Really...Tauren Poole? another Arian Foster?

I said all season that Poole ran, and fell down, like he was afraid to get hurt. I got bashed for it too. I said he would have good combines, get drafted or at least picked up in free agency, and that is what he had on his mind. He was a 3* with "potential" coming in, but had 3 coaching changes. He wasn't putting it on the line for cdd.

I don't think the oline was great but I think they got a worse wrap because of pooles running. No one was afraid of him, so they could play our line like it. I wish him the best. I just hope he didn't get in the minds of our current rbs that our line sux so bad you r just gonna get hurt. At the same time hurting our olines confidence.

In digesting Poole's 2010 vs 2011 performances, the one factor that I think deserves more attention is Matt Simms' ability to read a defense and make changes at the line of scrimmage as opposed to Tyler Bray. Poole's best running games in 2011 came with Simms at QB. It is definitely a part of Bray's game that needs improving.

Agree. In addition, how much of it is not knowing/understanding versus knowing, but thinking he can beat the defense with his arm.

In the four SEC games Bray played in he went 75 of 152 (49%) with 6 TDs and 6 INT's. He did not face BAMA, LSU or SC. That's pretty scary.

Florida was before the thumb injury, he threw the ball 48 times, despite the injury to Hunter. 26 of 48 for 3 TD's and 2 picks. 22 times something negative happened, either an INT or an incompletion. That's a lot of empty plays.

He played a stellar game against Cincinatti, but that's about it for 2011.

Agree. In addition, how much of it is not knowing/understanding versus knowing, but thinking he can beat the defense with his arm.

In the four SEC games Bray played in he went 75 of 152 (49%) with 6 TDs and 6 INT's. He did not face BAMA, LSU or SC. That's pretty scary.

Florida was before the thumb injury, he threw the ball 48 times, despite the injury to Hunter. 26 of 48 for 3 TD's and 2 picks. 22 times something negative happened, either an INT or an incompletion. That's a lot of empty plays.

He played a stellar game against Cincinatti, but that's about it for 2011.

I like this breakdown. I've never understood why people here think Bray will leave after next year. Not only is it advisable for QBs to stay 4 years in general, but Bray's stats are helped by the fact that he hasn't played quality SEC competition. Poor Simms on the other hand was thrown to the lions both years.

I like this breakdown. I've never understood why people here think Bray will leave after next year. Not only is it advisable for QBs to stay 4 years in general, but Bray's stats are helped by the fact that he hasn't played quality SEC competition. Poor Simms on the other hand was thrown to the lions both years.

He has enormous potential, but the comparisons to elite QB's he gets here at times are pretty outrageous.

Simms is the son of an NFL QB, so he like Peyton, had a bit of a head start with the mental aspect of the game. Bray is behind the curve there, but it's about study.

He's got the physical tools to be able to excel at the position, but he has to realize that he can't simply rely on what's God given.

As this relates to Poole, or any other RB, imagine standing back there, seeing the defense and waiting for a call that doesn't come, or realizing you're not properly aligned for pass protection or the QB not getting the defense to tip it's hand before the snap, identifying the Mike or a blitz. It can be very frustrating.

AF was rising star after his mid-season breakout performance during the 2005 campaign.

Then Cutcliffe came back with his short passing game and AF took to the back seat for in favor of the Eric Ainge show.

He had a 1,200 yard season under Cut.

His biggest problem is he isn't fast and goes down on the first hit and Neyland stadium had alot of tackles on TP. He doesn't run people over and isn't very physical. AF was a good RB for UT he just had some fumbles at the worst possible times.

He isn't fast but I bet he runs a sub 4.6 at the combine. His first contact was usually 2 yards behind the line especially this year.

Why?

His success in the NFL doesn't mean he was very good his last year here. The OL sucked, but it falls on the backs too.

Foster was pretty bad his last year here too. NFL success doesn't change it.

It doesn't change much just proves how much some people know on these boards.....very little.

Reactions: 1 person
You don't honestly think they will draft someone without studying them do you? Really?

It has happened before, guys like Al Davis and Jerry Jones did it more than once. I am saying they study the first couple rounds a lot more than the last two. This is how guys like Drew Henson get drafted.

I wish poole the best of luck.. I really think it was the blocking that hurt his stats and perception. He is a good back and a great guy.. VFL

Too much is made about speed, Poole can be a good addition to an NFL team, all about where you get drafted and how you fit their scheme.

Much is made about Arian Foster's sccuess and not to take away from Foster but say he gets drafted by a team that doesn't block like Houston's OLine does and doesn't run a zone blocking scheme ( which he fits into perfectly) the guy could be an insurance salesman right now.

Good luck to Poole.

This post is not directed at anyone. It is disappointing to read some of this stuff. Arian Foster is second all time in career rushing yards. Only Travis Henry had more. Foster is first all time in career carries, by nearly 100 carries, think about that. Knock off 89 carries, maybe the fumbles don't happen, and he still would be the all time leader in school history. He's 3rd all time in attempts in one game at 40. He currently sits at 10th for yards gained in a season. He is 9th in career 100 yard games, currently tied with none other than Tauren Poole.

Most of the backs on UT's leading rusher lists compiled 3 seasons worth of stats. It is worth noting that only one back in school history, Johnnie Jones ever had back to back 1000 yard seasons. No one else has done it in the history of UT Football.

Which brings us to Poole. He currently sits at 14th for yards in one season. In other words, only 13 backs have done better. As previously stated he is tied at 9th on the list of career 100 yard games. Foster had 650 carries in his career Poole had 423, others on that list: Travis Henry(15), Jay Graham(14), Jamal Lewis and Jonnie Jones, each with (13). In my opinion, that's rarified air.

He did it in, basically, two seasons of work and of more importance, everyone of the other guys had a better offensive line.

It's bigger than that. He suffered through Dave Clawson. He suffered through Lane Kiffin. He Stayed! Bryce Brown was GIVEN the keys as was David Oku to a lesser extent. They Left, Poole Stayed.

I can't think of another RB in recent times that has had a rougher go of it, and yet the 3 star running back is the one in the record books and the 4 and 5 star players he competed with won't require a footnote in that record book, nor do they deserve one. If Tauren Poole isn't a VFL, who is?

I wish him nothing but the best of luck. GBO!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people

VN Store

Back