Realistic seating numbers for LNS.

They should build the ballpark up. Put in an upper deck. Move the fence out in right field where the parking lot is and put in a wall in left field like Fenway. The porch can go at the top

A lot of great ideas. A lot of passion among the Vol Nation. I like it! As a BS mechanical and MS industrial engineering grad with 30+ years of construction and system engineering experience, I support those who are wanting to put together a design team. It really helps to get ALL those involved, involved. Every requirement should have a 20 year ROI analysis performed. What is the right size? Do we really want a Merch store at LNS? What is the cost of keeping that up? How about a mobile merch store like at NASCAR races? How about a food truck park? How about making the facility multiple use with softball, concerts, other year round activities? Bottom line is, we could have put more students and fans in stands that did not exist. It could have been a better experience. The broadcast and video/audio could use some improvement. Let's do it, do it right, and do not create a monster we have to feed with no food. Be open to all valid requirements and all alternatives. Implement those with acceptable ROI. Go Vols!

Reactions: BigOrangeArsenal
A lot of great ideas. A lot of passion among the Vol Nation. I like it! As a BS mechanical and MS industrial engineering grad with 30+ years of construction and system engineering experience, I support those who are wanting to put together a design team. It really helps to get ALL those involved, involved. Every requirement should have a 20 year ROI analysis performed. What is the right size? Do we really want a Merch store at LNS? What is the cost of keeping that up? How about a mobile merch store like at NASCAR races? How about a food truck park? How about making the facility multiple use with softball, concerts, other year round activities? Bottom line is, we could have put more students and fans in stands that did not exist. It could have been a better experience. The broadcast and video/audio could use some improvement. Let's do it, do it right, and do not create a monster we have to feed with no food. Be open to all valid requirements and all alternatives. Implement those with acceptable ROI. Go Vols!

OK, Engineer, let's get started. I am a landscape architect, land planner, and site designer, for 40 years now.

So, if I'm Danny White, I would ask our design team: What is a realistic capacity of LNS after improvements are made, all the while keeping an aesthetic appeal to the place - i.e, what would it look like? And what would it cost to build?

Is it consensus that is our scope of services? To answer those questions?

8000 seats with design elements that could increase capacity with additional bleachers.

Concrete plazas where bleachers could be simply dropped into place for tourney play

Forward facing concourse with no concourse behind stadium at all. restrooms and concessions facing the field

Close Todd Helton Drive and push all walls back. CF needs to be over 400. Like it was before the VIP seats were added. I wonder if it’s legal to even close that road with the electrical yard and CSX using the street for access? I wonder where the buses would line up and park for football games

Plaza with suite tower on 3rd base

Good seating in right field reserved exclusively for students.

Much better lighting and sound systems

Bring Petros back into stadium

A nicer entry or entries is needed with enlarged ticket booth (s)

Baseball season ticket holders should be allowed to use stadium for football tailgates. Especially suite holders.

Reactions: 87&91ALUM
With football being in the dumps, I’m wondering if they’re considering pulling baseball into the Tennessee fund. They can grandfather existing season ticket holders in like they did w football.

OK, Engineer, let's get started. I am a landscape architect, land planner, and site designer, for 40 years now.

So, if I'm Danny White, I would ask our design team: What is a realistic capacity of LNS after improvements are made, all the while keeping an aesthetic appeal to the place - i.e, what would it look like? And what would it cost to build?

A good design team would be open to all ideas. Ideas become requirements or maybe not. Requirements become specifications. Specifications become drawings and work instructions. I appreciate architecture but, spent a lot of my time overcoming some bad architecture to gain functionality and cost effectiveness. I am leaning to the smaller, better, more return on investment than playing downtown or creating another Baum-Walker. Who are you calling our? Vol Nation posters and imposters? I take you seriously and probably the two of us could offer Danny White and whoever will plan and design this thing some good ideas. I am retired and love my alma mater so I'm good for a couple trips to the University as a gratis consultant. I know some folks over the in Reliability Centered Maintenance program that might be interested in helping out. Might be able to get some of that "green" money some folks like to throw around.

A good design team would be open to all ideas. Ideas become requirements or maybe not. Requirements become specifications. Specifications become drawings and work instructions. I appreciate architecture but, spent a lot of my time overcoming some bad architecture to gain functionality and cost effectiveness. I am leaning to the smaller, better, more return on investment than playing downtown or creating another Baum-Walker. Who are you calling our? Vol Nation posters and imposters? I take you seriously and probably the two of us could offer Danny White and whoever will plan and design this thing some good ideas. I am retired and love my alma mater so I'm good for a couple trips to the University as a gratis consultant. I know some folks over the in Reliability Centered Maintenance program that might be interested in helping out. Might be able to get some of that "green" money some folks like to throw around.

