Reality of Our Situation

Maybe it is just that I am a realist or maybe even a Debbie Downer. However, I have read many posts over the past couple of weeks that seem to have me feeling we are elite again.

The reality of our situation is this:

We are 7-5; not 10-2 or even 9-3 but a seven win team. Those seven wins are against very bad teams with one of those teams (UAB) not having a single impressive win. On top of that, we got beat by Ga State and BYU!

On getting beat by BYU and Ga State as well as who we actually beat, we do not have a coach of the year coach! We, Tennessee fans, are very fond of two of our receivers this year. However, neither are going to win any awards or go in the first round or even the second of the NFL draft!

We had a record setting RB tonight. He set the record against a typical Vandy team with a losing record! In fact, the previous record was set against a Georgia team.

When we have break out, record setting performances against teams who are ranked and we win those games, then COY honors and All-American statuses can be proclaimed.

On to maintaining the Butch standard in beating lesser quality teams at the end of the season and then beating some over ranked Iowa, Nebraska or whichever the over ranked bowl opponent we have!
LOL. IF you can’t enjoy your hobby/past time get a new one. Or maybe your true hobby is trying to make others feel miserable like you...

Reactions: coach799
Maybe it is just that I am a realist or maybe even a Debbie Downer. However, I have read many posts over the past couple of weeks that seem to have me feeling we are elite again.

We are 7-5; not 10-2 or even 9-3 but a seven win team. Those seven wins are against very bad teams with one of those teams (UAB) not having a single impressive win. On top of that, we got beat by Ga State and BYU!

On getting beat by BYU and Ga State as well as who we actually beat, we do not have a coach of the year coach! We, Tennessee fans, are very fond of two of our receivers this year. However, neither are going to win any awards or go in the first round or even the second of the NFL draft!

We had a record setting RB tonight. He set the record against a typical Vandy team with a losing record! In fact, the previous record was set against a Georgia team.

When we have break out, record setting performances against teams who are ranked and we win those games, then COY honors and All-American statuses can be proclaimed.

On to maintaining the Butch standard in beating lesser quality teams at the end of the season and then beating some over ranked Iowa, Nebraska or whichever the over ranked bowl opponent we have!

Would your view have changed had we beaten GA St or BYU and ended up 9-3? I mean if that had happened the only difference is that we would be in the top 25. Still wouldn't have beaten a decent team. Actually I guess at the time of the SC win SC wasn't a bad team. They had just beaten UGA.

UGA and LSU won at least 7, they are in the conference, I believe we are all in the SEC, unless something has changed.
He said “only 4 teams with a BETTER conference record”.....UGA and LSU are two of those four.

Reactions: Remy
We are not in bottom tier of sec - we are in the upper half and need more talent to get to top four mix of lsu, bummer, ga, and fla to really compete and beat those teams. After the first two games this year it was looking pretty bad for our program. We have won our last five games and winning helps with team morale and buy in. Our program is trending in the right direction and I am enjoying the ride.

So you're saying we should be mad about the season? If that's the case, what should we do to be better?
I saw some complaining about the great bb season last year being a disappointment because we didn’t make the FF. I thoroughly appreciated the bb team last year making us relevant and being number 1 for awhile. I thoroughly enjoyed watching this football team grow up in front of our eyes. They reminded me of my grandkids crawling, then one day figuring out walking is better. This team never quit as in previous years and I for one appreciate the effort and am very proud of where we are. I have hope for the first time in years.

Why not just watch and enjoy games? Our guys are enjoyable and worth rooting for. Our program history and tradition is one of the best in all of CFB. How are you personally victimized if someone else wants to believe their team that they love is on the way to greatness? Why would you be influenced by other fans reactions as opposed to what you have witnessed? How about we learn to stay in our lane, determine our level of fandom and expectation and keep quiet on the persecution of someone with a different opinion. I can’t determine if some fans fear excitement or disappointment, or both.

Oh, in case no one noticed...
Conference Record 2019
Florida 6-2
Alabubba 6-2
Tennessee 5-3

PS... yes we know GA state/BYU blah blah blah
PPS... only 4 SEC teams with a better conference record than Tennessee
Georgia(4), Florida(11), LSU(2), and Alabama(5). We tied Auburn(15).
Bingo!!!! Not 1 soul picked us to finish 5th overall in the SEC this year when we were sitting at 1-4

Reactions: Remy
7-5 is something to be happy about. Especially considering where this program has been over the past several years. We’re going in the right direction and I’ll remain optimistic for the future of Tennessee football under CJP. GBO!

