I believe the fact that Hendon was drafted 2nd round and that Darnell was drafted 10th overall , their comments just bore me and irrelevant. Just another way to try and negatively recruit against us. First it’s been the NCAA investigation, now it’s the offense. Same Ol Shiff different year.
Hendon was drafted in the 3rd rd my dude.

I'm no analyst of football, but I do recognize there is such as thing as that (the triple option, let's say). but it seems to me more likely that if Tennessee spreads the field sideline to sideline everybody else will also do so. I don't know enough to know the advantages of using a smaller part of the field on offense. My experience playing the game 40 years ago (3 + cloud of dust) is that the bigger of area of the field you want to use, the more talent you require. Seemed pretty hard to hit those 60 yard bombs in high school with a bunch of white Appalachian players. Just my very very limited experience.

If something works with bad players, you gotta ask yourself why in the world would it not work with good players. Sometimes there's a reason. Somebody would have to explain what that is here.

I'm no analyst of football, but I do recognize there is such as thing as that (the triple option, let's say). but it seems to me more likely that if Tennessee spreads the field sideline to sideline everybody else will also do so. I don't know enough to know the advantages of using a smaller part of the field on offense. My experience playing the game 40 years ago (3 + cloud of dust) is that the bigger of area of the field you want to use, the more talent you require. Seemed pretty hard to hit those 60 yard bombs in high school with a bunch of white Appalachian players. Just my very very limited experience.

If something works with bad players, you gotta ask yourself why in the world would it not work with good players. Sometimes there's a reason. Somebody would have to explain what that is here.
Deon Sanders Colorado team was doing it during their spring game. USF was doing it aswell (Alex Golesh is there so it makes sense).

. I knew the VolDawg contingent would need to remind us of the loss and pour some praise on uga. Like clockwork. Thanks!
Stop using the same inane response every time somebody mentions UGA. It’s weird.

Our O-line was pretty good all year long, but Jalen Carter returned for that game and caused problems for us up front. I hated it, but he’s just good.

This article is just typical preseason clickbait. Its premise is laughable.

The guy is an idiot.
What he doesn't understand and doesn;t want to hear is the fact that Heupel has ALWAYS run an offense that maximizes the talent he has.
There is nothing to indicate that will not continue to be the case.

I think the main criticism of Heupel's offense for WRs is that the route tree is very short, and doesn't prepare WRs for the NFL. Jalen Hyatt is a round 1 talent who went in 3rd or 4th round.

Just drawing attention to himself. Apparently he hasn't checked our rushing numbers from last year

VN Store

Back