Recruiting…anyone worried?

I'm very interested with recruiting this year, though. Something I find supremely interesting is the national perception that Lane Kiffin is an ACE recruiter. His recruiting at Ole Miss has been pretty crappy, and it's not good right now.

Take a look at 247, they have a BAD class. It's perplexing.

Reactions: VolNash17
Remember every team we are competing against for players is saying UT will be slammed by the NCAA. Until the NCAA issues are resolved recruiting will be an up hill battle.

I've seen this excuse thrown around religiously.
First of all nobody is in the living room of recruits so no, we don't know what other teams are saying. We're not some juggernaut that other schools are afraid of. You think Saban and Kirby are trying to persuade a recruit from coming here because of sanctions? Saban can show both hands with rings and they both can whip out a chart with all the players they've sent to the NFL. Nevermind our record against them

2. What sanctions are even possible to put off a recruit? We're nowhere near fighting for the east so it's not like we're going to be in the hunt for an sec championship much less a national title. A bowl ban? Not a big deal really. Scholly reductions? Hurts some but not as much as people think if they believe the portal is a savior.

3. You're not building a roster from the portal. It's to fill a few gaps not to use for an entire 2nd team. And again, the top guys in the portal will still get cherry picked by the top teams if it's a position of need.

4. Blows my mind people can't see the top teams are the ones with the highest recruiting classes. So yes I'm worried about recruiting in the 30s. Hell I'm worried about being outside the top 10 cause even then your in the middle of the pack in the sec. Problem is you don't get top classes without playing for championships and putting a lot of guys in the NFL so it's a double edge sword. We need 2 of bama, Georgia or Florida to collapse to make up ground. Clemson would be nice to

Definitely worried.

I would think offensive skill positions would be dying to sign up for the CJH fireworks... yet we're not seeing it.

Hope and pray we're hitting the transfer portal jackpot that's just sitting there waiting to be scooped up.

You gotta love the need to add all the "to win championships..." comments.

We know that. Save your keyboard the wear and tear.

And we ain't winning championships any time soon. Let's get the NCAA uncertainty off the table and then start talking about championships.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
no, ole boy took a 3-7 team and talent leaving and turned in a nice season. Nice year to plug a few kids in with portal kids taking notice. Next year, if we are not in the Top 15 recruiting then maybe.

I'm very interested with recruiting this year, though. Something I find supremely interesting is the national perception that Lane Kiffin is an ACE recruiter. His recruiting at Ole Miss has been pretty crappy, and it's not good right now.

Take a look at 247, they have a BAD class. It's perplexing.
Everyone pays recruits right now, and I mean everyone if you’re a competitive program. Hard to sale Ole Miss when you’re competing with other programs that use the exact same tactics.

Heupel will never be the recruiter Pruitt was or Smart is and I mean never. It’s not bc he’s a terrible recruiter, it’s bc he won’t pay for a kid to come play here and right now with the investigation no one else is going to pay a kid to come here either. Once investigation is gone two things happen, 1)other programs can’t use that against us in recruiting and 2)business as usual will start up again.

Reactions: RhodesVol
We will have to hit the transfer portal hard.
I think we will pick up some instant players via the portal and Juco. College players are more in tune with what is really going on in other programs. They've learned the ropes so to speak. What questions to ask and who to ask. I've got to believe our current players will be the biggest recruiters on convincing players to get on the "Heup Train".

Reactions: sunnyvol79
Exactly!!!!!! We will probably be hit hard on scholarships by the NCAA since we self imposed on ourselves. You are never going to compete against Bama, UGA, OSU etc. in recruiting until we start winning and that will have to be done by the majority 3 stars and the few 4 stars we get that buy into CJH's culture just like what happened this year. CJH and staff will recruit what they can and then hit the portal for those transfers that can immediately help.

We're not going to get hit hard by the NCAA, probation and maybe some reduction in official visits.

I've seen this excuse thrown around religiously.
First of all nobody is in the living room of recruits so no, we don't know what other teams are saying. We're not some juggernaut that other schools are afraid of. You think Saban and Kirby are trying to persuade a recruit from coming here because of sanctions? Saban can show both hands with rings and they both can whip out a chart with all the players they've sent to the NFL. Nevermind our record against them

2. What sanctions are even possible to put off a recruit? We're nowhere near fighting for the east so it's not like we're going to be in the hunt for an sec championship much less a national title. A bowl ban? Not a big deal really. Scholly reductions? Hurts some but not as much as people think if they believe the portal is a savior.