I love my alma mater, too, and would gladly give my time. I'm semi-retired now, so available, but health and pandemic issues would keep me from actually physically coming to Knoxville. But I could participate virtually. I'm not an architect, I'm a landscape architect/site designer. And land planner. So those bases are covered. We would need an architect of the building architect variety and a cost estimator, and possibly a civil engineer, unless you would play that role (there wouldn't be much civil in a rehab of LNS, I suppose). Can you think of anyone else we need? Might be good to have a contractor on board to keep things straight and real?

I agree an upgrade of LNS probably makes more sense and is more feasible than a new stadium, at least it feels that way. If I were White, I'd be pursuing that possibility and maybe the others, but if you want to focus on that, I'd be happy to.

So, first question in an upgrade scenario: I assume you would keep the central structure as is and simply add segments of new structure on down the right and left field lines, continuing the established lines of the present central structure without putting any new stress on it?

Second question: Is an upper deck feasible from a structural standpoint? You couldn't rest any of it's load on the existing structure, I would guess?

I love my alma mater, too, and would gladly give my time. I'm semi-retired now, so available, but health and pandemic issues would keep me from actually physically coming to Knoxville. But I could participate virtually. I'm not an architect, I'm a landscape architect/site designer. And land planner. So those bases are covered. We would need an architect of the building architect variety and a cost estimator, and possibly a civil engineer, unless you would play that role (there wouldn't be much civil in a rehab of LNS, I suppose). Can you think of anyone else we need? Might be good to have a contractor on board to keep things straight and real?

I agree an upgrade of LNS probably makes more sense and is more feasible than a new stadium, at least it feels that way. If I were White, I'd be pursuing that possibility and maybe the others, but if you want to focus on that, I'd be happy to.

So, first question in an upgrade scenario: I assume you would keep the central structure as is and simply add segments of new structure on down the right and left field lines, continuing the established lines of the present central structure without putting any new stress on it?

Second question: Is an upper deck feasible from a structural standpoint? You couldn't rest any of it's load on the existing structure, I would guess?

If I were in charge I would a) have the backing of the powers at be (state, city, university, athletic dept) and b) an on contract ”plan, design, and build” contractor/team of contractors. There are building permits, marketing, environmental, utilities, and a lot of people and interests ti include and consider. As far as you, me, and Vol Nation, it would be cool to have a website and/or email where interested fans and alum could read, learn, and offer free advice. I do not have enough critical information to comment on structural analysis, modifications requiring design, etc. requirements and ideas come first. I have heard some good ones. Be a great UT College of Engineering teaching project. You and I would probably be good speakers for students working a project like this. I would like to give back and share lessons learned.

Reactions: youcancallmeAl

Structural with baseball field experience.

Reactions: youcancallmeAl
Be patient. Unless White and the admin has draft drawings on their desks, this will take a while. State and local input, Boyd's push for a one stadium for all, and a detailed site survey take a while. The local legislative delegation may/probably want input. This is not as simple as Danny and Tony sketching their plan on a legal pad then telling the facilities folks to 'get it done.'

Not out of the question. They've been doing it at Neyland for decades. You can reinforce or replace columns and load bearing elements or place new columns in between. There's almost always a way. Depends on what it would cost.

Personally I like cozy confines and old school ball parks.

With football being in the dumps, I’m wondering if they’re considering pulling baseball into the Tennessee fund. They can grandfather existing season ticket holders in like they did w football.
It’s been a part of it for some time. I don’t get tickets for sports other than baseball. I don’t recall when it happened, but when the Fund started and I received the information, I called and asked if my money could still go to baseball, I was told it went in the Fund. All communications I get about postseason tickets come from the Tennessee Fund.

Reactions: Y9 Vol and txbo
It’s been a part of it for some time. I don’t get tickets for sports other than baseball. I don’t recall when it happened, but when the Fund started and I received the information, I called and asked if my money could still go to baseball, I was told it went in the Fund. All communications I get about postseason tickets come from the Tennessee Fund.
Baseball season tickets require a donation to the Tennessee fund?

Baseball season tickets require a donation to the Tennessee fund?
Generally, no. MVP seats are part of the Tennessee Fund. Other season ticket seats don’t require a contribution (that’s probably 75% of the seats). Truthfully, Tennessee season tickets are incredible deal compared to other things you can do, IMO.

Reactions: txbo

VN Store

Back