Recruiting Declaration - No room for debate

Fullfillmer

Ok - I always know that there will be room for debate because this is Vol Nation. Having said that I have two things to declare.

1. Tennessee already has a top 10 recruiting class and it is the month of May. 2. Ohio State already has a top 5 recruiting class and it is the month of May.

Tennessee's 259.74 points on 247 if applied to last years recruiting would have placed us in 11 th place right behind Tennessee who was 10th but since we are Tennessee and can't compete with ourselves that puts us in the top 10 with this class applied retroactively to last year. Ohio State's 2687 works the same exact way and would have put them in 5th.

On Rival's our 2213 would have landed us at 11 th but since Tennessee was 7th in that service - would drop us to 10th if we were not competing with ourselves. Again it works that way for Ohio State as well.

I really think that the narrative should be that Tennessee and Ohio State are killing it in recruiting. Who would expect anyone to have a top 5 class by May 22nd?

Oh yeah …. last I checked we are competing for and in on 23 four 4 star plus prospects. I fully expect us to land one or two of them in the next 9 months.

Bout to get real on Rocky Top.

Ok - I always know that there will be room for debate because this is Vol Nation. Having said that I have two things to declare.

1. Tennessee already has a top 10 recruiting class and it is the month of May. 2. Ohio State already has a top 5 recruiting class and it is the month of May.

Tennessee's 259.74 points on 247 if applied to last years recruiting would have placed us in 11 th place right behind Tennessee who was 10th but since we are Tennessee and can't compete with ourselves that puts us in the top 10 with this class applied retroactively to last year. Ohio State's 2687 works the same exact way and would have put them in 5th.

On Rival's our 2213 would have landed us at 11 th but since Tennessee was 7th in that service - would drop us to 10th if we were not competing with ourselves. Again it works that way for Ohio State as well.

I really think that the narrative should be that Tennessee and Ohio State are killing it in recruiting. Who would expect anyone to have a top 5 class by May 22nd?

Oh yeah …. last I checked we are competing for and in on 23 four 4 star plus prospects. I fully expect us to land one or two of them in the next 9 months.

Bout to get real on Rocky Top.

Our class size limit is almost reached so if we are still heavily recruiting 23 other players our staff expects a lot of our current commitment to decommit or be recruited over.

Our class size limit is almost reached so if we are still heavily recruiting 23 other players our staff expects a lot of our current commitment to decommit or be recruited over.

Is 'Blue Shirting' an option? I would think it possibly could, due to Corona. Per the NCAA site:
... a blue shirt is a prospect who was “not recruited” in NCAA terms, meaning he did not take an official visit to the school (such players can still take and unofficial, though) and the coaches didn’t make a home visit to that individual. If the prospect fits those parameters, he can be put on scholarship once practice starts and that scholarship will count towards the next class and not the past one.

Could Pruitt have a master plan with some of these guys that fit the criteria?

Blueshirting would be an option but then it would limit 2022 class. It happens, but is kinda shortsighted.

Reactions: 08Vol
Anyone do a good roster analysis lately? What’s our current scholly number? It’s possible we could only squeeze 23 last year if we took more before, but I’ve also heard 28 from several places.

We will finish somewhere between 5th and 12th in the recruiting rankings but will have one of the best classes. Why? Many 3 stars will be hurt by no summer camps. Had There been camps this summer, 3 to 5 of our commits would be bumped up to 4 stars. I trust Coach Pruitt's talent evaluation about any recruiting service. I am hearing that 5 to 7 of our lower recruits will end up somewhere else. We will more than likely lose a couple that we do not want to lose also. All that said, we still have work to do to finish out this recruiting class!!! But we have upgraded our coaching staff in the area of recruiting BIG TIME!!!!!!!!

I remember last year all the loud whining about how we were in trouble because we had so few commits. Now this year it's that we got too many 3*. It's a long time before Pruitt closes the deal here and he always closes well. With all the time he has I can only see this getting better by December.

