Recommendations for local beers

I know it was still kicking 6 years ago, what happened? Spill the dirt!!

Alan, to my understanding, is being reserved with these articles. Kind of crazy, because I enjoyed the spot a lot back when it was Marble City.

Saw Works Brewing Company: A Story of Promise and of Promises Broken (Part One of Two)

Saw Works Brewing Company: A Story of Promise and of Promises Broken (Part Two of Two)

Downtown Grill and Brewery's beer is excellent? Yeah, your judgement is terrible in more than just politics...

I don't want to make this a dick-measuring contest, but I will absolutely guarantee that I've been to more "premium" breweries (domestically and abroad) than you've even heard of. Downtown Grill and Brewery truly does have an eminently-enjoyable beer list that isn't ******** concept art masquerading as a beer a la so many of the young Knoxville breweries, and I unequivocally question the taste and motives of anyone unwilling to recognize that fact.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
Heading to Knoxville for the game this weekend. Need recommendations on the best beer venues for friday night - breweries, bottle shops, and/or sports bars with great Local tap lists. Thanks for any recommendations.

Just to follow up - we tried a couple of local places (based on Yelp ratings) - neither were very good. Ended up at High Wire (an Asheville brewery with a location in Knoxville), it was passable. We went to Asheville after the game and got some good beer (not High Wire)

Just to follow up - we tried a couple of local places (based on Yelp ratings) - neither were very good. Ended up at High Wire (an Asheville brewery with a location in Knoxville), it was passable. We went to Asheville after the game and got some good beer (not High Wire)

Which ones?

The only brewery I've been to yet in Knoxville that I didn't care for was Downtown Grill & Brewery. Some of the others are better or worse, but that's the only one I wouldn't recommend.

Knoxville beer scene is not very good.

Knoxville beer scene is not very good.

Compared to Asheville, probably not... but compared to other southern cities this size, Knoxville is alright. Moved here from Baton Rouge, which is around the same size, and Knoxville is light years better.

When I left Baton Rouge had two breweries... one of which sucked and the other put out some good beers but had consistency issues. There are another at least 5 in the works in the metro area, but that's lagging way behind.

Which ones?

The only brewery I've been to yet in Knoxville that I didn't care for was Downtown Grill & Brewery. Some of the others are better or worse, but that's the only one I wouldn't recommend.

Printshop and Last Days of Autumn. The food at Last Days of Autumn was ok, beer was just ok. The one I had a Printshop I couldn't even finish - it tasted like seltzer water.

Compared to Asheville, probably not... but compared to other southern cities this size, Knoxville is alright. Moved here from Baton Rouge, which is around the same size, and Knoxville is light years better.

When I left Baton Rouge had two breweries... one of which sucked and the other put out some good beers but had consistency issues. There are another at least 5 in the works in the metro area, but that's lagging way behind.

Probably true - in NC, we have Asheville, Charlotte and Raleigh all of which have some high quality breweries - maybe Knoxville will approach that in the future. I will say that the scene is much better than the last time I went to a game (I think it was two years ago)

Not worth it: Smoky Mountain/Copper Cellar (big time lol to the dingus that suggested it), Downtown Grill

My personal suggestions: Abridged, Last Days of Autumn

Every other brewery in Knoxville is solid, and I wouldn't steer you away from any others.

VN Store

Back