Reactions: coach799

You don't go from the basement to the penthouse in one move! We are improving and it's enjoyable after the start of the year. Just enjoy the ride and give up your hopes of firing Pruitt! You definitely display traits of that group from earlier this year!

GO VOLS!!!

Seriously, you can't enjoy the improvement so you want to make sure no one else enjoys it. SMH Just so you know how it works. You don't wake up one morning and you are an elite team. You have to work, improve and turn things around. We have done that. Do you understand the fact that some of the teams we beat have losing records because we beat them. Not the KY is a powerhouse but we beat them at home. Never mind I can't help you. You still think the sky is falling.

Reactions: FïreBall
I think you are confusing people with enjoying Tennessee football again with “we are back and are an elite team.” There is no way we are elite in any sense of the word. But to be elite and to be back, we have to beat Vandy, Mizzou, UK, USCjr, and Miss. State. Baby steps man... baby steps... it’s been a while since we’ve beaten the teams we are supposed to always beat.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
We are not elite but we certainly do not suck which is a major improvement over the last two years. The bowl game will tell us how much we have improved overall other than the fact we are actually going to a bowl game which is a goal that they accomplished this year.

Reactions: Rickyvol77

Dude we were just 4-8 2yrs ago. Idc who we beat this year, we went from doormat of the league to middle of the pack in just under 2 years. We are proud of the progress made becuase we all recently witnessed the worse season in program history. There are levels to winning. USCjr, KY, and Vandy used to be an automatic W but not in the last decade. In order for us to get back to the elite status we have to consistently beat those teams every year. The close out to this season was a huge step in that direction. We have gone from 4-8, 5-7, to 7 or 8 wins this year. In another year or 2 we should be competing for the SEC East. We didnt get into this mess in 1 year and we wont get out of it in 1 year.

For me, this season was nothing special. Just another blah 5 loss season without any wins over anyone above average. I've seen lots and lots of these since 1975. We did manage to change from finding ways to lose to average to bad teams, to finding ways to beat those teams. So I guess that's a good thing. This season reminded me a lot of Majors second season. Started out 2-5-1 and then beat the bottom of the SEC to win the last three. The end of year competition made things look much rosier than they were. Went on to 5 and 6 loss seasons the next two years.

You. Need. Prozac.
If looked and understood anything about the game besides, records, rankings and stars you would see how much we have improved. Reality is you are a closet bammer bandwagoner or at least you sound like one.

Well we beat a team that beat a very good team SC and we beat another that almost beat Florida. The point being were a lot better team now than we were at the beginning and that is all I was asking for. We definitely have a ways to go to beat the top SEC teams, but were on the right track. I think were looking good at every position coming back next season except WR. The DT's got a lot better as the season progressed. I think we have the youth at both linebacker and secondary that will get a lot better in the off season. Were still a few players short of getting the depth we need really looking to see how this off season goes hopefully we get some recruits still left on the board and turn a couple.

We aren’t “elite” right now. Haven’t seen anyone claim that.

And I wouldn’t even start to declare that “we’re back” until I see how we do next season. The stench of the GA State and BYU losses are not erased, just obscured by the end of season surge. Those losses were (and still are) inexcusable.

But we’re seeing progress and toughness. Not a lot of mistakes tonight!- which was something I wanted to see. The weather was a factor tonight in keeping it from being an even bigger margin of victory.

We are simply celebrating wins. If the team and coaches can dance, act silly and celebrate a win after the game, then why can’t we.
Do you think even JP would outlaw anyone celebrating after wins?

Reactions: FïreBall
MSU and Kentucky aren't bad teams. Mizzou with a healty Bryant is pretty decent too, and facing us, Bryant was probably the most healthy he had been in several weeks (though admittedly, still not 100%).

Beating teams you should beat and beating teams that are on the same level as you, is something good teams do.

I wasn't aware anyone said this was a really good team? I wasnt aware fans were saying he should win COY? Most said 5-7 to 7-5, so what's your point? Butch and Dooley started off bad and the team quit and got worse. Pruitt pulled a heck of a turnaround and this team is going up and at the middle of the pack. Again, what everyone predicted. UT played either bad teams or top 10 teams... They never had a shot at A&M or a USC or a Virginia Tech. Because they're on such a streak and playing really good defense they are one of the better 7-5 teams out there.

Those are not opinions those are simply the facts. If in your mind that's pumping sunshine, I can't help that.

You wanna borrow my wife’s LSU sweatshirt?

VN Store

Back