I remember last year all the loud whining about how we were in trouble because we had so few commits. Now this year it's that we got too many 3*. It's a long time before Pruitt closes the deal here and he always closes well. With all the time he has I can only see this getting better by December.

Yeah, we're in the best position in May in CJP's tenure it appears. It's just the "hottest recruiting in the nation" fervor will inevitably give way to good "Top 10 Class" before the faxes are all completed next winter. That is unless we process several lower rated players and replace with elite rated players. And that can have it's drawback too. I'm happy with where we're at and also appreciate the off-season media hype coming our way.

Reactions: 08Vol and CR-vol
So all this recruiting fuss is that we’re happy we got the same class as last year, but got them faster?

Time will tell. But, the blue font may not be needed. I'd predict better than last year in the #6-9 range after some attrition and replacement.

I tried out for soccer my freshman year. Not football, I know, but the point is relevant. I was definitely a subpar athlete and that's me being kind to myself, but I wanted to play, so I tried out. The coach looked over the field and decided he wasn't cutting anyone that day. I have no doubt that he was a smart man. He proved it later. I was a liability every time I came off the bench, but my team mates played HARD to cover my deficiencies. Half the time I had some medical issues that kept me from going to games. I actually played in 2. I would say they went undefeated that year , but in their own words, WE went undefeated , because they played for me and each other. So "we " tied McCallie (Chattanooga) , which was the only other undefeated team that year , for a split title. It's not apples to apples, but the sum of a teams parts can far exceed it's individuals. Whatever our ranking is at the end of the year, I'm not concerned with stars.

The hand wringing over class average and downplaying our class because of our number of recruits needs to stop. If you’re still looking at numbers in May and comparing it to a full class of last year and say “so what?” You really don’t understand recruiting. UT probably won’t have a top 5 class in 2021. Georgia, Bama, and others will jump us..... that’s FINE. Those of you looking at the numbers on 247 and not getting excited about it are fools. These commits are not our final class. I’ve seen Pruitt and company close strong both years in cases such as To’o’To’o, Crouch, and D Wright. You think there aren’t 5-7 players of that caliber looking at us? With the foundation laid for an already great class, the coaches and players can focus on the big fish. Signing days not tomorrow. It’s next year. Get excited folks... it’s ok.

We will finish top 5 .If we beat one of or two of Oklahoma Florida Georgia Alabama and show that we are a Top 10 team we may close with Top Class in SEC. Why because some 5 star talent really like this staff and School and city just need to compete with the top 10 schools on our schedule. Philippians 4:6:7

As long as coach Pruitt and the other coaches get the players they want to fit ourteam,I don't care where we are ranked in a top ten.
great post why look at how many kids become NFL players that were not top 200. Several of our commits have only played 1 or 2 years of Football but the Athletic gift is there if they commit to being the best player they can become. Today Trinity Bell prime Example Raw but extremely gifted.

Reactions: fifties fan
As a retired Teacher and Coach I would request the instate commits to take advantage of the Hope Scholarship Proo. This would free up two spots. When a true football scholarship opens up they would receive that open School. They can do this as long as they do not sign the Letter Of Intent. They can sign a Financial Aid Letter that is not a true Athletic Scholarship. Just a thought.

We will finish somewhere between 5th and 12th in the recruiting rankings but will have one of the best classes. Why? Many 3 stars will be hurt by no summer camps. Had There been camps this summer, 3 to 5 of our commits would be bumped up to 4 stars. I trust Coach Pruitt's talent evaluation about any recruiting service. I am hearing that 5 to 7 of our lower recruits will end up somewhere else. We will more than likely lose a couple that we do not want to lose also. All that said, we still have work to do to finish out this recruiting class!!! But we have upgraded our coaching staff in the area of recruiting BIG TIME!!!!!!!!

Bingo. Bell, Salter, and that big OL out of NC would have likely been bumped to consensus four stars. I am assuming that alot of these recruiting services will re-rate near the end of the high school football season now based on film and the eye test. This will likely be the least accurately rated class for all schools as far as the services go.

VN Store

Back