3. You're not building a roster from the portal. It's to fill a few gaps not to use for an entire 2nd team. And again, the top guys in the portal will still get cherry picked by the top teams if it's a position of need.

4. Blows my mind people can't see the top teams are the ones with the highest recruiting classes. So yes I'm worried about recruiting in the 30s. Hell I'm worried about being outside the top 10 cause even then your in the middle of the pack in the sec. Problem is you don't get top classes without playing for championships and putting a lot of guys in the NFL so it's a double edge sword. We need 2 of bama, Georgia or Florida to collapse to make up ground. Clemson would be nice to

To address the points, in the best way that I can:

1. I doubt that Kirby or Saban are hitting us with negative recruiting, but you can reasonably assume that Mark Stoops is for mid-state kids. And, I would anticipate that any other school's coaches will use the spectre of NCAA punishment to their advantage when recruiting against Tennessee for a player. Now, we're not in the rooms, but Price and Hubbs have definitively stated that recruits (and their families) have told them that the threat of NCAA issues is being used against UT on the recruiting trail.

2. Bowl bans are the big issue with the recruits. Price has stated anecdotaly that kids have been told that UT is going to get a 4 year bowl ban. While that is ludicrous, a lot of these kids don't necessarily know that, and whether we older fans believe bowls to be meaningless or not, a lot of high school kids see playing in the post season as some sort of accomplishment. Bigger than that, though, is that coaches recruiting players can make the NCAA into a boogeyman where the perception of the possible penalties are worse than the penalty itself. Just the idea that a school is going to "get hammered" becomes a perception issue that could scare families away.

3. Fully agree that you have to continue to recruit high school talent and develop it. Otherwise the portal players are just stop-gap measures for holes that will continue to open up every season.

4. I don't disagree with this, but I also don't think that worrying about the 2022 class is a great use of our time. This class isn't going to be great. It'll likely be top 20's, maybe even inside the top 20, but the staff just had too much ground to make up. Recruiting is the relationship business, and they haven't had a ton of time to build relationships in UT's recruiting footprint, nor were they recruiting the caliber players at UCF that are needed here to succeed. I think future classes will be better, but I agree that they need to be a lot better for us to get back to winning championships.

Reactions: KHVol
Very worried. Not going to beat UGA UF and Bama with 86s and 87s. Hope he does better in the portal than he does in high schools.

Reactions: VolNash17
We're not going to get hit hard by the NCAA, probation and maybe some reduction in official visits.

I bet they self-impose a scholarship reduction against the 85 limit, but with our reduced numbers, we won't necessarilly feel that problem. A scholarship reduction doesn't impact the 25 initial counters you can sign each year, and it will take a few seasons before taking a full class would be impacted by 15 scholarship reduction spread over five years (3 per year).

Biggest thing that I hate is the state of TN is finally producing some top talent, yet they are all going everywhere else. Rivals Top 20, UT doesn't have their first commit until #14. Lots of 4 star players in the mid state, but Michigan, Kentucky, Georgia, even Miami are beating UT for all of them. Then look at Georgia a state with better talent, 6 of their top 15 are going to Athens. I don't think in-state recruiting is as important as we sometimes make it out to be, but to be doing this poorly in state is my main recruiting concern.

If he can recruit Tillman and Hooker to stay next year, I don't care what this class is rated. Hit on a couple of kids from the portal, and that will blunt the sting. Trying to build relationships etc in year one, coupled with the NCAA cloud over the program, this class was destined to be rough. Get those 2 to stay, win 9-10 games next year, and the rest sells itself.

If Tillman & Hooker return = "Landing 2 -10 Star*s"

Preach Brother...PREACH!

giphy.gif

Nope. Nothing I can do about it, why would I worry? It is what it is.

He’s gonna have to make it in transfer portal this year. Remember this staff wasn’t able to get off campus until June. Unrealistic to expect them to build relationships with players & families that beat schools who have been working kids for 2-3 yrs.

Add to it Pruitt completely poisoned the instate recruiting

Biggest thing that I hate is the state of TN is finally producing some top talent, yet they are all going everywhere else. Rivals Top 20, UT doesn't have their first commit until #14. Lots of 4 star players in the mid state, but Michigan, Kentucky, Georgia, even Miami are beating UT for all of them. Then look at Georgia a state with better talent, 6 of their top 15 are going to Athens. I don't think in-state recruiting is as important as we sometimes make it out to be, but to be doing this poorly in state is my main recruiting concern.
Most of middle Tennessee is from other areas and Tennessee hasn’t had a great team in any of these kids lifetime. Add in we’ve looked like a sideshow for years as well.

VN Store

Back